What EXACTLY powered by an amplifirer from a preamp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Whether the power amp is class D or not is irrelevant. Some pro amps like a Crown XLS Drivecore amp can take an rca connection, the Behringer doesn't, you'll need to use an adapter cable for the Behringer.

B

Buff

Enthusiast
OK. Thanks for the response. You know what you're talking about.

Is there a video on this site or Youtube that shows EXACTLY HOW this setup works?.

This isn't standard operating procedure for the HI-FI world.

Most people are completely unaware of it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Is there a video on this site or Youtube that shows EXACTLY HOW this setup works?.

What is hifi world? If you can't connect these two types of units together you aren't even in hifi world yet.

You connect one unit to the other. It's easy peasy, no need for a video. The instruction manual for both the pre/pro/avr and the amp should have connection diagrams and types of connections available. If you have a pre/pro/avr with balanced outputs (XLR) then the proamps can take those directly, but if your pre/pro/avr has only rca outputs as is fairly normal, and want to use the Behringer then perhaps you want an rca to xlr cable or an rca to 1/4" TS cable.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

We don't seem to understand your problem here??? This is pretty much SOP work, why do you think that it is not? Because it is mixing "consumer gear" and "professional gear"

Source --> Pre-amp-->Amp -->Speakers--> Music Into the room

Where are you having problems here?

Try asking questions other than "Exactly How"

B

Buff

Enthusiast
What is hifi world? If you can't connect these two types of units together you aren't even in hifi world yet.

You connect one unit to the other. It's easy peasy, no need for a video. The instruction manual for both the pre/pro/avr and the amp should have connection diagrams and types of connections available. If you have a pre/pro/avr with balanced outputs (XLR) then the proamps can take those directly, but if your pre/pro/avr has only rca outputs as is fairly normal, and want to use the Behringer then perhaps you want an rca to xlr cable or an rca to 1/4" TS cable.

B

Buff

Enthusiast
OK. Thanks.

No. I am NOT in the league of HI-FI folks here. I'll NEVER spend $1,500 for a SW. Or 50K on a set of speakers. I live in a townhome. A BIG and sound insulated one. But still my neighbors are a single wall away.

I'm getting closer to my answers, so thanks.

B

Buff

Enthusiast
I didn't ask just HOW but WHY is it preferred and yet most big name manufacturers don't make ClassD amps for home use.

I figured I'd get the "down the nose" responses. It's no different than in almost any forum but it's ESPECIALLY noted in audio for some reason?.

Your response truly did NOT help me at all.

Now I realize why I was paid so much to teach physicians medical devices and LIKE doing it. Because I never make a reaponse like you did.

But I'm sure it was good for you.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You still haven't asked a clear and concise question, that makes it difficult to give a clear and concise answer!

Class A or A/B has a particular set of advantages/disadvantages when comparing to class D.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hello-

My FIRST question here and I'm NEW.
Welcome, I hope I can be of help.

I took a year of university physics but electricity-WEIRD-"right hand rule"(what's the left hand rule?), I know the equations, or at least I cannfind them in my book.
I know that fish out of water feeling.

Presently I have a Sony STRDN1040,
I'll come back to this later.

POLK; PS125SW, set of MONITOR II 70S and a set of RTIA9s.
The RTIA9 outclasses both your Monitor 70 series IIs and the PSW125.

I am running the MONITORs through my "surround" channs and the RTIA9s though the FRONT speaker channels. But BOTH SETS of speakers are in the front. So, in fact, I have quasi 2.1 system with 2 sets of speakers. The arrangement sounds amazing.
That's an interesting arrangement, certainly it sounds like a wall of sound as long as the receiver's not running out of steam, but I'd chance that it is. This is where I come back to the Sony receiver. The STR-DN1040 is an entry level to mid level receiver and is more feature based than quality centric. The Sony receiver has a very small power supply, even compared to comparably priced models from other manufacturers such as Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha. Because you're running two pair full range towers off a puny power supply I'd guess you'd be lucky to be getting 40 watts going to each speaker before the receiver starts running into serious trouble.

I know what you're thinking when I say this and I'll post the specifications here so I can explain it.

Sony said:
(165W x 7 @ 8ohms 1kHz 0.9% THD with 1 ch. driven
VERY deceptive rating to the laymen. Basically they're saying that while a tone is being generated (1kHz) and being played through the receiver on a dummy load (not an actual speaker, but a resistor) the receiver can at least momentarily output 165 watts into ONE of it's seven amplifier channels with a distortion of 0.9% THD (generally anything over 1% is considered unacceptable distortion for a full range amplifier). So basically they're trying to appeal to the slightly educated home audio buyer down to the Joe Schmoe who only understands one thing "More watts means louder sound".

That receiver, with it's smaller than typical power supply and typical Sony caution, probably only manages 30 watts a channel with the 4 channels being driven. This I am basing on Sony's history of caution in regards to overload protection because they recognize that a large number of buyers that favor Sony as their brand for audio equipment like to get a little overzealous with the volume control. If their product breaks routinely because of ignorant abuse of their products they become "unreliable" products in their target audience. They'd rather be labeled "reliable but not the best sounding" than "really awesome sound, when it works". I believe this is probably do to Japanese ideology and their pride in producing reliable products.

I've listened to numerous high end speakers. The Def Techs had an enormous sound stage and tight low bass.
I imagine you must have been listening to some of their powered towers. Well they're partly powered. Their big towers have powered subwoofers integrated into them. Definitive Technology powered towers are a mid-fi home theater receiver's best friend because the receiver and the speaker split the power requirements.

The Martin Logans had an ethereal quality to their sound. No doubt this was due to their ribbon tweeter.
Could well be, unless you were listening to their electrostatics.

I first heard this effect when I was 17 in a pair of Infinity RSIII. I was hooked on-if not "high end"-then at least "OK -end" sound systems.
My first personal experience with high fidelity was also with Infinity speakers. I still have and use them to this day. I love them.

I played trumpet for 12 years and have an gift for tone. I never worked on it. It just was. I am nearly pitch-perfect. But everyone who I have met who is truly pitch perfect are kinda...odd. So, I say "nearly" pitch perfect.
What an odd thing to say. ;)

I wanted to buy a set of Triton Ones. And might someday. I do like Sandy Gross' work.
Similar designs to the Definitive Technologies large power towers, so it stands to reason they'd be something you would like.

My problem is the RTIA9s. My little Sony just doesn't have the power to move its drivers. The speakers take between 50-500 watts.
The receiver you're using doesn't have the dynamic power you need, especially while running two pair of speakers.

I am not interested in a 11.2 system. At most I will have a 5.1. I don't watch many blockbuster films, so my emphasis is on audio and visual is secondary.
Have you ever had a 5.1 system setup or just stereo?

Seems recievers-even expensive, high end models don't have sufficient power in my view. They do have numerous add-ons and features but power? No.
You might be surprised how much more power some of these receivers have over your current model even if the specifications you're looking at seem to indicate otherwise. We can probably help you with that.

Then I saw a review on Amazon of someone using a Crown amplifier to power their sound system. To my joy the things have MASSIVE power and are relatively cheap.
The XLS Core series amplifiers are a very popular recommendation and they're very cost effective. Unfortunately as someone else said in this thread your current receiver is not compatible, you'd have to get a preamplifier or at least a receiver with a full set of preouts.

But HOW does one set that up?. Is it a smart thing to do, electrically? Is there loss of higher frequency output?(I've heard this from some people who've tried it. Also from Marantz; "Beware ClassD amplifiers because you'll experience high frequency loss in your music. BTW we do have a ClassD amplifier, M1, that we make and has NONE of those problems because of our engineers fixed it.")
If you buy junk maybe, but an example like Crown XLS Core would not have this issue.

And someone mentioned that there are videos on this site on how to correctly hook up a preamp to one of these classD amps?.
I believe it was mentioned already, but the Crown XLS Core series have regular RCA (Phono) inputs, connecting them to a preamplifier would be a breeze. If you bought a professional amplifier that only had TRS and XLR inputs there's inexpensive one piece adapter solutions to adapt phono to TRS and or XLR (Balanced).

I am fearful that I will lose the great sound thatI have in my lil' Sony if I change to a new system. The Sony just isn't able to power the whole system.
You're not going to be disappointed if you upgrade that receiver. I'm sure it sounds fine, but for the most part most receivers sound pretty much the same until they're operating less than optimally, which it sounds like yours is doing regularly when you listen at higher volumes.

That was A LOT longer than I wanted it to be.
It's taken me the better part of 2 hours to put together this response, but I don't mind.

But maybe I'll just have to ask once and everyone will know exactly what I'm attempting to do. And then all chime in with your disperate and PASSIONATE (oh, I've read through the forums!) views.on how to guide and help?.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
I hope that some of this was informative and opens a few doors and gets you asking some good questions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. Good grief, education certainly isn't what it once was. Can't even write coherently, let alone post.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I didn't ask just HOW but WHY is it preferred and yet most big name manufacturers don't make ClassD amps for home use.
Probably a similar reason as to why we aren't driving flying cars, or why the entire world hasn't adopted a more efficient means of energy production, economic reasons.

I figured I'd get the "down the nose" responses. It's no different than in almost any forum but it's ESPECIALLY noted in audio for some reason?
Who gave you a down the nose response? I'm confused by this statement. I came here humble and ready to help, and it appears others did as well. If the information doesn't quite jive with what you were expecting that doesn't mean we're being high and mighty with you, but we can be a bit blunt.

Your response truly did NOT help me at all.
I'm guessing you're referring to the youtube instructional comment? That would probably be a difficult thing to find on youtube if I'm honest, you'd probably have as good of luck finding a video on youtube that answers what you're asking as I would. However we can explain it, no trouble here.

Now I realize why I was paid so much to teach physicians medical devices and LIKE doing it. Because I never make a reaponse like you did.

But I'm sure it was good for you.
I can't speak for whoever offended you, but I certainly didn't come here to speak down to you. I like to help and share information. I wouldn't have spent 2 hours of my time making my lengthy response to your original post just to be a jerk to you.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't have spent 2 hours of my time making my lengthy response to your original post just to be a jerk to you.
You really did go above and beyond. So sorry it seems to have been wasted on this nut. FWIW, I will say "Thank You". And perhaps worth even less, I "liked" your answers so at least something comes back to you.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I figured I'd get the "down the nose" responses. It's no different than in almost any forum but it's ESPECIALLY noted in audio for some reason?.
...Class A or A/B has a particular set of advantages/disadvantages when comparing to class D.
truck. I thought I got rid of this forum
Welcome, I hope I can be of help.... It's taken me the better part of 2 hours to put together this response, but I don't mind.
I hope just writing THAT gets my account deleted.
"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." - Raylan Givens, "Justified"

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I could tell this bloke was a nut job in his first post and therefore avoided wasting time with him.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I could tell this bloke was a nut job in his first post and therefore avoided wasting time with him.
I can only hope that one day I will wise enough to pick up on this early enough to avoid wasting copious amounts of my time.

I appreciate the thought of those above who liked my lengthy post. It would have been more rewarding to see it actually have helped OP gain some perspective on how to improve his arrangement. I'm not a wholly selfless person (I don't know of anyone that is), I do enjoy knowing that advise or what limited knowledge I have imparted upon another has value to them and helps them with what they would like to accomplish. That's a big part of why I do what I do. I also enjoy conversing about audio as I'm sure many of the rest of you do as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis