Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize?!?!

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Absolutely but that does not meet the criteria for which the poster suggested he could make his case.
The quote you gave from him said "the best work for".

But I think the NPC has been clear that they are trying to use the prize to effect change rather than aknowledge achievment. I don't know if I agree with that or not, but I do understand it.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The quote you gave from him said "the best work for".

But I think the NPC has been clear that they are trying to use the prize to effect change rather than aknowledge achievment. I don't know if I agree with that or not, but I do understand it.
I'd still like that poster to make his case that Obama has done any work to that end, nevermind the best work. Besides, when it comes to international diplomacy, Hilary Clinton has done all the work, all the traveling and all the negotiating for the administration. If the prize is for having done work towards that goal, should not have Hilary won the prize rather than Big O?:confused:

At any rate, I find myself in total agreement with Obama in his response when he says,

"Let me be clear, I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments"

"I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many transformative figures that have been honored by this prize"

I couldn't have said it better myself.:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe more things could be based on potential and not results. I wish that promotions where I work were handed out based on the potential that I showed in high school. Heck, I'd be running the place right now. Into the ground, sure, but still...

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
The reason he started this thread was not because it somehow supported his belief, and it only slightly contradicts his hate for political threads. My educated postulation of why he started the thread is right in the context. He was surprised no one else had mentioned it yet and wanted to be the herald of the news. It's an exciting feeling for someone to deliver news, especially when they usually aren't the first one to the punch. It's called "me first" syndrome, meaning he knew about it soon enough to make an announcement to everyone else. He's proud of making the statement.

Next time give the guy a pat on the back, recognition is a powerful thing.:D
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. I wasn't really trying to make a political point. I was really just thumbing my nose at Buckeye Nut for not immediately latching on to something that he could slam Obama about and starting another tiresome political thread.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Aren't you the one who complained about political threads? :confused:
He was probably only objecting to your participation in them ... like in this one. :D

I didn't read the whole thread so I hope I'm not restating the obvious. :eek:

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
To be honest this was unfair to Obama. Shouldn't we celebrate a guy after he's done a great job. I personally would love for Obama to earn this award before he's acknowledged.

itschris

itschris

To be honest this was unfair to Obama. Shouldn't we celebrate a guy after he's done a great job. I personally would love for Obama to earn this award before he's acknowledged.
I don't know that deep down inside or maybe not so deep, that he feels he doesn't deserve it. I think the one characteristic that even some people who support him feel is his biggest weakness is his arrogrance.

The tactical response exactly what he did, act humble, acknowledge the skeptics. Give the appearance. If it were sincere, he would have, in a very respectful way, declined... or accept the honor and explain why he was going to give the prize money to the runner up. I wish that would have happened.

I used to just dislike his politics, but was interested in the man. Now that I've had a good chunk of time to see, hear, and learn about him, I find that dislike has stretched way beyond just his methods.

R

redass

Junior Audioholic
I don't know that deep down inside or maybe not so deep, that he feels he doesn't deserve it. I think the one characteristic that even some people who support him feel is his biggest weakness is his arrogrance.

The tactical response exactly what he did, act humble, acknowledge the skeptics. Give the appearance. If it were sincere, he would have, in a very respectful way, declined... or accept the honor and explain why he was going to give the prize money to the runner up. I wish that would have happened.

I used to just dislike his politics, but was interested in the man. Now that I've had a good chunk of time to see, hear, and learn about him, I find that dislike has stretched way beyond just his methods.
hey, way to figure out a way to hold something against the guy when he didn't actually do anything at all. :rolleyes:

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. I wasn't really trying to make a political point. I was really just thumbing my nose at Buckeye Nut for not immediately latching on to something that he could slam Obama about and starting another tiresome political thread.
This might be a good strategy against all the political trolls here at audioholics. Beat them to the punch! :p

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
hey, way to figure out a way to hold something against the guy when he didn't actually do anything at all. :rolleyes:
Ah, but he did do something ... He made a choice. He accepted an award he didn't earn or deserve instead of respectfully declining it.

Generally speaking - when the liberal and conservative statements align with those of Hugo Chavez to say it was a bad decision to accept ... I'd say you have a pretty good consensus that he should have declined.

itschris

itschris

Exactly. Do you make a habit of accepting things you don't deserve? Would you want someone to call you a "hero" if you were the guy who just stood on the curb watching and not the one who ran into the burning building to save people? Would you accept a sales award from you company if there were others who sold more than you? Would you accept a bonus for something you didn't really earn?

I hope not. I know I've graciously shown my appreciation for recognition, but have respectfully declined the cudos because someone else was more serving. Other times I've made a point to at the very least share the acknowledgement with others who got me to where I was. It's what people of character do.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Exactly. Do you make a habit of accepting things you don't deserve? Would you want someone to call you a "hero" if you were the guy who just stood on the curb watching and not the one who ran into the burning building to save people? Would you accept a sales award from you company if there were others who sold more than you? Would you accept a bonus for something you didn't really earn?

I hope not. I know I've graciously shown my appreciation for recognition, but have respectfully declined the cudos because someone else was more serving. Other times I've made a point to at the very least share the acknowledgement with others who got me to where I was. It's what people of character do.
What if you broke the ultimate race barrier in a nation that only 40 years ago was on the heels of a bloody racial war?

He did accomplish one good thing by proving that America could elect a black man to it's highest office. I think that would have been a much better basis for the award.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
... all the political trolls here at audioholics.
Poor form but we're gonna let it slide because you're Canadian.

Many of these 'trolls' dish out great audio advice that makes this a great site and they like talking to each other. That's their business and they probably don't appreciate name calling. ;)

He did accomplish one good thing by proving that America could elect a black man to it's highest office.
He's BLACK ??? :eek:
That's it. I'm moving back to Canada. Minus for PM. :rolleyes:

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Exactly. Do you make a habit of accepting things you don't deserve?
I know that you returned the stimulus check to the IRS because it was a progressive tax. Right?

Do you really think turning it down would have been better? Seems that would have been a big F.Y. to an awful lot of people. I suspect you'd find a reason to call him a jerk if he did that too.

Would you want someone to call you a "hero" if you were the guy who just stood on the curb watching and not the one who ran into the burning building to save people? Would you accept a sales award from you company if there were others who sold more than you? Would you accept a bonus for something you didn't really earn?
Name the athlete that gave back the MVP award. I want an example.

So you've come up and acknowledged that you've not thusfar made accomplishments that made you feel deserving of the award, but you hoped to rise to the occasion and do so going forward. Perhaps you took the cash prize and signed it to charity.

If Obama did something like that, would that appease you?

itschris

itschris

I know that you returned the stimulus check to the IRS because it was a progressive tax. Right?

Do you really think turning it down would have been better? Seems that would have been a big F.Y. to an awful lot of people. I suspect you'd find a reason to call him a jerk if he did that too.

Name the athlete that gave back the MVP award. I want an example.

So you've come up and acknowledged that you've not thusfar made accomplishments that made you feel deserving of the award, but you hoped to rise to the occasion and do so going forward. Perhaps you took the cash prize and signed it to charity.

If Obama did something like that, would that appease you?
In my industry, we sometimes like to pat ourselves on the back, even when we don't deserve it. Yes. I have very rich bonus programs that I get paid on for meeting any number of goals and objectives. I have certainly met and or surpassed them most times, but there have been time where I have fallen just short, yet been told "close enough." I don't adhere to that and I reject that bonus. I try to set an example to my staff that you get what you deserve both good and bad.

The MVP analogy is a bit unfair since, at least to my knowledge, it's rarely handed to players who have not really did anything. I think you can debate maybe whether or not one person should have got it or another, but there usually is some defensable premise.

With the exception of his most ardent supporters, most are pretty much of the same opinion that this was clearly an award he should not have gotten, insofar as histroical standards go. But as I said, even Yassar Arafat received it so draw your own conclusion.

Granted I have contempt for his politics, his methodology, and his justification for what few things he has done so far and what he yet wants to do with health care and any other policy that's designed to penalize success and growth. My dislike for him personally has nothing to do with politics, but his character, his behavior, his deameanor. I don't like it. I can't say much more.

itschris

itschris

Poor form but we're gonna let it slide because you're Canadian.

Many of these 'trolls' dish out great audio advice that makes this a great site and they like talking to each other. That's their business and they probably don't appreciate name calling. ;)

He's BLACK ??? :eek:
That's it. I'm moving back to Canada. Minus for PM. :rolleyes:
I'm still trying to get my head around the "first black President" thing. Two people I work with, one who is black (who is also a very good personal friend to me) and one who is half black and half white, do not think of him as a "black" man.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a social expert on race. But if your half of one thing and half another, how can you be just one of those things? He's black, but isn't he also white? There's a part of me that takes offense to his dismissal of his white half (for lack of a better way to put it.) much like I think how a black person would feel if he referred to himself as white - which I guess he could do just as easily. Is it based which parent? The race listed in the census is based on your mother's race if I'm not mistaken. So it there a social vs official difference. I don't know and I want to understand.

In the grand scheme of things, I really don't care if he or anyone else is white or black or some % of either, but I don't understand what makes you one or the other or why you choose to call yourself one or the other ignoring your equal other race. The person I work with is also 50/50 refers to herself as mulatto, not white, not black, when we discuss race based issues or talk of Obama. I'm not close with her nor do I know her well enough to probe for an understanding. My friend who actually is an African American from Africa, doesn't think of him as black and doesn't like American blacks calling themselves African American.

Race is very complicated and it's difficut to even discuss because despite how careful you are or how sincere your points are, you will likely offend someone in a very serious way. I wish it wasn't like that, but it is, I can understand that to a great degree.

What makes you black, or white, for that matter. If you 25% black, would/could you still calll yourself a black person? If you're just 25% white, would/could you still call yourself white?

It's a question I've thought about now and then since Obama came to the limelight and he and everyone else referred to him as black. Personally, race doesn't matter much to me, but I do have a sincere desire to have a better understanding of thoughts, feelings, and motivations behind it. As a white male, I realize that my views can tend to be somewhat myopic on some things, but before I can expand my view, I need to first understand.

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
itschris, I think the first black president thing is very simple. He looks black in such a way that he would have faced serious discrimination in our country going back some years. I think we are all aware of how folks who looked black were treated, are we not? I don't think his white half would have been allowed to vote or ride in the front of the bus or play major league baseball, just to state a few examples.

I know more than a few black people who share this opinion.

On a lighter note, Wanda Sykes has a new HBO special. She sort of addresses this issue. But she says that if Obama screws up badly she will be the first person complaining about that "half white president".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis