Oddly shaped living room -- need suggestions

K

kortex

Audioholic Intern
My wife and I are buying a house and the only drawback is the living room. Those that are married will know that home theater sometimes has to come last. The pictures are below and this is the "system" that the current occupants use. I hope they post OK. Anyway, in our apartment, I have a large flat wall. I have a large entertainment center with a paradigm studio 40 V.2s on either side and a the matching center channel...in the center. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to switch speaker systems and go to something smaller. Let me know where you would put speakers (fronts, rears, center) and what you would use! You can see in the pictures where the guy has his and I don't really like the placement. Thanks!

1 edit.jpg2 edit.jpg

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Honestly, don't buy that house. If it's too late for that use another room. If that's not possible welcome to the KEF Eggs because that's all that really works with it setup that way.

Could you possible use the wall behind the couch for the TV and wall mount it? Then you could have your electronics and sub in the other corner. You'd have solid placement for your fronts and your surrounds too.

K

kortex

Audioholic Intern
Honestly, don't buy that house. If it's too late for that use another room. If that's not possible welcome to the KEF Eggs because that's all that really works with it setup that way.

Could you possible use the wall behind the couch for the TV and wall mount it? Then you could have your electronics and sub in the other corner. You'd have solid placement for your fronts and your surrounds too.
Yeah, we're pretty far in. I know it sucks but there have to be some options. I'm definitely not pleased about it. I assume there's no way I can use the large fronts.......

J

JWL

Audiophyte
That's definitely a tough room. What's on the wall to the photographer's back in the 2nd photo?

Based on what I see in the photos, the only options are where the existing occupants have the TV, or since you have tall ceilings mounted high up on the wall above the doorway. Perhaps there is another room you can use as a home theater?

In general you should get as close as you can to this: RealTraps - How To Set Up a Room

K

kortex

Audioholic Intern
Sadly, there is nowhere else in that house to use as a home theater. To my back in the second photo is open space, two small walls and the front door. The next time I'm in the house, I'll take a picture. I love my home theater and I think I might just not be able to have one there.

G

GIK Acoustics

Audioholic Intern
Looks like you've got room for a television area, but not really for a "theater" as we know it! Have you been able to snap any other pics of the room?

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
That looks like a room custom made for one of the better 2.1 sound bar systems to me. Feels like you'd just be trying to shoehorn anything else in a place where it won't really fit.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Put the t.v. on above the entrance way and get some on walls OR get a pull down screen and mount a projector. WORD!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis