Contest: Be the First to Audition the New SVS SB13-Ultra Series Sealed Box Subwoofer!

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Be the First to audition the New SVS SB13-Ultra Series Sealed Box Subwoofer! Audition It and You Could Win It! This fall, SVS will release its newest addition to its Sealed Box Subwoofer Line and Audioholics members have the chance to be the first people in the world to audition it. Plus, the member with the most comprehensive perspective on the new sub [as voted by the community] will win the first production unit to keep! Sign up and tell us why you should be selected as one of the three Auditioners. If selected by the Audioholics staff, SVS will ship you their new subwoofer to spend two weeks testing and auditioning it and writing up a detailed report of your findings.

Discuss "Contest: Be the First to Audition the New SVS SB13-Ultra Series Sealed Box Subwoofer!" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Specifications

• This is an unreleased product… What we can tell you is that it sits at the top of SVS's Sealed Box subwoofer line and will be called the SB13-Ultra.
  • The members auditioning it and chronicling their experiences will be receiving it at the same time as our professional reviewers and before it’s even unveiled to the public!
  • That means we can't even show you a photo yet, those won't be taken until just a few days before these samples ship out.
Program & Contest Eligibility Requirements

• You must be a registered Audioholics forum member
  • You must reside in the Continental US or Canada (excluding Quebec)
  • You must respond (thoroughly) to all of the questions in the thread below
  • Please see our standard contest rules for more details
The Rating Process

• SVS will simultaneously ship all three members an SB13 Ultra subwoofer to audition and test
  • Members will have 2 weeks to listen, test and write their audition perspective
  • Members will submit their perspective to Audioholics via email (info@audioholics.com) who will anonymously post them all at the same time.
  • The entire forum will then be asked to vote for the audition perspective they think is most comprehensive no matter what the perspective
  • The written audition with the most votes wins the first production model signed by the entire SVS team!
Note: SVS will arrange for and handle all shipping to and from selected members.

Pre-Entry Contest Questions

Please answer the below questions by replying to the official contest thread. The Audioholics staff will use these answers along with your forum history to determine the three entrants. SVS will not participate in the selection process. Note, we'll be selecting based on multiple criteria, so there is no reason to exaggerate rooms size or the level of your system - you may inadvertently disqualify yourself in the process!
  • Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
  • Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
  • How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
  • What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V, and in particular, subwoofers?
  • Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
  • Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
  • Bonus (NOT required): Do you have the ability to take basic acoustic measurements (such as using the popular Room EQ Wizard software)?
Your entry must be submitted by July 27th to qualify.

Good luck!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
  • TV: Panasonic 50" plasma, TX-P50G10
  • Audio Electronics: Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH, Emotiva RPA-1, Emotiva IPS-1
  • Media Players: PS3, Panasonic DMP-BD60 blu-ray player, Oppo DV-980H, MacBook, MacBook Air
  • Speakers: NHT 1.5 (one pair front, one pair rear), NHT AudioCenter-1, MartinLogan Motion 8 (rear center)
  • Subwoofer: SVS PC13-Ultra

Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
My evaluation room is my great room, which is approximately 24' deep, 16' wide, with sloped ceilings that average ~10'. When seated and facing the main sound stage, I have two hallway openings bracketing the speakers (one on the left, one on the right side), a large opening on the right side to my main entrance hallway, and a second large opening on the right side to my kitchen. I don't have any dedicated room treatments.

View facing TV (some older equipment shown in the rack):

View facing to the right:

How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
I've loved music and audio gear since I can remember, back to when I'd peruse stereo gear in the local department store when I was in grade school and daydream about the day that I could get one. With two older brothers who were also into it, I grew up around stereo gear. As for HT, I've always been into TV and movies, but the first surround sound system that I owned was my JVC TV that I bought in college that could run surround speakers. One of the more exciting things for me was the introduction of DVD (which I waited for over a year to come out after reading about it) and Dolby Digital - what a HUGE difference in the experience over VHS and Pro-Logic.

What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V, and in particular, subwoofers?
I don't have a lot of experience with expensive gear. Receiver-wise, the most that I've spent is $1000 (for one of the first Yamaha Dolby Digital receivers released, then most recently my Pioneer Elite). For subwoofers, my first one was a B&W ASW1000, and my second and current one is an SVS PC13-Ultra. The PC13-Ultra is just in another class, no question. I knew that I'd second guess myself if I went with anything less than SVS's best when I pulled the trigger in 2007, and I've never regretted it.

Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
Yes. I did do one on the forum for the MartinLogan Motion 8 speaker.

Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
That's a tough one, given the caliber of a lot of the crew here. This interests me because I've followed SVS for years, and I'll admit that I'm a huge fan. Researching their subs is what actually brought me to Audioholics and this forum in the first place. :) Unfortunately, there was a bit of a falling out right when I started doing my research here, and I'm really glad that both teams are working together again. My experience with SVS with my PC13-Ultra was nothing short of extraordinary. Getting lengthy and valuable e-mail responses on the weekends was just the start. My first sub had a dented top cover, but instead of sending me out a new cover, Tom wanted to play it safe and make sure that nothing else was damaged, so they sent me a brand new one. When the amp had an issue, another amp was sent it as soon as they could. I can't imagine that my next sub won't be an SVS, and I recommend them to everyone that I know. So, I guess that I'm going with "my passion and love of SVS gear" as a qualification :), and maybe also my potential ability to relate to a lot of the readership here in that my system isn't high-end.

Bonus (NOT required): Do you have the ability to take basic acoustic measurements (such as using the popular Room EQ Wizard software)?
I'd have to see if I have the ability to use REW. I typically run frequency steps on disc and measure with my SPL meter.

connieflyer

connieflyer

Audioholic
My home theater consists of Psb Image 4T for mains, 8C for center, 1B for surround and Psb Subsonic 6 for sub.
Reciever is Hamon=Kardon Avr 2200, Oppo 97h dvd player, Tivo series 2, Sony 5 disc changer Monster Cable power center 2 dvr recorders and Toshiba 57HX93, 2 ElectroVoice Sudio Monitor EV-5's as remote speakers.

Room size is approx. 14x24 open cathedral ceiling no acoustic treatments
Music has been my main passion in life, starting in the early seventies I started acquiring equipment and upgrading as I could afford it. With out music life would be very dull for me.
Have been following sub developents for a long time. Expertise would not be extensive, mostly reviews and going from place to place auditioning them. Got hooked on SV after going to a man's house in NOrth Carolina to hear and see his Ultra 12, my nephew ended up with the 12 inch cylinder style. Loved it. Someday before my ears fall off hope to get one for myself.
Have not done any reviews.
Only the promise to use this wisely and fairly. Plenty of music to audition equipment with.
Have Pc and Laptop to use for measurements, and lots of time and patiences.

Thank you for the chance, Don Harris

Last edited:
Epetrone

Epetrone

Audioholic Intern
Enter Contest

1.Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
- Integra 80.3 Reciever. Boston Acoutic VR3 mains. Home built rear and side channels. 2 sunfire HRS-12 subwoofers.

2.Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
- Room is 14 feet by 12 feet in size. hardwood floors with area rug. no treatments.

3.How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
- Ever since I was 8. Now 35.

4.What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V, and in particular, subwoofers?
- well above average consumer not as good as 80% of the people here.

5.Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
- No
6.Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
- I would love the chance to get started in reviewing equipment.

7.Bonus (NOT required): Do you have the ability to take basic acoustic measurements (such as using the popular Room EQ Wizard

jmilton7043

jmilton7043

Audioholic Intern
SB 13 ultra

1.Emotiva UMC-1 pre/pro, Emotiva XDA-1 DAC, Revel F12s (C12 center and S12 surrounds), Velodyne in-wall sub, Earthquake CP-8 sub, Sony BD-570s BD player, Oppo 870 universal player, Emotiva LPA-1 7-channel amp, 2 Emotiva UPA-1 200 watt monoblocks.
2. 10x10
3. 35 years...since college.
4. I review audio components and movies for an on-line magazine. I'm a senior editor.
5. No
6. I have never reviewed SVS...so I am not partial to their equipment.
7. Yes

K

klix58

Junior Audioholic
SVS Looks good to me

I'll give it a try;
SVS Sub contest;
1) Home theater and music consists of the following, Display Samsung 67" DLP calibrated by "isf" certified technician
Receiver Onkyo TX-NR605
CD Player Onkyo C-S5vl
Blu-Ray Sony PS3
Surge Protection Belkin Pure AV 20800
Main Speakers Monitor Audio Silver RS8
Center Monitor Audio Silver RSLCR
Subwoofer Martin Logan Abyss
Surrounds Speaker Craft CRS 62
Cabling (all) Blue Jeans
2) Room description is 15 x 21 open to dining/kitchen area carpeted with no room treatments
3) Music and movies since my first "Realistic" (radio schack) receiver in 1998 using Cerwin Vega speakers
4) Level of expertise, novice I have used the Radio Schack SPL meter and Audesey features
5) No reviews posted just feedback http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/52599-paradigm-monitor-7-compared-monitor-audio-rs6.html
6) Pure desire to go further in my current environment
7) I do not have additional equipment

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
1.Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
- #1 Sherwood Newcastle r-972 avr, Axiom audio and Kef main and surround speakers, SVS PB12-NSD
- #2 Emotiva DAC, Emotiva mono block amps, Thiel Speakers in 2.0. no subwoofer

2.Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
- 22 by 14, catheral ceiling, carpet, large opening on one side.

3.How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
- 35 years, violinist with good ear , IMO

4.What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V, and in particular, subwoofers?
always a student, but think I'm pretty good.

5.Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
- No

6.Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
- I'm very critical, - you won't get, " gee, it's awesome" from me - unless it is.

7.Bonus (NOT required): Do you have the ability to take basic acoustic measurements - yes - basic.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
Primary System:
Samsung PN50C450 Plasma
Homebuilt HTPC (Celeron E3300, AMD 5450, 2TB)
Onkyo TX-SR706 Receiver
JBL S38ii (center)
JBL S310ii (fronts)
JBL Control Now (surrounds)
SVS 2011 PB12-NSD (subwoofer)
Monoprice Cables
Belkin PureAV PF30
Nintendo Wii

Secondary System:
Behringer B2031P
Behringer UB1204FX
Homebuilt Multipurpose Computer
Sennheiser HD280 Pro Headphones

Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
Family Room/HT is 13' x 14' with 14' vaulted ceilings and large openings into a kitchen and hallway making the effective volume much larger.

DIY Broadband absorption (2” 703 w/ 2” airspace) a side 1st reflection and along a portion of the front wall.

Room Diagram Here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1179045/Home Theater.png

started on an 8-track and phono with Koss Headphones when I was about 10, so 23 years. Got serious about it really quick and had my own surround sound by 14, which, in 1993 was quite a feat.

What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V, and in particular, subwoofers?
I’ve lingered in the mid-end for a while with Athena and Aperion subs. I’d also classify my SVS PB12-NSD as mid-end based on price, but compared to what other manufacturers put out there for the same $800, the performance is definitely high-end.

I’ve had a home theater podcast, the Real HT Info podcast, in the past, and have attended a number of audio/tech shows in New York.

Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
I’ve linked to my previous work on the forums: 2011 SVS PB-12NSD Subwoofer Review - YouTube

Post: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/subwoofers/77947-svs-pb12-nsd-video-review.html

Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
I think that if you check out my podcast and other videos, you’ll have a good idea of the type of work I’ve done in the past.

Bonus (NOT required): Do you have the ability to take basic acoustic measurements (such as using the popular Room EQ Wizard software)?
Yes, I can do in-room measurement with REW and Galaxy CM-140 w/ cal file.

Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic

Home Theater - Panasonic Plasma 1080p 50" (Calibrated by using Spears & Munsil disc), APC Line Conditioner, Sony PS3 used as BD and DVD player, 3TB HD Music Transport WAV format, SA HD DVR, Onkyo 809, Emotiva XPA-3, Aperion VGT's, VGC, VFS's, SVS PB12 Plus DSP.

Stereo Rig - APC Line Condtioner, Media Monkey WAV format via Digital Optical, Emotiva DAC-1, Emotiva USP-1, Emotiva UPA-1 x2, Aperion VGB on 30" stands, SVS SB12 DSP.

Home Theater - 11' x 19' x 8', one door sized opening to kitchen. No room treatments, but wall-to-wall carpet.

Stereo Rig - 9' x 9' (not exactly square as there is a closet and a small hall to the door not included in the dimensions) no room treatments, but wall-to-wall carpet. With no EQ and one sub I get +/- 5db from 23 - 200hz at my listening position.

Since I was 16 (currently 33) and bought my first surround sound system.

Most of what I know comes from perusing this website. I don't consider myself an expert, but I know more than the average Joe.

No

Only that I have two seperate spaces that I could use for evaluation of both music and movies and I could compare the SB13 Ultra to the other SVS products I own.

Yes. I have a calibrated Dayton mic and use REW to measure my equipment. I also own an SPL meter.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My system is only for music:

Emotiva ERC-2 CD Player, used only as a PCM signal driver
Benchmark Media DAC1-HDR pre-amp/DAC
ATI AT3000 amplifier
Revel Salon 2 speakers
Velodyne DD18-Plus subwoofer

The primary listening space is 19x17, with a polyhedron-shaped ceiling that peaks at about 18 feet for most of the area. I don't use room treatments. The listening space is carpeted with padding, and the floor is suspended. The wall behind the speakers is mostly glass. The wall opposite the speakers consists of built-in bookshelves for 8 feet of height. The primary furniture in the room is a very large leather sectional sofa, with a matching fully-padded 4'x4' hassock.

The listening space is essentially 3-sided, and opens into another room with a floor area about 1.3 times the size of the listening area, but has a 9' ceiling. Above the adjoining room is a loft which also opens into the upper half of the listening area volume. Overall, I've estimated the total volume of the total space as seen by the speakers at about 12,000 cubic feet.

I've been active in what I'll call "high performance audio" since the early 1980s.

I am not an A/V professional or an audio product developer. I have what I would judge to be a reasonable level of understanding about speakers and subwoofers as a consumer, more so about electronics.

No.

I would be performing a direct comparison to the Velodyne DD18 Plus. I'm not the slightest bit brand-loyal or defensive about previous purchases, and I'm actually curious how the two would compare. If you don't want the two products compared, don't pick me. ;)

I use some live recordings of my wife on solo drums and in her jazz trio that were made in my own home to judge realism. I know what her bass drum sounds like.

Bonus (NOT required): Do you have the ability to take basic acoustic measurements (such as using the popular Room EQ Wizard software)
Yes, I use the OmniMic system.

Landshark1

Landshark1

Audiophyte
Denon 3313Ci, Definitive Tech Mythos ST x 2, Definitive Tech CLR2002 center, Definitive Tech Mythos GemXL x 2 surround. No dedicated subwoofer.

Main family room for the system, 19'x20' with one side open to the kitchen (so only 3 walls), kitchen size 18.5'x21.5'. So one big open space.

I would say, starting around late 2007 when I built my first dedicated HT in my old townhouse. That old HT was featured on Electronic House's DIY showcase magazine. ;)

I've been reading, keeping up, with most Internet Direct subwoofer company (Hsu, Rymik, SVS, etc.) via reading from forums like AVS. But I wouldn't say I'm a sub expert to be honest.

No

I would describe myself as more like better than average Joe, but nowhere nearly as an expert as other A/V enthusiasts. Most of my equipment is more like mid range components. And since I'm not running a sub at the moment (my last sub is a Definitive Tech Supercube I for a small 12'x15' sealed room), and relies on the Mythos ST's low end punch, I'm in need looking for a dedicated subwoofer for my space. And I think I'll give better "average person/buyer"'s point of view than an all about numbers/measurements review.

Sorry, no. But I do have a SPL meter if that helps.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Pre-Entry Contest Questions

[1]Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
[2] Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
[3] How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
[4] What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V, and in particular, subwoofers?
[5] Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
[6] Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
[7] Bonus (NOT required): Do you have the ability to take basic acoustic measurements (such as using the popular Room EQ Wizard software)?
1. Sharp LC-46D85U lcd tv, Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, & CB-5 speakers, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX subwoofer (on Auralex Gramma), Yamaha RX-V667 avr, and Denon POA-2400A amplifier. Monoprice cables & banana plugs. Cheap Sanus speaker stands for the rear speakers, Init tv stand, and one cheap bed. Computer system has a pair of Energy RC-10s and an old Yamaha RX-V795.

2. The room is the master bedroom. Dimensions are 17 ft x 13.7 ft with a mostly 10 ft ceiling that slopes down along one of the walls. The doorway is another 3.25 ft x 3.1 ft x 9 ft. Two more doors (flush with walls) lead to a bathroom and a closet.

3. I'd say about 12 years...since I was 14 or so.

4. High-end A/V experience? I don't really think I have any :(

5. Just a super short blurb on some speakers I won a long time ago: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/general-av-discussions/64601-big-thanks-orb-audio-audioholics.html

6. Unfortunately I do not, unless being a regular guy with a tiny paycheck who happens to like movies and music makes me more qualified in some way :D

7. I don't have a laptop, so I don't think so.

S

schaume

Enthusiast
Contest

[*]Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
Yamaha V-757 receiver, Panasonic DVD/CD player, Orb Audio speakers, 8in Orb Sub
[*] Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?
Living room: 22x45 with opening into the bedroom at the end of the space, another opening into the kitchen and the front door offset in the front.
[*] How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
About 8 years
[*] What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V, and in particular, subwoofers?
Mid level
[*] Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.
Nope not yet!
[*] Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?
I'm looking to upgrade to a quality system from my very basic set-up, and a quality sub like this would be a corner stone of that development (moving my current box-o-crap out of the corner)
Desperate need for a sub that will not bottom out during movies, plays well during rock music and loud enough to disturb the neighbors! Reasonably tech savvy and willing to learn/play with the sub to optimize performance in my less than ideal set-up.
[*] Bonus (NOT required): Do you have the ability to take basic acoustic measurements (such as using the popular Room EQ Wizard software)?
Thanks for the chance!
[/LIST]

B

Berty52

Audioholic Intern
Equipment:
Panasonic TC-P50G20
Receiver: Pioneer Élite VSX-01TXH
Blu-ray player: Pioneer BDP-320
Speakers: Polk RTi10, CSi5, RC85i, RC65i
Subwoofers: SVS PC-Ultra (12”) and PB-12.5 Plus

Room size is 11’ x 20’ with 7’ ceiling and no acoustic treatments

My passion for HT started about 20 years ago. I had my first Yamaha receiver (RX-V850) with 5 small speakers and my first sub was a Yamaha YST-SW100. I upgraded my sub with a SVS PB-10 and couple years after I upgraded it with a SVS 12” PC-Ultra and lately I bought a PB-12.5 Plus. I’m running 2 subs and I love it, powerful bass that shake the house.

My level of expertise: I think I’m good, I calibrate all speakers with SPL meter and I do it for my friends.

I have never performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums.

I have had several sub including 3 SVS and I would very much like to try this new model.

Yes I can use a SPL meter like I said before.

P

PewterTA

Audiophyte
1. Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 802 Diamonds, HTM2 Diamond, 602s3 Rears, SVS PC12 (original not plus).
Pre-Amp: Rotel RSP-1098
Amp: Rotel RB-1090 (main) & RMB-1095 (Center & Rear)
CDP: Cambridge Audio 840c
Power Conditioner: APC S15
TV: 56" Samsung DLP
Interconnects: CAT SilverCat Interconnects
Power: BlackSandsAudio Violet Z1 MKII
DVD: Oppo 971
BluRay: PS3
HTPC: Win7 (streaming music and Video)
Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 (connected into the CA 840c)
2. Room Dimensions are 16' x 32'
3. I've been an audiophile for well over 15 years.
4. Professional?!? Everyone comes to me about what and how to make their systems better or what to get for upgrades.
5. No, not for Audioholics
6. I'm one of the people that has extremely good hearing, I can pinpoint frequency locations down to 20Hz so I tend to integrate subs very well. I'm also very good at describing how tactile the sound coming from the sub is as well along with the musicality and/or HT ability. I'm the kind of person that likes to allow the component to speak for itself vs. saying things that aren't true. I always try to give my absolute honest opinion and relate what I'm saying to other things that people might know so that people can decide for themselves where my statements rate.
7. I don't have REW, but I do have a couple good microphones that I could use with the software to get pretty good results (can do outdoor testing for accuracy). Also have a calibrated RadioShack SPL Meter.

Last edited:
N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
1) Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
Family room:
Panasonic TH-50PZ85U plasma TV
DirecTV HD DVR
Playstation 3
Denon 2309CI AVR
NHT L5 on wall L/C/R speakers
Paradigm ADP-190 surround speakers
SVS PB10-NSD subwoofer
APC H15 power conditioner

Patio:
Zone 2 controlled by Denon AVR.
NAD 1600 pre-amp
NAD 2400 2 channel amp
Bowers & Wilkins WM-6 outdoor speakers

Also, old Infinity Reference 4 towers in basement powered by old Onkyo Stereo receiver.

2) Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?

12 x 10 foot family room completely open on the right side. No room treatments although the room is fully carpeted and has 2 wall made of wood paneling.

3) How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?
I purchased my first system between freshmen and sophomore years of college and was hooked. I became even more interested in 2008 when I was able to finally install my first 5.1 HT setup in my new house that had been partially wired by the previous owner. It was at that time I discovered the ID companies and the numerous internet forums related to audio/visual setups.

4) What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V, and in particular, subwoofers?

Over the last 4+ years I have read numerous threads regarding HT systems, almost every review in most of the online magazines such as HomeTheater and Sound&Vision, and also read numerous articles ranging from subwoofer measurements to center speaker design. Still, compared to most on this board, I am definitely a novice. But it has been nice to be able to occasionally offer advice to those less experienced or knowledgeable than me and then see it seconded by veterans here and on AVS.

5) Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.

No

6) Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?

I feel I know enough about subwoofers to properly calibrate it using my SPL meter and the room correction software in my AVR. I also have a good idea of what it should sound like during bass intensive movies. But, I have not owned that many subwoofers so my review would be less technical and more geared toward the person just starting to enjoy HT and subwoofers in particular, and what they would expect to get out of purchasing the SB13-Ultra.

7) Bonus (NOT required): Do you have the ability to take basic acoustic measurements (such as using the popular Room EQ Wizard software)?

Other than a SPL meter, no.

J

Junior19

Audioholic Intern
Specifications

• Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.

I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver paired with Speakercraft AIM 7-Three in wall for all 7.1 Surround Speakers. Canton AS100SC Sub. I have a Samsung 8000 Series 64" Plasma display, a Samsung 3D Blu Ray player, Dedicated PC Media Server, and a Panamax M5300 Surge Protector.
  • Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?

Evaluation room is my great room, measuring 24' Wide, 23' Deep w/ 9' Flat Ceiling. I do have an 8' wide opening to a hallway that leads to the front door, that is approximately 10' wide and 26' long. No acoustical treatments exist in this area.
  • How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?

About 8 years
  • What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V, and in particular, subwoofers?

I was a custom installer for ultra high end theaters for about 3 years, this was about 6 years ago. As far as subwoofers go, I have built a few DIY enclosures, otherwise Velodyne was our preferred brand.
  • Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.

No I am a fairly new member.
  • Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?

I have installed hundreds of home theaters in the past, as well as my own, and can relate much of the info to systems that reach well into the $100's of thousands of dollars, and low budget systems that are bang for the buck. I dont have near the technical knowledge as many members here do, but I have an old school listening ear.
  • Bonus (NOT required): Do you have the ability to take basic acoustic measurements (such as using the popular Room EQ Wizard software)?

I have not used that software, but have used other programming software in the past, and am sure it is something I can learn to use, yes I have taken basic acoustic measurements for theater design in the past.
QUOTE]

Attachments

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Please answer the below questions by replying to the official contest thread. The Audioholics staff will use these answers along with your forum history to determine the three entrants. SVS will not participate in the selection process. Note, we'll be selecting based on multiple criteria, so there is no reason to exaggerate rooms size or the level of your system - you may inadvertently disqualify yourself in the process!

Marantz AV7005
Anthem PVA 7 (7 Channel Amp)
Paradigm Speakers
Studio 60v3
Studio CC-690 Center Channel
4x Studio ADP-490 (2x rear 2x Surround)
Seismic 12 Subwoofer (Bottom Firing)
Audioquest Interconnects
Monster Speaker cable
Monster Power HTS3600 Power/Surge
Marantz UD5005 Blu-Ray Player

Room dynamics are slightly less than ideal in a 16x14 area with a window on one wall opposite side of subwoofer currently.
Hard wood Floors, do not use bass traps, absorbers, diffusers

Since about 2004 When I went from my Yamaha/klipsch to Separates Anthem AVM 30 & Paradigm Speakers and slowly built my system up

I would describe my level of expertise as between beginner and intermediate. I have done a lot of research, carefully planned my current setup and feel very comfortable tweaking my current Seismic 12 sub in placement and settings.

No reviews, but I have participated in conversations on troubleshooting sound issues. My friends have consistently used me as a resource to select, install and sound tweak their home theaters, so I am somewhat of a closet HiFi Geek. I actually have learned a lot about hifi through these forums in selecting and troubleshooting my own equipment.

All candidates have their qualifications, while some have more experience in certain areas, I would assume you would want to test the subwoofer with different gear and in different listening environments.

SPL Meter and the Audyssey’s MultEQ XT in my preamp processor. I am very technically proficient and would be able to learn other methods quickly.

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
1. Describe your current home theater and music system, listing all equipment, speakers, and subwoofers.
2. Describe your evaluation room (size, dimensions, openings), and do you utilize any room treatments (bass traps, absorbers, diffusers, etc.) in that room?

I would have the ability to test the sub in two rooms actually; both a living room (2.1) environment, and a dedicated theater room (7.2).

Living room is a large open space (living, kitchen, breakfast area all one) which is open to a great hallway all with 12' foot ceilings -- 30' x 25' x 12'. There is no treatment in this room, and is quite 'live' with all tie flooring. Equipment:

Display: Panasonic TC-P60GT30 60" Plasma
Audio Components: Denon 3808ci AVR & Emotiva XPA-3
Sources: Denon DVD-3910, Oppo BDP-93, and PS3
Speakers: Paradigm Studio 60 v.5
Subwoofer: SVS PB12+ (BASH amp)

The theater room is, of course, a dedicated space -- 21' x 20' x 10' -- light controlled (not that this has any bearing on audio) and well insulated from the rest of the home. This room is not treated, but has thick heavy carpeting and much densely padded seating which helps the acoustic a good deal.

Display: Epson 9700UB projector & 123" Stewart Luxus Deluxe Screen w/ Studio Tek 130 G3
Audio Components: Denon 4311ci, Emotiva XPA-3, Emotiva UPA-5
Sources: Oppo BDP-93
Speakers: SVS MTS mains, MCS center, Definitive Technology SR-8080BP (4)
Subwoofers: 2 x SVS PB12+ (SLEDGE amps)

3. How long have you been a music and HT aficionado?

Yikes, this would go back to when my dad got me into music listening on vintage JBL studio monitors of his. This then morphed past just music into the whole home theater experience as well. Probably more than anything was my development as a pianist -- which started at age 5 and has taken me around the world -- completing a masters in piano performance about 4 years ago (29 now). This great passion continues to fuel me today…

4. What is your level of expertise as it relates to high-end A/V, and in particular, subwoofers?

I would like to think I have a fairly varied experience in the area of A/V -- though certainly not to the technical and engineering level as many members here. The development of my own systems aside, I have done several music listening systems for friends and family; in addition to designing and installing 3 home theater systems which ran the course from bang for your buck to mid-range systems($30k).

In terms of truly 'high-end' I have had to opportunity to listen to and sought out the places to spend time with the top-end stuff in the $30k + stratosphere (Krell, Wilson, Revel, as some). Professionally, though outside of the realm of home audio, I've participated in the design and installation of some big budget systems. At my current church position we recently expanded the worship space to seat almost 2,000 which saw the installation of a $750k Meyer line-array and Crestron controlled system, as well as a new 64-channel digital organ (another $325k).

As for subwoofers, for home audio I have owned Velodyne MiniVee 10, SVS 16-46 PC+, PB13-Ultra (BASH), PB12+ (BASH and SLEDGE), and JL F110. My work with and playing on digital organs, also gives me experience with some very large scale and scary powerful systems (albeit for a very specific use).

5. Have you performed any previous equipment user reviews on Audioholics forums? If yes, please provide links.

No, not anything dedicated specifically as such.

6. Do you have anything else to add that may better qualify you as one of the three candidates?

Probably my training as a pianist -- being that my ears are honed to examine a great level of detail. The things a musician toils over such as details in dynamics, articulation, phrase, etc. -- lend themselves to being able to discern a nuanced, balanced, and accurate source reproduction.

7. Bonus (NOT required): Do you have the ability to take basic acoustic measurements (such as using the popular Room EQ Wizard software)?

No, but for the purpose of objective detail, I would look at purchasing to undertake an evaluation project such as this.

Attachments

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis