Good HT 5.1 system for $600?

A

audionoobie8954

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I am looking for a good 5.1 Home theatre system. Primary use will be mostly Satellite HD DVR, some blu-ray movies and some music from iphone.. My budget is about $600. This should cover the AV receiver and 5.1 speaker set.

Some basic research has yielded the following options:

1) Onkyo HT-S9400THX 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package (Bookshelf)
Onkyo HT-S8409/7500 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package (Tower)
2) Yamaha YHT-897 5.1-Channel Network Home Theater System (Tower)

Since this will be my first HT and I am a newbie, please recommend which of the above or something similar would be best for me? The Onkyo with thx and the yamaha with airplay both seem attractive. I am probably ok with pairing different AVR and speakers if there is significant difference. I am looking to buy in Feb '13 so prices are likely to hopefully reduce by then.

I plan to also buy a 40" LCD-LED TV (no 3D) to complete my HT system. (budget is $500)
Thanks again

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Hi all,

I am looking for a good 5.1 Home theatre system. Primary use will be mostly Satellite HD DVR, some blu-ray movies and some music from iphone.. My budget is about $600. This should cover the AV receiver and 5.1 speaker set.
Can you up your budget by $100?

A

audionoobie8954

Audiophyte
I might be able to stretch to $700 - which HTIB system or combination are you thinking?
Thanks

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
FS-52 X 2 = $258

BS-22 X 1 = $129

SP-C22 X 1 = $99

Receiver X 1 = $127

Total = $614

OR

Receiver X 1 = $190

Total = $677

This is definitely the way to go. Better than any HTIB and they rival speakers costing many times their price. This is the ultimate budget system, IMO.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
There might be some sales on the Pioneer speakers right now, making the value even higher.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Keep the front and center from the list above, but you can use the BS-21 for surrounds instead of the BS-22. This saves you $80.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Onkyo HTIB packages can be really good bang for the buck because almost uniquely they include good receivers in their packages but their speakers, like all HTIB speakers, leave a lot to be desired. Speakers are the heart and soul of any system.

The Pioneer/Denon system looks like a better choice (especially with the AVR-1612 option) but I would plan to save up for a decent subwoofer when money allows. Unfortunately decent subs aren't cheap but you can probably get by without one for now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis