Denon AVR-X3000; AVR-X4000 IN-Command Receivers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Denon just released all new A/V receivers. The IN-Command AVR-X3000 and AVR-X4000 are all packed with the latest in HDMI, Networking and HD Surround technologies.

Imagine sending audio and video to more than one zone and being fully networking, including AirPlay and many other streaming options.

These new Denon receivers look tough to beat from a feature/performance and price standpoint.

Read more about the Denon AVR-X3000 and AVR-X4000 Receivers

Let us know what you think. Are you buying one?

Last edited by a moderator:
surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The Denon AVR-X4000 looks like the one to have! It looks like a hell of a value to me!

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
My setup is pretty simple: HTPC to AVR to Speakers/display. I don't need anything else.

I'd really like an AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, but have no use for network functionality, airplay, or any other smart features; my HTPC does all these better. Zone 2/3 isn't needed because we purposefully limit ourselves to one viewing room and with the open floor plan, if we need music in the dining room, we just turn it up a bit.

Depending on the street price, the 4000 may be one of the least expensive ways to get into XT32, the Onkyo TX-NR818 not withstanding. Does anyone have an opinion on why the Denon would still be the smarter choice?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wow. Looks great all around for $1300 MSRP (we know a lot less $$ later).

So why would anyone buy a 4311 or 4520 instead of the X4000, especially if they are using ext amp? :D

pg_rider

pg_rider

Audioholic
Depending on the street price, the 4000 may be one of the least expensive ways to get into XT32, the Onkyo TX-NR818 not withstanding. Does anyone have an opinion on why the Denon would still be the smarter choice?
The Denon has SubEQ built in, meaning it can setup / calibrate two subs independently. The Onkyo doesn't do that, making the Denon absolutely superior if you run two subs.

Sugarbear

Sugarbear

Junior Audioholic
That X4000 is a beast of a receiver at its price point.

I'm very much looking forward to the full review!

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

The Denon has SubEQ built in, meaning it can setup / calibrate two subs independently. The Onkyo doesn't do that, making the Denon absolutely superior if you run two subs.
A ha, good catch. I don't have dual subs yet, but that's 3rd on the current priority upgrade list. I'd probably be wise to look for SUb EQ HT, and the Denon AVR-X4000 seems to be the least expensive option currently on the horizon.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
My setup is pretty simple: HTPC to AVR to Speakers/display. I don't need anything else.

I'd really like an AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT32, but have no use for network functionality, airplay, or any other smart features; my HTPC does all these better. Zone 2/3 isn't needed because we purposefully limit ourselves to one viewing room and with the open floor plan, if we need music in the dining room, we just turn it up a bit.

Some percieve that Onkyo has had more reliability issues than Denon in the past couple of years?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Some percieve that Onkyo has had more reliability issues than Denon in the past couple of years?
Yeah, I've heard that too, but my 706 (admittedly a few years old) has been rock solid surviving many moves and some warm, cramped cabinets.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow. Looks great all around for $1300 MSRP (we know a lot less $$ later).

So why would anyone buy a 4311 or 4520 instead of the X4000, especially if they are using ext amp? :D
32bit/192 kHz Burr Brown DAC, preamp mode, 4 ohm rated amps (you are going to say that is of no use as a preamp) etc.. Nothing materially different/superior, but it comes with bragging right.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
32bit/192 kHz Burr Brown DAC, preamp mode, 4 ohm rated amps (you are going to say that is of no use as a preamp) etc.. Nothing materially different/superior, but it comes with bragging right.
I knew you were going to say that. :D

There is a reason I got the 5308 & AVP-A1. ;)

But for 2nd (and 3rd) systems, X4000 would be Perfectly peachy. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, $1000 MSRP for the X3000...and no preouts. Surprisingly disappointing. I agree that the X4000 looks enticing, though.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, $1000 MSRP for the X3000...and no preouts. Surprisingly disappointing. I agree that the X4000 looks enticing, though.
Enticing in that it has most of the updated features+XT32 for the price of the 3312/3 (list price when those first appeared) and is now competitive with the Onkyo 81X ones or even the 10XX ones, except in weight. For those fixated on weights due to perceived benefits from the old schools and hearsays, they will likely stay clear of anything lighter than 30 lbs at >$1000 prices range. I go mostly with crediable/verifiable real world specs/performance data so I actually prefer light way as long as it does it job.

I see that these things are still rated 670W for power consumption, says so right on the back plane so it is not the same as HK, Anthem and Yamaha's higher "maximum" figures that they can only provide in the manuals as additional data. 670W seems reasonable relative to the much heavier (720W at 40 lbs) Onkyo 818, better than the Yamaha RX-A1020's 400W/490W(CA/US at 33 lbs) and almost the same as Marantz SR7007's 700W. If I remember right that 670W is about the same as the 3312/3 and that is good because ADTG uses it to drives his 4 ohms Phil 2 with not issue. Apparently the back plane stated power consumption figures have to follow some international or regional rules and regulations so while they are still tricky to compare, they do serve as a useful guideline for predicting their real world output if compared models sell in the same countries, at least for class A/B amps and people who know how to do the math.

So yes, following ADTG's logic, when the price comes down I may want one for a second system and won't have to worry about interconnects everywhere and potential hums due to the infinite ways of getting ground loops matchinig separate components that some people reportedly could not resolve.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Not just that. The x4000 doesn't have the ability to run a full 11.1 system (for those that want to) other than that, what you said.

Sugarbear

Sugarbear

Junior Audioholic
Also, for the few where this is an issue, the X4000 offers XT32 at a better chassis size than the 818: less than 15" deep.

I looked at those 8XX Onkyo but they are simply too big for my space.

S

sharok

Audiophyte
Also, 4520 is the only AVR up to now that offers AL32.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not just that. The x4000 doesn't have the ability to run a full 11.1 system (for those that want to) other than that, what you said.
Great point, for those who intend to run 11.1 or 11.2, even per ADTG's stated criteria of using the preamp mode only, the 4000 cannot do it. Plus the option to use the AVR to power the 8 surround channel is a bonus. 4520+something like a XPA-3 or XPA-5 is a relatively affordable way to enjoy 11.2.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
4520+something like a XPA-3 or XPA-5 is a relatively affordable way to enjoy 11.2.
That was my eventual plan, even when I purchased my 809. 4520 would make me very happy for a long time I'd think. I kept my room wired for 7.2 and no higher just because I'd hate to wire for a specific speaker config limited to two decoding methods (DTS NeoX and DSX) and hate it or just feel kind of indifferent. That would be a waste of wire and speakers. I'm happy with 7.2, but would like to see what the whole 11.2 is all about. Any one around here heard or have owned a system like that?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis