Home cinema or home theater with several bose 901

L

lepetitpoussin

Enthusiast
Hi,
Does anyone have an idea if it is possible to use bose 901 to have a big home theater or big home cinema.
The price of those speakers is low enough to let imagine new way of using them.
Don't you think.
But I am too beginner to have an good idea of a working solution....
If I could have some help

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
A lot of folks here don't like Bose speakers so get ready for some harsh feedback! However, You could use 4 901's for the two fronts and 2 surrounds. However, I would not use a 901 for center channel use. You would need to find a dedicated center channel speaker for that function.

Are they old Bose 901's . The old Bose is much better than the new stuff.

L

lepetitpoussin

Enthusiast
Yeahh, Thanks for your answer.
I know, bose is often called "bouse" which in french means cowshit :mad::D:eek:... .
mine is from 1990.
I realy like them and would like to upgrade them in some more complete system.
So any type of amplifyer you would recommand ?

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
If you like them then that is all that matters. What is your budget for an amp (AVR)??

L

lepetitpoussin

Enthusiast
I haven't thought about the budget, because, to me, first step was to make sure that this is technically possible.

Indeed, I have no idea for the center speaker, amp...

Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
Yes it is technically possible. A speaker is a speaker. However, Audio/Video amps (AVR's) can run anywhere from $300 to several thousand dollars so I would need to know what you are willing to spend on one to make a suggestion?

L

lepetitpoussin

Enthusiast
$1000 seems to be a good budget to me. what do you think?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do your 901s require the outboard eq units that need a tape loop in the integrated amp/receiver?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Don't take offense because it's not directed solely at you, but many who like Bose haven't gotten out and heard much else that costs the same.

L

lepetitpoussin

Enthusiast
lol.
I am really not offended. And you are probably right.:)
I had my speakers as an opportunity and I am trying to get the best of it . I haven't an experience from other solutions.
So No problem for me. If you can suggest me a solution that could be the equivalent to my purpose I will improve my knowledge and will try to understand the pros and cons.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the 901s could make for passable surround speakers. I would not want to use them as any of the front stage speakers.

L

lepetitpoussin

Enthusiast
Thank you Shady.
Exept Dan, every body explains me how nothing is possible. I have to say that also Dan told me I should stay straight towards harsh feedbacks.
So may I have more suggestion to go forward ..o_O

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Modern avrs generally do not have that feature....
I was just thinking that, but he could use a prepro, like the Outlaw or the Emotiva, and separate amps, and put the equalizers in the signal path between the prepro and the amps.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was just thinking that, but he could use a prepro, like the Outlaw or the Emotiva, and separate amps, and put the equalizers in the signal path between the prepro and the amps.
Maybe not for $ 1000...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis