skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Loopers - The latest movie on a Phillip K D*ck theme? For the past 30 years or so, a lot of sci-fi movies have been living in the Phil D*ck universe...Blade Runner, Scanner Darkly, Screamers, Imposter, Total Recall, Minority Report, The Adjustment Bureau are directly lifted from his stories and many other inhabit his universe of dysfunctional future technology, authoritarian governments, warped time, distorted and virtual reality and noir-like characters.

This latest one, Loopers, doesn't acknowlege any connection to Phillip. In Loopers gangsters send intended victims back in time to be killed. When a hit man is to be "retired", he is sent back to be killed by himself at an earlier age (the "Looper"). In this case the character played by Bruce Willis (Old Joe) is sent back to be killed by young Joe (Joseph Gordon Levitt) and endangers a kid who proves to be very important in the future. As the body count rises (it's a very violent movie) there are a lot of twists in the various time travel conundrums. One might notice the similarity to The Skull, a PD story where a hit man travels back in time to kill a man who might change the world; the intended victim turns out to be the hit man himself. The Loopers is a much more complex story than The Skull (which is a simple short story), but as soon as I saw the trailer, I could not help but think of the 1953 Phil D*ck story.

I thought the movie was excellent, although the female viewers found it to be too bloody. It's definitly a sci-fi movie that bears a lot of thought and possibly a second viewing. It's not a simple story. The future looks pretty grim (dominated by gangster-governments, ruin and desperate poverty), but there is implied hope at the end, although it's subtle and you will not actually see it. Gordon-Levitt is excellent as young Joe, as is Willis as old Joe. Emily Blunt is quite good as a fearsome mom, trying to defend her rural, climate-altered Kansas home (Kansas has cane fields) and her "special" son in a very scary, violent world, finding herself as the undeserving target of gang operation from the future.

If you like this sort of sci-fi, have liked other PD inspired stories, this one should not be missed.

Last edited:
avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
The movie started off a bit slow but once the story got moving along it does pull you in. Definitely leans towards the weird side on the movie scale but an enjoyable rent none the less if you're looking for something different.

Steve

roleydre

roleydre

Audioholic
i could not get into this movie at all ...in fact i turned it off(which is rare for me)..to be frank ,i found it boring ...i thought with them going back in time that it would be pretty good...but not for me...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
i could not get into this movie at all ...in fact i turned it off(which is rare for me)..to be frank ,i found it boring ...i thought with them going back in time that it would be pretty good...but not for me...
Yes, it's starts slowly.. I will also have to point that attempts at make Levitt looks like young Willis are hilarious at best... But overall not bad Sci-Fi flick, especially in general lack of really good ones, this is on actually not bad at all.

ps: btw Movie names is Looper, not Loopers

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I enjoyed it. Levitt looks so weird though lol

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I thought it was pretty good. Best of all was the ending took me completely by surprise - which I liked. Too many movies are predictable.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I thought it was going to be better based on the reviews but it was kinda boring. The ending was cool though.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Good concept, interesting overall, but I felt it didn't quite make it to where it could have been. Quite a few things that I would call "errors" in the way their "loops" worked.
It did not apply to some things but did to others or only when they needed it to for the story?
Decent flick, but more hype than it delivered.

Daniel Fletcher

Daniel Fletcher

Audiophyte
The kid was definitively a good actor regardless, a great combination of creepy and cute.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis