10k budget for mains

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I bet they are nice but I can't spend 15k on speakers that I've never heard before.
Excellent rule. I won't spend any money on speakers without hearing them, especially large ones that are a pain to ship.

B

Buff

Enthusiast
You have to be honest with yourself and ask yourself if the potential new speakers truly sound THAT much better than your current speakers. :)

Or is the grass just greener on the other side? :D

It is very subjective. You've seen polls on what people think are the "best" speakers. The poll results are all over creation. :)

You ask 100 guys. You get 100 different speakers.

What are your objectives? Aesthetic? Pride of ownership/resale value? Popularity? Detail/resolution? Bass?
THAT is wise reply.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
THAT is wise reply.
Thanks. I might just have learned a thing or two from owning about 20 different systems. :D

And probably one reason I've owned about 20 different systems was because everyone tells me this system or that system is just somehow better or more special. ;)

C

class a

Junior Audioholic
I would also check out the Bryston line of speakers.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
What do you have now? What didn't you like about the PSB T3? Since you are in Canada, have you checked out Focus Audio, not to be confused with Focal, or Gershman ?

http://www.gershmanacoustics.com

http://focusuadio.com
I have Totem Forests which are beautiful but lets face it, they are a small tower. I am looking for something that can move a lot of air. The 802 and the new 803s do this. The 803 is beautiful but is 20k CAD. That's too much for that. I am a fan of used equipment in 9/10 or 10/10 condition. The T2s are beautiful as well but for 10k new.... I am not sure. I am seriously contemplating on Revel Salon2... I know I know..... everyone thinks they are amazing.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
So i just finished auditioning the Salon2s and... well.... I don't know. Yes they are great but they are definitely made for a large room. My totem forests don't play as loud but I think the sound quality is comparable. The Totem forests are 4k CAD new and the Salon2s are 22k US new. Huge difference in power between the 2 speakers but the sound quality is comparable. The totem might even be more musical. Call me crazy!

EDIT***

On the other hand, the tweeter on the Salon2s are nice. I noticed them right away. Clear, loud, and nice sounding.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
So i just finished auditioning the Salon2s and... well.... I don't know. Yes they are great but they are definitely made for a large room. My totem forests don't play as loud but I think the sound quality is comparable. The Totem forests are 4k CAD new and the Salon2s are 22k US new. Huge difference in power between the 2 speakers but the sound quality is comparable. The totem might even be more musical. Call me crazy!
I've never understood what people mean when they say a speaker is more "musical." Presumably, the most musical speaker is one that reproduces the input signal most faithfully. What else is there about a speaker that could make it more musical? After all, speakers aren't musical instruments. They're music reproducers. Although a defect in a particular speaker's frequency response might compensate for an opposing defect in a particular recording, it will exaggerate a defect in a recording that errs in the same direction as the speaker. Of course, you might have picked up on a problem with the Salon that represents a departure from accuracy. It's just difficult to determine your precise meaning so far.
BTW, I haven't heard the Salon2 except in a double-wide mobile home at an audio show, and the program material was gun shots at 100 dB. They were very loud.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Presumably, the most musical speaker is one that reproduces the input signal most faithfully.
I guess that's what I mean by musical. Accurate.. Better sounding music. Hence, more musical. P.S. I've heard that you make some pretty awesome speakers.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I've never understood what people mean when they say a speaker is more "musical." Presumably, the most musical speaker is one that reproduces the input signal most faithfully. What else is there about a speaker that could make it more musical? After all, speakers aren't musical instruments. They're music reproducers. Although a defect in a particular speaker's frequency response might compensate for an opposing defect in a particular recording, it will exaggerate a defect in a recording that errs in the same direction as the speaker. Of course, you might have picked up on a problem with the Salon that represents a departure from accuracy. It's just difficult to determine your precise meaning so far.
BTW, I haven't heard the Salon2 except in a double-wide mobile home at an audio show, and the program material was gun shots at 100 dB. They were very loud.
I agree with you. Speakers are either accurate or they're not. Speakers can sound very pleasant and not be accurate, but I find that most of those "pleasant sounding but inaccurate" speakers have colorations that give different recordings a particular signature, that you can train yourself to hear.

I have found over the years that many people I run into are afraid to test their systems for accuracy, as if they know they're not accurate and they don't want to know the truth. All it takes are some relatively simple home-made recordings of either musical instruments, voices, mechanical things... whatever... made with a handheld digital recorder. It doesn't seem to take a remarkable audio memory either. For example, everyone seems to know when someone they're familiar with singing sounds wrong. A deep male voice is actually a pretty interesting test.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I guess that's what I mean by musical. Accurate.. Better sounding music. Hence, more musical. P.S. I've heard that you make some pretty awesome speakers.
I would have to hear the Totems and Salons together before i could say I agree or disagree. Both speakers have very devout followers. But at least we seem to be on the same wave length regarding the primary function of loudspeakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don't think there are any questions as to the Salon 2's accuracy. It is an accurate speaker. Sounds very good too.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think there are any questions as to the Salon 2's accuracy. It is an accurate speaker. Sounds very good too.
The Salon2 is a relatively accurate speaker. However, hearing some of my vocal recordings through Soundlab A-1PX electrostatics, it sounded more "real" than I've heard through my Salon2s. Piano sounded more accurate on the Salon2s, I thought, but the Soundlabs sounded so real on those vocals that either Harmon has some work to do for a Salon3, or perhaps I was hearing a euphonic coloration on the Soundlabs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I trust the measurements more than I trust anyone's ears. Soundlabs are damn nice speakers though.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Salon2 is a relatively accurate speaker. However, hearing some of my vocal recordings through Soundlab A-1PX electrostatics, it sounded more "real" than I've heard through my Salon2s. Piano sounded more accurate on the Salon2s, I thought, but the Soundlabs sounded so real on those vocals that either Harmon has some work to do for a Salon3, or perhaps I was hearing a euphonic coloration on the Soundlabs.
Would love to hear electrostatic speakers like that, have read so much good things about their sound! Most likely can't afford to buy a pair tho, but still I would like to know how they sound like.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Would love to hear electrostatic speakers like that, have read so much good things about their sound! Most likely can't afford to buy a pair tho, but still I would like to know how they sound like.
The Soundlabs are very expensive (~$41K, for the top of the line models), but the real impediment for me, why I'll probably never own a pair, even second-hand, is that they're huge. The ones I covet are about 84" x 43", and you can't really appreciate how big that is until you see them in person. I have a pretty big room, but two of these monsters would be overwhelming. And, IMO, you still need one or more subs. I'm thinking I'll just have to suffer through life with Salon2s for a while.

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I would have to hear the Totems and Salons together before i could say I agree or disagree. Both speakers have very devout followers. But at least we seem to be on the same wave length regarding the primary function of loudspeakers.
I am sure we can agree on more than that, sir.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My totem forests don't play as loud but I think the sound quality is comparable.
If the sound is "comparable", then the more expensive speaker isn't worth the money IMO.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have Totem Forests which are beautiful but lets face it, they are a small tower. I am looking for something that can move a lot of air. The 802 and the new 803s do this. The 803 is beautiful but is 20k CAD. That's too much for that. I am a fan of used equipment in 9/10 or 10/10 condition. The T2s are beautiful as well but for 10k new.... I am not sure. I am seriously contemplating on Revel Salon2... I know I know..... everyone thinks they are amazing.
But you haven't answered my question what about the T3 don't you like? You mentioned the T2, not the T3 in your response

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis