Home cinema or home theater with several bose 901

L

lepetitpoussin

Enthusiast
I was just thinking that, but he could use a prepro, like the Outlaw or the Emotiva, and separate amps, and put the equalizers in the signal path between the prepro and the amps.
Ahhh excellent.
Ok I understand. This is an artifice of pluging. It reminds me mathematic with integral :D

L

lepetitpoussin

Enthusiast
I did a sketch.
I prepare a plan for the material.
This is simple but give a good idea of my purpo
sketch.jpg
se

L

lepetitpoussin

Enthusiast
So following Irvrobinson, recommandations, I upgrade my sketch.
No additionnal EQ, exept bose EQ for the 901 speakers
So now I have to define the center speaker.
S
sketch_material_1.jpg

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Your block diagram doesn't have amp channels in it. The 975 is a pre-processor only.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good job @Irvrobinson on that pre-pro, forgot completely about it. However, to use the Bose EQ via that loop, you won't be able to use digital audio sources like via hdmi. Page 21 http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/Model 975_OM_Spread.pdf

I'd try the Bose without a center. Properly setup/positioned the Bose should do a good job of creating a phantom center. You still need a sub, though.

FWIW I built a pair of the BR-1s the Phiharmonic AA is based on (and separately purchased a set of crossovers from Dennis recently for a new build). Very nice speaker for the money. The Bose 901 version you have I haven't heard, but did hear well setup ones back in the 70s and thought they were very nice, would love to hear how they work out in your theater plan. Probably play louder than the BR-1/AA can....but that was a long time ago.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Good job @Irvrobinson on that pre-pro, forgot completely about it. However, to use the Bose EQ via that loop, you won't be able to use digital audio sources like via hdmi. Page 21 http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/Model 975_OM_Spread.pdf
You have misunderstood my recommendation. I am suggesting that the outputs of the 975 that would normally go to amp channels be routed to the inputs of the Bose equalizer, and the outputs of the equalizer go to the amps. In the OP's case it's just two equalizers and four amp channels.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was just thinking that, but he could use a prepro, like the Outlaw or the Emotiva, and separate amps, and put the equalizers in the signal path between the prepro and the amps.
Ah, missed this for my previous post about the digital sources. That would work, doh! Tape loop on the brain....

L

lepetitpoussin

Enthusiast
OK,
SO I upgrade my sketch and we exchange tomorrow.
Thank you very much for your helps guys. GREAAATTTTTT :D:D:D:D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
OK,
SO I upgrade my sketch and we exchange tomorrow.
Thank you very much for your helps guys. GREAAATTTTTT :D:D:D:D
I just hope you know those 901s as well as you think you do.

Yes, you have found it is possible to use them for HT, but will you like it? I very much doubt it. Honestly I can't think of a worse speaker for home theater, the main reason being is that their speech discrimination is just plain awful.

Only 11% of the sound is forward radiated and the rest goes to the wall, literally.

I come form a time when these speakers were common. I used to get to fix them. Don't try and play them loud or you will be looking for spare drivers. Also make sure you cross to the sub very high for HT.

Those full range speakers are not quality units. Back in the day I could buy OEM replacements for $3.50 and sometimes $1.50 a piece.

The first 901swere sealed and you could at least attempt Eq. However the drivers did not tolerate a lot of power as they were not high excursion speakers. They were lean on the bass, but reasonably clean at moderate volumes.

Then they came out with the tuned version and the problems really escalated. They were tuned boomy, and you can't Eq a ported enclosure, because the drivers decouple from the cabinets, and driver excursion becomes grossly excessive and futile. With no back pressure from the sealed enclosure, these ported version really ate up drivers. This series of the 901s I think are candidates for the worst speakers I ever have encountered.

L

lepetitpoussin

Enthusiast
Hello,
ouah. thank you for this explanation.
It was also one reason to join this forum and exchange with you.
have good remarks and know if my project hase sense.
I understand that it has a minor sense and for some others NO SENSE :cool:

So my speakers are already at their top and try a further integration could be waste of money, energy and time. So thank you.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
A lot of folks here don't like Bose speakers so get ready for some harsh feedback! However, You could use 4 901's for the two fronts and 2 surrounds. However, I would not use a 901 for center channel use. You would need to find a dedicated center channel speaker for that function.

Are they old Bose 901's . The old Bose is much better than the new stuff.
I agree; Bose is just not a go to brand. Materials are generally cheap. Also cabinet build is weak. Bose is a great marketing company, but crappy overpriced products. Don't believe me? Go to Bosesucks.com or Bose Sucks. You can read for at least a month. Everyone out there who knows nothing about A/V think it's great. They spend a ton on advertising. I can also tell you they are also unethical, and if you are interested, I could go into all of that later. There products are also proprietary.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis