G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
Epik will be posting specs on their website soon. They never include anything with the sub

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
the empire has landed!!

I dont really have it set up or anything i just plugged it in and started putting movies in. BUT WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its amazing

i will post some of the pics
Hi Chris, What are your impressions in regards to the quality of the surround material?
Is it foam or a textured rubber?
Thanks

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I'm not getting a good feel for the driver placement. Are the speakers mounted on opposite sides facing away from each other, or is one driver internally mounted - like on the James subs? Man, you gonna have to take more pix.

DJ

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not getting a good feel for the driver placement. Are the speakers mounted on opposite sides facing away from each other, or is one driver internally mounted - like on the James subs? Man, you gonna have to take more pix.

DJ

The Epik is designed exactly the same as a Seaton Submersive a very well extablished and respected design, Dual Opposed 15" drivers in a medium sized cabinet firing in tandem opposite each other.

If I could have entertained the size of subs with a dual opposed design I would have gone that route... infact they are truly a superior design then a single front or even down firing sub... totally inert enclosure as well as less need for higher excursion individual drivers....

Personally I'm looking forward to hearing more - the Submersive itself is a very very impressive transducer...

H

Haaspac

Audioholic
Oh man I am wanting to sell my PC12-nsd and pick this baby up so bad. I use it paired with my EMP beryllium speakers and tube amp for a ridiculous office music setup. Or maybe sell my home theater EMP sub and put the epik in my HT, or maybe put my svs in my HT and use the epik empire for my music setup. hmmmmm choices choices. I've always wanted an epik sub (well the conquest anyways). I wonder if the empire can beat the old conquest.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
yes they are facing away from each other, I will try to take more pics this weekend.. its sooo heavy though that its hard to move around to get different views

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
The surround is foam, polysomethingsomething, that won't rot. The Empire won't beat the output numbers of the Dynasty or Conquest down low near tuning, but will exceed both (I think that's what he said) above 50hz. Coupled with some room gain the sub will go deep and loud throughout it's range, but the strength is in how it sounds (horses mouth, I haven't heard it) in comparison to previous Epik subs. That's one reason for discontinuing the 18" models and even the 12" subs...since he's walking all over his price points with the Empire.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
The surround is foam, polysomethingsomething, that won't rot. The Empire won't beat the output numbers of the Dynasty or Conquest down low near tuning, but will exceed both (I think that's what he said) above 50hz. Coupled with some room gain the sub will go deep and loud throughout it's range, but the strength is in how it sounds (horses mouth, I haven't heard it) in comparison to previous Epik subs. That's one reason for discontinuing the 18" models and even the 12" subs...since he's walking all over his price points with the Empire.
Ron,

I currently have a Phoenix as you may already know, my first floor is more of an open floor plan and I do not have a sealed room so to speak. Also, I always run my mains and cross at 80Hz. With my Anti-mode 8033 I am +/- 4dB from 16Hz to 100Hz with the Phoenix.
In your opinion, what kind of differences could I expect replacing the Phoenix with an Empire? My gut feeling tells me not much being that a sealed subwoofer in my room may not benefit as much as a ported.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Ron,

I currently have a Phoenix as you may already know, my first floor is more of an open floor plan and I do not have a sealed room so to speak. Also, I always run my mains and cross at 80Hz. With my Anti-mode 8033 I am +/- 4dB from 16Hz to 100Hz with the Phoenix.
In your opinion, what kind of differences could I expect replacing the Phoenix with an Empire? My gut feeling tells me not much being that a sealed subwoofer in my room may not benefit as much as a ported.
Gov, there are strengths the 18s have around tuning that sealed dual 15s won't. I read from another post saying that the Phoenix and Empire are close until you get to that midbass region. I don't know if that's true or not, I'd think the Phoenix would have the advantage by a few dbs down low. in my mind it would depend on how much amp boost is applied to the Empire...I doubt if it's much, probably just enough to grab about 8-10dbs of room gain (in most rooms) to flatten the response.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with your sub and my gut says you'd just be trading dollars for some upper bass articulation and output. You might want to do that and you're a guy that can actually corner Chad and probably get a demo. If you really have the itch, then I'd start working on it.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
here's my listening room, its about 18' square with vaulted ceilings and wall is open to a stair case. I made some room treatments that I have behind my main speakers which seem to help alot, now I need to make some more of them. Please dont laugh at my decor ... its basicaly modern single guy who only cares about his stereo stuff :D

Attachments

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
as far as testing this out for everyone i do have a SPL meter, but nothing else what would you want me to measure?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis