Lfe xover on integra dtr 7.8

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It only affects LFE content, which is the .1 channel in content that has such; a movie for example (some multichannel music uses this as well but not as standardized like a movie). Has nothing to do with your 2ch music mixed by your avr to 2.1.

Google images for "80 hz crossover" (because they're more numerous) and look at the graphs to visualize examples of how the rolloff works in each direction in a crossover. Why do you want a 60 hz crossover particularly?
only because it's what deftech recommended, and the main speakers do play surprisingly low. I feel my mains are definitely the better quality speakers compared to my subs (klipsch rpw 10's), so in my mind I'd want them handling as much of the frequency as they can. leaving my inferior subs just filling in the lower end.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
only because it's what deftech recommended, and the main speakers do play surprisingly low. I feel my mains are definitely the better quality speakers compared to my subs (klipsch rpw 10's), so in my mind I'd want them handling as much of the frequency as they can. leaving my inferior subs just filling in the lower end.
Their measured -3dB point is 44 hz but how loudly can they play that low? I'd still go with the subs' 10" cones having more capability than the PR supported 6.5" cones, probably set crossover to 80 or 100 to start myself. Still, its a preference thing but I'd listen at each crossover and make a decision that way, certainly not on something DT has to say (they're not famous for being straightforward with low end extension capabilities).

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
There is a crossover between your speakers and the sub; 80 hz is a good starting point generally. Are you using the Audyssey XT setup? What did it recommend for each speaker? You don't have a separate LFE crossover but you do have the LPF of LFE setting, which is simply a limit on the content that has a .1 ch, and since the LFE channel is normally limited to 120hz that is the usual setting.
With music playing (stereo) I found the sub to be "boomy" with lpf of lfe set to 120. Lowered to 80 (same as fronts) and def cleared that up. So far all the music is sounding perfect, not noticing any flat response like I was with the lpf at 120. Odd, but at least its extremely enjoyable now. And the sub seems to be turning on as it should at 80hz (issues seem to appear when set at 120hz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
With music playing (stereo) I found the sub to be "boomy" with lpf of lfe set to 120. Lowered to 80 (same as fronts) and def cleared that up. So far all the music is sounding perfect, not noticing any flat response like I was with the lpf at 120. Odd, but at least its extremely enjoyable now. And the sub seems to be turning on as it should at 80hz (issues seem to appear when set at 120hz
Shouldn't have an effect on 2.0 source. Are you talking about the LPF of LFE in your avr or the LPF adjustment on the sub itself? I just tried on both my Denon and Onkyo avrs changing LPF of LFE to 80 from 120 and could tell no difference with a 2.0 source played in 2.1 mode....

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
At first I tried turning the filter on the back of the sub down, and instantly the "boomy echo" went away. Turned the dial all the way up and set the lpf on the receiver to 80hz and had the same effect. Possibly the sub is poor at higher frequencies? (I always thought anything under 120 was a safe zone for a sub). Also noticed the boomy echo through dialogue when set at 120 but not 80. Possibly bad sub placement or effects in the room at those frequencies? Never had this issue before.

Music 2.0 from anthem.

Kind of stumped but I can't complain bc it sounds as it should (to me at least lol)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
At first I tried turning the filter on the back of the sub down, and instantly the "boomy echo" went away. Turned the dial all the way up and set the lpf on the receiver to 80hz and had the same effect. Possibly the sub is poor at higher frequencies? (I always thought anything under 120 was a safe zone for a sub). Also noticed the boomy echo through dialogue when set at 120 but not 80. Possibly bad sub placement or effects in the room at those frequencies? Never had this issue before.

Music 2.0 from anthem.

Kind of stumped but I can't complain bc it sounds as it should (to me at least lol)
Sounds like localization issue, could easily be in part placement (how did you choose location?). Not all subs do well at 120 and below, some roll off above 80-90, haven't got specs for the Sub1200 in any case. Many do an 80hz xover due to localization issues, some are more sensitive to it perhaps as well.

Thought this was an Integra 7.8....or what is anthem in this respect?

Hard to argue with something that sounds good in any case ;)

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Integra receiver, anthem bluray. I'm thinking it's a simple case of if it isn't broke don't fix it haha.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis