Tekton Enzo - The most inexpensive speakers that is in the league with high-end speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I dont understand all the negative comments about him on AVSforum...
I take it that people who did not get the speakers in time just simply stopped calling alltogether... and since he is so swamped with orders he forgot about the orders lol..
My advice is to just keep in touch once a week or something to check up on your order...
Don't understand? And LOL? Here's some better advice.
Utah has consumer protection laws and the ability to fine people and businesses as well as bring other legal action against them for violating those laws. For example, if a consumer is promised a product or a service in a specified time frame, it is the legal obligation of that entity to deliver the goods. How many times has Tekton violated that provision?
if a delivery date must be extended, the entity must notify the consumer and obtain their permission to do so. How many times has that happened?
if a product is sold that is not what the customer ordered, like a speaker that was supposed to be drilled out to accept grills but wasn't, then that's a violation.
if you make a deposit, you're to receive a dated receipt.
if you ask for your money back, he's got a defined time window, 30 days I believe, to do so.
complaints can be directed here: Utah Division of Consumer Protection

What I do understand is that consumers aren't aware of the laws that protect them and as a result are allowing these fraudulent transgressions to occur.

P.S. When I spoke to Eric tonigtht I couldnt order because it was like 9:00 p.m and he was out with his company team having dinner so I am gonna place my order tommorow. I told him that I would eventually get the eNZO's for 2.0 music maybe a year down the line and asked him what amps and cables he recommends with his eNZO's. He said he has a few of them, and that he will tell me tommorow. Will post the amps list that Eric recommends with the eNZO's once I get the list.
Out with the company team, eh? Where have I heard such fictitious meetings with non existent teams before?

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Well the thing is Tekton never charged any customers before they were shipped out so I dont think anyone has a case..

As far as the bottom comment, I think he has a few employees now.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Allegedly, there's a guy on AVS, who paid in full for his speakers in February and is still waiting. As far as team goes, why not see if he'll send a picture of this facility with all the busy employees.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Tekton Enzo - The most inexpensive speakers that is in the league with high-end

Yeah it really does seem like cables and amps and speaker acceosries do make a difference. Add those up little by little here and there and overall you get a better sound for less money. Its good and refreshing to know that more cost dosent necessarilly mean better.
For the record, although I don't think cables make any difference, I do use Kimber Kable 8PR, which are like $130 per 8ft pair (stripped, prepared, ready to use bare wire).

Gene also uses Kimber Kable 8PR. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Allegedly, there's a guy on AVS, who paid in full for his speakers in February and is still waiting. As far as team goes, why not see if he'll send a picture of this facility with all the busy employees.
Why am I not surprised by all this?

These products seem to me to be as close to white van in a fancy package as makes no difference.

I have been doing this a long time, and I know you can not source cheap paper cone drivers with crude corrugated surrounds and then crossover to multiple drivers and have a speaker worth owning.

I bet people who have any sophistication who get snookered into buying those return them pronto.

I would bet they are busy shuffling returned speakers, probably so many he had to hire some employees to save his back.

The same laws of physics work for him and me.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I think you might be a bit off there, TLS. Eric Alexander, the stated owner of Tekton Designs, does not appear to me to fall into the White Van type regardless of what I may think of his engineering pedigree. To my way of thinking or personal analysis if you will, he strikes me as under capitalized and possesses poor business skills.

There appears to be two ways of ordering his speakers: one is to phone him with the order where it seems that one does not need to place a deposit or even pay upfront while the other way is to place the order through the website in which case some sort of payment is required.

A build time is then given to the prospective purchaser, which almost always results in massive delays along with massive excuses and promises of just another week or so which typically are not met. Some finally do get their speakers and some cancel. I haven't heard of anyone returning their sealers but with the person having to pay a 15% restocking fee and S/H charges, selling them on eBay or locally is a less expensive option. He can be difficult to geta hold of and does a poor job of keeping customers updated.

Tekton seems to have forged an especially close relationship with one reviewer, Andrew Robinson, who has named the Tekton Pendragon one of his personal top 20 speakers of all time. Whether this is genuine or motivated by Tekton being an advertiser on his site as well as Tekton having also given a pair to AR gratis for some film project he's allegedly involved in, I leave it to the court of public opinion to decide. Nevertheless, AR has repeatedly come to Tekton's defense and on two quite different dates has stated how Eric Alexander has hired several people and is moving operations to a new and larger facility with build times soon to be 1-2 weeks. The former cannot be confirmed in any way while the latter is in no way being realized.

Indeed, buy them if one is so inclined and also realize that you need to get things in writing so that you can protect yourself up under Utah's Consumer Protection laws.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
As I said not in the category, but walking close to the line.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
I think you might be a bit off there, TLS. Eric Alexander, the stated owner of Tekton Designs, does not appear to me to fall into the White Van type regardless of what I may think of his engineering pedigree. To my way of thinking or personal analysis if you will, he strikes me as under capitalized and possesses poor business skills.

There appears to be two ways of ordering his speakers: one is to phone him with the order where it seems that one does not need to place a deposit or even pay upfront while the other way is to place the order through the website in which case some sort of payment is required.

A build time is then given to the prospective purchaser, which almost always results in massive delays along with massive excuses and promises of just another week or so which typically are not met. Some finally do get their speakers and some cancel. I haven't heard of anyone returning their sealers but with the person having to pay a 15% restocking fee and S/H charges, selling them on eBay or locally is a less expensive option. He can be difficult to geta hold of and does a poor job of keeping customers updated.

Tekton seems to have forged an especially close relationship with one reviewer, Andrew Robinson, who has named the Tekton Pendragon one of his personal top 20 speakers of all time. Whether this is genuine or motivated by Tekton being an advertiser on his site as well as Tekton having also given a pair to AR gratis for some film project he's allegedly involved in, I leave it to the court of public opinion to decide. Nevertheless, AR has repeatedly come to Tekton's defense and on two quite different dates has stated how Eric Alexander has hired several people and is moving operations to a new and larger facility with build times soon to be 1-2 weeks. The former cannot be confirmed in any way while the latter is in no way being realized.

Indeed, buy them if one is so inclined and also realize that you need to get things in writing so that you can protect yourself up under Utah's Consumer Protection laws.

Although Andrew Robinson praised the Pendragons as the best speakers ever, if you go through the pro-reviewers reviews of the M-Lores (which were designed BEFORE the Pendragons and sent for review) it seems like the ones that did the review of the M-Lores (CNET,HomeTheatre,Stereophille,StereoMojo) they all have consistent negetive and positive feedback of the M-Lores which can add up to be very credible. Most of the issues with the M-Lores agreed by all 4 pro reviewers is the bass issue for the most part. In the end, all 4 of them agreed on their own that its the best speaker for its price (or 2)...

And all 4 of them reciewved their M-Lores seperately and are different companies yet have about the same negative and positive feedback of the M-Lores..

I dont think there is any consipiracy going on with the reviews of Tekton speakers.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think just like many others before he bit off more than he could chew.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Although Andrew Robinson praised the Pendragons as the best speakers ever, if you go through the pro-reviewers reviews of the M-Lores (which were designed BEFORE the Pendragons and sent for review) it seems like the ones that did the review of the M-Lores (CNET,HomeTheatre,Stereophille,StereoMojo) they all have consistent negetive and positive feedback of the M-Lores which can add up to be very credible. Most of the issues with the M-Lores agreed by all 4 pro reviewers is the bass issue for the most part. In the end, all 4 of them agreed on their own that its the best speaker for its price (or 2)...

And all 4 of them reciewved their M-Lores seperately and are different companies yet have about the same negative and positive feedback of the M-Lores..

I dont think there is any consipiracy going on with the reviews of Tekton speakers.
As I stated on a different website, Steve Guttenberg has never met a speaker he doesn't like. He's one of those folks whose objective is to churn the waters and mail in the review which he can then sell to whomever. But let's grant the premise that the M-Lore represents good value for the money. The business entity, Tekton, still falls woefully short on the business and customer service end. Imagine if it was called Tekton Steakhouse and the reviews all said those were some of the best porterhouse and rib steaks ever. Now imagine you decide to eat there and find the waiter and owner surly and inattentive and if, when you finally got your meal you still had to wait for the salad and you had to come back for the potatoes. Unhappy, you'd walk out but before doing so you'd have to pony up 15%. Maybe it was a killer steak but there's far more to a purchase. Robert irvine would freak were he to deal with this.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
For the record, I don't either.

But I also don't think any given person's review, whether paid or not, is the end-all be-all and that's what I've been trying to tell you. You're putting too much value in these so-called professional reviews, and perhaps the tekton speakers are pleasant / inoffensive but hi fidelity they can not be.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
He tells you what the wait time is, what is the problem? I don't know what it is about Tekton that gets so many peoples panties in a bunch.... Its a decent speaker, efficient and good sounding for short money {in my experience with the lores anyway}...

If you only have the money for one speaker and it has to be HT capable is it for you? Probably not, if you are looking for a speaker that sounds good with no sub, is a little different than what you see in the big box stores and you like something a little custom and sexy- check them out...

Its that simple, I am tough to please and have no problem sending a speaker back even if it costs me $150 {which it wouldn't because we use credit cards, and a 10 minute call will get you a refund and Eric would be sending a pre paid shipping label if he wanted his speakers back, just get a Discover card, I have been through this, they will cost you $0 to try out}, and if they sounded like trash or even just a little less than I expected, they would have gone back, but the truth of the matter is there is something to them, a good look, a good sound and a lot of it with very little power...

I am lucky enough to have the money to afford a little tube system for my bedroom, $1200 for the amp, $1000 for the speakers and another couple hundred for the dac and wires just to sit in the corner and use on a sunday morning while I take a shower or a saturday night when me and my wife just want something on besides the TV to listen to before we go to sleep, the lores fit this bill and they make me smile everytime I play them, they are actually on rite now, Bruce live 1975-85 is on and it sounds great, I honestly don't think another speaker out there can do what they do for double the price, my 40w amp is turned about 30% of the way and I don't think I would be able to hear my phone ring in my pocket rite now...

ONE MORE THING- White van????? are you serious, I hope that was a joke, come to my house and see the quality of the cabinet and listen to them, white van refers to imported junk labelled "7000 WATTS!!! OAK CABINETS", this guy hand builds every speaker that leaves there, coats them in automotive finish or locally sourced veneers, screws everything together perfectly and boxes them up... they are made with pride and it shows... If comparing them to "white van" products makes you feel better about your system then thats great but its not accurate, and I don't think it is very nice either, someone that is building a business and getting hammered by one website at every turn is kind of silly, like I said before I don't get it...

Someone used the restaurant anaolgy earlier so I will add to it, you read a review about a restaurant and it says the food is great, you try it out, and indeed the food is better than you expected, the chef makes everything himself and even takes the order himself {so you do have to wait a little longer for your food, but with that kind of service I don't mind}, then you go to a friends house and eveeryone bashes this place everytime it is brought up, BUT THE PROBLEM IS THEY HAVE NEVER EATEN THERE!!!!! This poor guy is over there seating the patrons, taking the orders working his D!ck off and these amateur monkey critics are bashing him at every turn, just by looking in the window and seeing the plates.... You don't understand, someone comes here and reads the stuff you guys post and then don't bother buying them, and thats not fair because there are no disapointed customers out there saying they don't sound good...

I spent my money on these speakers and I am happy, I think that unless you spent your money on them and came up with your own conclusion you should practice some control and just leave it alone, I own a lot of equipment and the Lores are good, its not that hard to understand, I am a Tekton owner and a member here too, Im sure a lot of guys would have something to say if I started bashing Phil speakers with out ever hearing them....

Last edited:
V

VicTorious1

Audioholic Intern

The CNET review was by Steve Guttenberg, who, as others have said, has rarely met a speaker he doesn't like. His review, however, does not appear to be subject to any sort of financial bias or conflict of interest. I used to be somewhat interested in his reviews until I read his review of audio cables.

I don't believe HomeTheater.com reviewed the M-Lores. On the other hand, Hometheaterreview.com did, but that website is owned and operated by Andrew Robinsions, so you can remove that from your list. If you have a link to the HomeTheater.com review of the M-Lores, could you please link it?

I did not see a Stereophile review of the M-Lores. Could you please link it?

The StereoMojo review also does not appear to fall victim to any financial bias or conflict of interest. The also review "high end" speaker cables, so I read their reviews with some skepticism. But that's just me. I'm not a believer in the high end cable market.

For what it's worth, I also enjoy listening to my M Lores. I don't think they are any better than some of the other speakers that I have (Philharmonic, KEF or EMPTek) even for the price, but they were relatively inexpensive and have a sound I enjoy, especially in my home office setup with a tube amp and Maverick TubeMagic D2 DAC.

Last edited:
S

SearchofSub

Banned
I agree with ImcLoud, this guy is working his a$s off.. As I stated earlier, he called me back at 9:00 P.M yesterady and that tells me he DOES care about customer service.

Today I called to order, and I made arrangements about a week before to order the eNZO's with Daniel (production manager there), told him that e that I spoke to Eric directly yesterady and he suggested that I go with custom M-lores and custom sub 4.1 system instead... And to my surprise, he knew exactly about my prior order (Daniel) and mentioned about the eNZO's when I didnt even bring it up..

Its pretty clear they are working their as$es off there, there are so many orders and Eric builds his tektons by hand one by one so they lose track at times...

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I really think it's time to stop feeding the trolls. SearchOfsub has made it pretty clear that all he wants to do is read whatever bad thing anyone has to say and overreact without any real thought. The above post displays it pretty well. He's arguing against a minority opinion while ignoring everyone who already disagreed with it.

C

chaluga

Junior Audioholic
For the record, I don't either.

But I also don't think any given person's review, whether paid or not, is the end-all be-all and that's what I've been trying to tell you. You're putting too much value in these so-called professional reviews, and perhaps the tekton speakers are pleasant / inoffensive but hi fidelity they can not be.
Grantees ,
I notice you have crown xls 2000 amp ? What made you buy that one ? That model got a huge influx of sales from Andrew Robinson reviews. You also have speakers that are hard to buy without not hearing them first. Did you hear them at a show ? They are great speakers , at least that's what I hear from their owners

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with ImcLoud, this guy is working his a$s off.. As I stated earlier, he called me back at 9:00 P.M yesterady and that tells me he DOES care about customer service.

Today I called to order, and I made arrangements about a week before to order the eNZO's with Daniel (production manager there), told him that e that I spoke to Eric directly yesterady and he suggested that I go with custom M-lores and custom sub 4.1 system instead... And to my surprise, he knew exactly about my prior order (Daniel) and mentioned about the eNZO's when I didnt even bring it up..

Its pretty clear they are working their as$es off there, there are so many orders and Eric builds his tektons by hand one by one so they lose track at times...
I think you will be happy with the mLores, did you get a delivery date? Did you order a custom sub from them? keep us posted on how this turns out and what you think, also pics would be great when it all comes... I think the main problem with some on here, is that they find it hard to trust people... You talk to Eric on the phone, you feel his passion about the products, he doesn't try to sell you the most expensive speakers he has, he sells you what he thinks you will like after answering a few of his questions... I called looking for something efficient, not caring what I spent{although I wanted to spend as little as possible}, he could have sold me something 3 times the cost since in the high efficiency market their isn't much that isn't expensive {I am not a klipsch fan and don't like horns much}... But after explaining it to him he said the lores sounded like what I would like, and if I didn't I could send them back... Thats all I needed to hear, he talked to me on the phone at 10pm for an hour for a measly $900 sale!!! I hate to say it but I can not remember the last time I spoke to a customer for an hour for a sale under $12K... I just sold a $68K geothermal system to a customer today and after 35 minutes at their kitchen table I was ready to stop talking about it, and the profit on a job like that is more than most middle class families net annually, this guy has the attention and care to spend an hour on the phone for what? $300 in profit if hes lucky.... To me that is worth taking the chance on a speaker I never heard....

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Grantees ,
I notice you have crown xls 2000 amp ? What made you buy that one ? That model got a huge influx of sales from Andrew Robinson reviews. You also have speakers that are hard to buy without not hearing them first. Did you hear them at a show ? They are great speakers , at least that's what I hear from their owners
Obviously I'm not GranteedEV, but I have an XLS 2500 and Philharmonic 3's (Grant has the 2's). The XLS 2500 is a great amp and I would have no problem using it for speakers, in fact I did for quite a while with my desk speakers. I couldn't hear any differences between it and much more "audiophile" amps, although I've got a couple of those as well. I would highly recommend the XLS series of amplifiers for any type of use.

As to the Philharmonics, which I'm assuming you're talking about, I bought them sight unseen (unheard). Based on reviews, all the measurements, talking to Dennis (the owner and designer), and consulting with a lot of member on this forum who know a thing or two about speakers themselves I decided they were the right move. I've been extremely happy with them and don't regret the purchase whatsoever.

C

chaluga

Junior Audioholic
What made you buy the crown amp ? My point is that Andrew Robinson gets painted as a shill by a coupe.of people . He is the only pro reviewer I know who recommends the xls series by crown. He also highly rates oppo , monoprice cables , dune media player , tekton , parasound . All of these companies have many great pro reviews . He also doesn't recommend high price cables . I have bought four products he recommended and all have been good. There are over a 100 people on various forums who have a similar experience with one of the recommended ar products.

When I went to my local hifi stores I listened to polk rti a series , b&w cdm series , monitor audio silver series , kef q series , klipsch rt series , and some tannoy and jbl. I looked at reviews and all got good measurements online . I took my time , took notes , and played the same dozen songs and three movie clips. Made sure all were played at 95db which is my listening level on average.
What I found were all were distinctly different. The polks were the worst of the bunch to me. None of the others jumped out at me , but all were good. After asking andrew several questions along with eric I decided to give the tektons a chance. I like them better because guitars really roar , gunshots in movies make me jump more , and vocals sound the way I like. Are they better then kef's .... no .... but they suit my taste. They also play way louder due to sensativity. With my before speakers (b&w at 89 db) tyese play 9db louder at the same power from my receiver. All the settings were the same on the receiver and I played many songs at 95db(using spl meter) and the receiver volume level was usually 8-9 db lower with the tektons.

For me measurements don't translate into ranking one speaker better then another. My test songs have strong areas in a wide range of hz. I am very familiar with those songs . As for off axis stuff I am the only person who listens to my system critically. My kids are on the side couch and its fine for them. These are my preferences , not to be forced on anyone else.

Last edited:
S

SearchofSub

Banned
I really think it's time to stop feeding the trolls. SearchOfsub has made it pretty clear that all he wants to do is read whatever bad thing anyone has to say and overreact without any real thought. The above post displays it pretty well. He's arguing against a minority opinion while ignoring everyone who already disagreed with it.

Huh?? I considered the negative factors of ordering from Eric and Tekton. The delays and etc... So far, from my experience in dealing with them, I am satisfied with their customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis