BIC or Premeir Acoustic????

M

mike171979

Enthusiast
I'm in the mood for a new sub, but am having a hard time trying to find reviews for subs I'm looking at.

From all I can gather, Unless I want to spend $500 plus on a sub, which I don't, I basically have no other choice but a, PA-120 or a BIC F12 or H100.

The Problem I have with the PA and BIC subs is simple, I can't find one professional review of either sub.

The PA and BIC have great specs, down to 24hz, 150-200 Watts RMS, etc. etc.

But how is one supposed to decide?????

And why can't other brands sell a sub for between $200 and $250?

Matt34

Matt34

I'm in the mood for a new sub, but am having a hard time trying to find reviews for subs I'm looking at.

From all I can gather, Unless I want to spend $500 plus on a sub, which I don't, I basically have no other choice but a, PA-120 or a BIC F12 or H100.

The Problem I have with the PA and BIC subs is simple, I can't find one professional review of either sub.

I've had the Bic and currently have the pa-120 and they are, as far as I can recall, identical in performance. I think the Bic has a bash amp while the Pa does not. I'd just pick the one that looks better to you and know they are both going to perform almost identical.

A

AVKommonsense

Enthusiast
Well I don't have the Bic F-12 that you mention... But I do have two Bic America V-1220 subwoofers that I'm currently using in my living room downstairs... They are matted to my MB Quart CTR's and sound very good for the price. Unless you have a massive room, one should be more than enough. I bought two to balance out the bass... For the price, it was well worth it.

Bic America V-1220 currently being sold on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-430-Watt-Down-Firing-Subwoofer/dp/B0000Y2WYS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247167860&sr=8-3

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
ED A2-300 -$350 shipped. I got one a month ago and am very satisfied with the output. My room is very large and it does a very good job of filling the room with bass. I ordered a second to add some balance and gain a little more output. I have never heard the BIC or PA's though so I can not comment on the performance.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Check classifieds here. There is a paradigm sub going for 300 that would be a great deal.

M

mike171979

Enthusiast
This is the sub I finally decided on, its supposed to be a notch above the PA-120 and the H-100 in terms of power, sound quality and the fit and finish, so I guess we'll see.

# Frequency Response: 22Hz - 200Hz, adjustable crossover & volume controls.
# Sensitivity: 110dB @ 30Hz
# Drivers: Heavy Duty 12" poly-injected woofer with high power magnet and long excursion surround.
# Magnetic Shielding: NO
# Gold-Plated Terminals:YES
# Recommended Power: Built-in State-of-the-Art BASH Amplifier - 1000 Watts Dynamic Peak Output, 250 Watts RMS Continuous.
# Impedance: 8 ohms
# Dimensions: 17 1/4"H x 14 3/4"W x 19 1/2"D
# Weight: 52 lbs. Each

M

mike171979

Enthusiast
The total, shipped to me, was $329.

The PA120 was $229, and the H100 was $259, but after reading the specs, and then calling Sound Distributors and asking their opinion, I opted for the PL-200.

BTW, I was considering the A2-300, but 3 things caused me to hesitate: 1)The thing looks pretty ugly, at least to me, and where I have to place my sub it is going to be in plain sight. 2)I have no idea when it will arrive, I placed an order for this thing, and it shipped the next day and will be here tomorrow. 3)The A2-300 is 18" Wide, and that is just 2" too big to fit where I want it to, I could do some furniture shuffling but it would be a major headache.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
i got a whole package of BIC pencils for real cheap. :) They are even mechanical.

Nice deal. looks like a decent sub for sure.

When you get the funds pick up a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and calibrate that puppy.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Well I hope it works well for you. I am fortunate to have no limits on size for my app. Not to mention my HT room is not in my main area of the house. So my wife does not care how big my sub is. I will be curious to get some reviews and pics on your purchase. I am getting ready to finish out my basement with a full bar, pool table etc... I have some polks for speakers an will likely be adding 2 subs down there at some point and these may be a few options.

M

mike171979

Enthusiast
My PL-200 arrived today. It is replacing 2 Yamaha 10" Subs that I had in each corner of the front. The Yamahas were only 50W RMS each.

I placed my new PL-200 in the front between my left and right mains, and tried it out.

The thing Already blows the doors off of my 2 old Yamahas, and thats with the gain only set to about 1/4 of the way up.

I haven't re-ran Audessey yet, I'm just using the same settings as I had my 2 old subs setup to, except I took out the Y adapter and just have 1 cable now going to the PL-200.

This is just my very very first impressions, and so far I love the damn thing.

I'm going to bed now, and will try to calibrate it and get it going right tomorrow.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis