2 channel receiver with subwoofer in series

V

Veneto

Audiophyte
Basically, when wiring a subwoofer and a speaker in series to a 2-channel receiver, does the "order" of the speaker or subwoofer matter?

I have a 2-channel receiver with two 8 ohm floor speakers, and I am adding a small 4 ohm subwoofer to the system. The receiver has a speaker system rating of 4 ohms to 16 ohms, so I am thinking of connecting the subwoofer in series with the floor speakers - connecting in parallel would exceed its rating and overload the receiver. My question is: does it matter if the connection is (+)Receiver to Speaker to Subwoofer to (-)Receiver, or, should it be wired (+)Receiver to Subwoofer to Speaker to (-)Receiver? (I can make a diagram to explain what I mean if this is confusing.)

This question might seem silly, but I thought I'd ask. I appreciate any clarification.

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Is it actually a passive sub, or is there an amplifier on the sub that has high-level inputs?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, we need to know if it is passive or active. If passive and 4 Ohm, I would not put it inline with your other speakers. If active, you don't even need to connect it in series - you can connect one set of wires to the sub and a second set to the speakers because the impedance of the sub doesn't matter if it is active.

What receiver are we talking about?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Basically, when wiring a subwoofer and a speaker in series to a 2-channel receiver, does the "order" of the speaker or subwoofer matter?

I have a 2-channel receiver with two 8 ohm floor speakers, and I am adding a small 4 ohm subwoofer to the system. The receiver has a speaker system rating of 4 ohms to 16 ohms, so I am thinking of connecting the subwoofer in series with the floor speakers - connecting in parallel would exceed its rating and overload the receiver. My question is: does it matter if the connection is (+)Receiver to Speaker to Subwoofer to (-)Receiver, or, should it be wired (+)Receiver to Subwoofer to Speaker to (-)Receiver? (I can make a diagram to explain what I mean if this is confusing.)

This question might seem silly, but I thought I'd ask. I appreciate any clarification.
You don't put a subwoofer in series with the main speakers. If the woofer has a passive crossover, it will filter the highs that should go to the main speakers the same way it does for the woofer, but the different load will change the crossover frequency. If you want to use this, get a subwoofer plate amp that has speaker level inputs. It won't work the way you have described.

V

Veneto

Audiophyte
The sub is a powered Yamaha YST-MSW10. It has a set of RCA L & R jacks for speaker level input. I planned to make two cables with RCA connector ends to connect to the receiver. Here is a link to a manual for this item: w ww2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/pcS/YST-MSW10.pdf (I require more posts on the forum to post any sort of link, so this will have to do. My apologies in advance.)

The receiver is a Superscope R-330. The closest manual I found for this item is the Superscope R-1270 ( w ww.superscope-marantzpro.com/company/history/oldproducts/Superscope_R-1270_Manual.pdf ). The main differences are that the R-330 is smaller, and doesn't have a speaker-selector or quad-phase output.

I didn't figure there that frequencies would be filtered, or that the load would be affected. With that in mind, I think I will be able to connect the sub as j_garcia suggested. Thanks for the advise!

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Yeah after looking at the manual I think you are on the right track now. Hook up the sub speaker-level inputs in parallel with the main speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis