Next XBOX controls your TV/cable box with Kinect

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Kind of interesting.

The functionality will work by taking a cable box signal and passing it through to the Xbox via HDMI, allowing Microsoft's console to overlay a UI and features on top of an existing TV channel or set-top box. We're told that this is a key part of the next-generation Xbox and that it will go a step further than Google's TV implementation thanks to Microsoft's partnerships with content providers.
Report: The Next Xbox Controls Your TV and Cable Box—with Kinect

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Interesting, but overall sounds like a bad idea to me. I'm not convinced that waving at my TV to perform actions is the best way to go about things. I also worry about reliability, given that the 360 had...issues... and microsoft is going with an x86 chip that is likely to be higher power (and therefore higher heat), the idea of my xbox being on the entire time I'm watching Tv does not sound appealing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agree, but says you will most likely be able to use the standard controllers too. Yes, the biggest thing they said there is the whole "always on" aspect due to the RROD/heat issues some models experienced - that seems like a huge downside. No doubt they will have to make sure these units can handle being on constantly. Roku is also "always on" and I don't like that, so I unplug it when not in use. There's no way I'd want a console on constantly, despite the fact that I typically stream via my PS3, but when I am done watching, it is off too.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I don't like the idea at all. Why take something that works, the remote control, and make it run through a game console so you can sit there waving your arms at the camera until you get frustrated enough to go and pick up the remote.

I use Kinect for my kids and wife, and then unplug it from my console. More distraction than what it is worth.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I find it funny that the two guys anti-gestures have turntables. Just saying.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I have a couple of VDI servers that I use to host Ubuntu MediaTomb Server, and an Itunes/Picasa server that I stream to
devices in the house. But I haven't added it to my equipment list.

I work in IT and I see people all the time trying to reinvent something that isn't broke,
just to make a buck and sell something, along with support. I'd just about guarantee
that if you go to the homes of the Kinect engineers, they'll have a remote control
for controlling cable.

I can just imagine trying to use Kinect to activate OnDemand or start my DVR. You
know you'd throw the thing in the garbage.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis