Connecting a 5.1 Channel Receiver with PreOut to Speaker Wire only Subwoofer.

R

rgn21

Audiophyte
I have an ONKYO TX-NR414 Reciever that I bought and was given an old set of speakers from a home theater in a box kit. They are KLH...

I am sure this question has been asked way to many times already and I have read about it some on Google, but I am trying to see if I can just get a small amp to make this work. Right now I can't get a new sub so I want to see if I can make this one work with what I have.

The sub has places to connect 4 speaker wires. The top set of 2 (L & R) say To Speaker. The bottom set of 2 (L & R) say From Amplifier. The receiver has a PreOut Subwoofer connection and a LineOut Zone 2 connection.

Since I don't think there is a way to wire these together directly. Is it possible to buy something like the Pyle-PCA2-80-Watt-Stereo-Amplifier that I found on Amazon (sorry I can't link since I have zero posts). I was given the speaker set, so I know nothing about watts or ohms for them. Just trying to find something simple to make the sub work with what I have...

Thanks for the help...

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
All you need to do is run the L&R speaker wires out of the Onkyo to the Sub and then a pair of speaker wires out of the Sub to the L&R speakers. No need for anything else.

R

rgn21

Audiophyte
What L&R Speaker wirse from the Onkyo? It has a preout...
The receiver has all the other connections for my speakers, why do I need to go from the sub to speakers?

Sorry, I just don't understand...

R

rgn21

Audiophyte
On the Onkyo I have Center, Front, Surround connections on the back. So you are saying that I need to run speaker wire from the Front (L&R) to the "From Amplifier" on the sub, then run from the sub 'To Speaker" to my Front Speakers...?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
read carefully

First off, understand this:

You cannot connect a preamp out signal directly to a speaker only sub-woofer. You need a power amplifier in between them.

You can buy that Pyle, connect it to your sub out, and your sub to the Pyle. Get a"Y" connector, connect one side to the preamp out, the two other ends to the Pyle' inputs, and connect the sub to the Pyle's speaker outputs.

Personally, I think that's good money after bad. For that price you can buy a small powered sub that's better than that KLH sub but, hey, what do we know.

If you do that, we're done pretty much here.

Got that? Good. Now, let's move on.

What L&R Speaker wire from the Onkyo?
It's a receiver, isn't it? It has speaker outputs. You'll HAVE to use them for this sub-woofer.

It has a preout...
So? You can't use it with this sub-woofer.

The receiver has all the other connections for my speakers, why do I need to go from the sub to speakers?
Because you can't use that sub-woofer with the preamp out. If you want to use that sub-woofer, you HAVE to use the speaker outputs of the receiver to the speaker inputs of the sub-woofer. What part of that don't you understand?

Sorry, I just don't understand...
If the above doesn't explain, it's hopeless.

Now,assuming you've acquiesced to the simple facts laid out above, connect the FRONT LEFT and RIGHT SPEAKER OUTPUTS to the sub-woofer inputs (From Amplifier).

Now connect your front left and right speakers to your sub-woofer speaker outputs (To Speakers).

Next, on your receiver, set your sub-woofer to "off" and your main speakers to "large". This will send all the LFE information to your main speakers and the sub-woofer will get it's input from them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis