Clueless User + Budget Pioneer Setup

P

puterg33k

Audiophyte
Hey all, thanks for checking out my thread. I'm new to surround sound, and I've currently invested into a Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 setup coupled with Pioneer VSX-522-K.

I never actually intended to purchase surround sound, however, the sales people at Best Buy convinced me when I'd recently purchased my new 60" TV. So, here I am, completely clueless about how to use/setup this thing accept for the instructions provided (might as well be Greek).

In Best Buys defense; they gave me an amazing deal on the receiver, speakers, warranty's, and setup/installation. Not to mention my TV was on sale at the time, it just all made sense, until I got it home and tried to use it. I ended up getting the Pioneer 5.1 and the Pioneer receiver for just over 500 dollars, and that came with a 4 year warranty on everything.

So, let me give you the particulars; my room is 14ft wide x 19ft long x 16.5ft high (vaulted ceilings, no room under the flooring), I have Pergo wood-ish flooring, and virtually no where to hide the speaker wires (wife's already killed me, she will continue to kill me until I hide these wires:confused:). The room isn't completely closed off, it's open on the left side on both front and rear channels/speakers, and I have no idea where or how I'm going to mount the rear bookshelf speakers. I've also purchased the Rocketfish RF-WHTIB-A (wireless speaker thingy) to hook-up the rear speakers and minimize the wire clutter. Though, I fear I might have mistakenly done so, as the Rocketfish thingy is only rated for 30 Watts RMS x 2, and I've read a little about amplifier clipping, though I don't understand most of what I've read. I hope that's not what I'm doing to my speakers, to try to alleviate clipping I've yet to turn my receiver passed 50.

Overall, I feel as if I've bitten off way more than I can chew. I'm in way over my head, and I appreciate any help or suggestions from anyone. I acknowledge that I have much to learn, I did read on another post from Adam that the Pioneer VSX-522-K doesn't use On Screen Display (OSD) unless you use RCA inputs. However, I have everything hooked up via HDMI.

Thanks again, I apprecaite any input.
-Frank

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I would recommend not using the rocketfish device if possible. The rears don't use nearly as much power as the others but turning it up will not sound good regardless of it clips.

Are you able to route the wires behind baseboards and underneath thresholds? Is there an attic space that wires could be hidden?

P

puterg33k

Audiophyte
I would recommend not using the rocketfish device if possible. The rears don't use nearly as much power as the others but turning it up will not sound good regardless of it clips.

Are you able to route the wires behind baseboards and underneath thresholds? Is there an attic space that wires could be hidden?
No Sir/Mam, there's no attic, I do have thresholds and baseboards. That's a great idea, can remove them and tuck wires behind them. I've since then checked out various youtube howto's.

Thanks,
-Frank

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Wires are just the devil that comes with speaker systems, two options, hide them or don't..

Can we have some pics of the system and the room so we can give you some ideas...

P

puterg33k

Audiophyte
Here are some photos, I know it's a mess lol, I just moved in. Again, any help/suggestions would be great. :eek: I'd hate to leave my bookshelf speakers like that, I really would like to mount them somewhere high up, but I've been reading that might degrade the sound quality quite a bit. But leaving that speaker in the kitchen will eventually warp it, and that's a no go :(

Oh, again, I have no idea how to setup crossovers or anything on my Pioneer VSX-522-K, and I don't have the dang OSD (using HDMI). I was wondering if I needed OSD to configure everything, I never see anything that says crossover when I mess with the settings on the remote.:confused: I know there's a setting on my subwoofer that allows me to adjust it from 150-50, I left it in the middle because I have no idea what to do with it.

Thanks all,
-Frank :)

P

puterg33k

Audiophyte
Sorry about the mess, I just moved in...:eek:

So, one of the things I'm having trouble with is that I can't get OSD to work using HDMI and I can't access the crossover settings for my speakers via the Pioneer VSX-522-K. I've been through the manual, but not having much luck, is there something I'm missing?

Also the sub woofer provided with the Pioneer SP-PK52FS (SW-8MK2) has a setting for crossover right on it, however, I left it stock in the middle where it was because I don't know where to put it.

Thanks again,
-Frank

P

puterg33k

Audiophyte
Hey, sorry everyone. I've tried several times over the last few days to post my pictures. It allows me to create the post, but it never shows up after I make it. So, In my last ditch effort, I'll just link to the photos I uploaded on photobucket.

Errr, please forgive my mess. Preparing for a new addition to the family and we just moved in, so it's a bit of a mess :eek:

I'm not able to configure my crossover via my Pioneer VSX-522-K, and the sub woofer on my Pioneer SP-FS52FS was left at the stock configuration due to me not knowing anything about all this stuff. :(

Here are the links, sorry, again. I've tried several times to post them on here and the forum never shows my posts.

Home Theater Photos by puterg33k | Photobucket

Thanks all,
-Frank

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
As far as wires go I am going to stick with my previous suggestion if possible. It might be an idea to put the sub in the corner of the room, you will get 'more' output from it. The trade off is that the sound might get boomy (peaks and nulls) however you might need the output for a room that size. Your call!

P

puterg33k

Audiophyte
The sub is plenty loud for me, when best buy installed everything they mention that the hardwood floors and the vaulted ceilings would make that sub really stand out. I honestly don't have any problems with the amount of base. My biggest issue is configuring this receiver, I'm considering taking it back but the price I got on it is insane, I can't really legitimize spending more. I got it for 100 bucks with a 4 year BB warranty (they'll just hand me a new one, no questions).

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum, Frank!

Does your TV have an RCA video input? If so, I recommend doing that to get the OSD for the MCACC auto setup. If you haven't run that setup, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's one of the best features. :) You can run it without the OSD, but it's a bit trickier to follow the menu on the receiver's display. At least, I'm assuming that it will show up on the receiver's display, because it does on mine (I have an older Pioneer VSX-23). If you need any help with the setup, just let us know. I'd be happy to help you through it. I just haven't been on this forum in a couple of days.

As for the wires, I'm right there with you. (For years, I ran wires out in the open along the base of my walls to my rear speakers. I ended up putting flight wire under the carpet when I got new carpet installed, but you don't have that option.) If you don't find a good solution, and your marriage matters to you :D, then you always have the option of running a 3.1 system without any rear speakers - that will still sound a lot better than the built-in TV speakers. Hopefully you can find a good way, though. You can run it behind baseboards (as suggested already), or you could get wire covers that you can put over the wires and paint to help them blend into the walls/ceiling.

That's a nice place that you have there. The rear speaker inside of the kitchen is a bit non-optimal :p, because it's obstructed by a wall. How is the orientation of that speaker relative to your seats if you place it on the wall by the kitchen near the lamp?

P

puterg33k

Audiophyte
Welcome to the forum, Frank!

That's a nice place that you have there. The rear speaker inside of the kitchen is a bit non-optimal :p, because it's obstructed by a wall. How is the orientation of that speaker relative to your seats if you place it on the wall by the kitchen near the lamp?
Thanks Adam, the speaker in the kitchen is pointed right at the sofa. I finally figured out how to change the crossover, I set it to 80 (not even sure why I did, best but had it at 200 previously.) I really want to find a way to mount these bookshelves to the wall, however, it's beyond me lol.

Hopefully it sounds good tonight for the Canelo and Mayweather fight...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis