Custom Power Cord Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
reedwesd

reedwesd

Audioholic Intern
This has probably been discussed so if it has please point me in the right direction. I get a subscription to Audiophile mag basically to look at the over priced BS stuff that people buy. I have run across several ads advertising highend power cords ranging for $200 to $8000. $8000 for a power cord?:confused: The thing I don’t understand is they are still plugging it into a standard wall plug. Sure they sell an audiophile plug but most houses still just have standard 12/3 running to the breaker box. Am I missing something here?

J

jamie2112

Banned
This has probably been discussed so if it has please point me in the right direction. I get a subscription to Audiophile mag basically to look at the over priced BS stuff that people buy. I have run across several ads advertising highend power cords ranging for $200 to $8000. $8000 for a power cord?:confused: The thing I don’t understand is they are still plugging it into a standard wall plug. Sure they sell an audiophile plug but most houses still just have standard 12/3 running to the breaker box. Am I missing something here?
No you are not missing a thing. Its called Snake oil BS:eek: most houses have do have 12/3 running to the breaker box and unless you have a dedicated circut for your HT a 8000 dollar power cable will sound the same as a 20 dollar power cable. I am so over these"audiophile" cables that I can't stand it. It is total BS and I am glad you are seeing it that way as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is called "magic" :D AKA: "There's one born every minute"

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Common sense

Common sense is becoming rare!

reedwesd

reedwesd

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys. That is what I thought but you would think that some of these people who have or make that kind of money unless they inherited it would be a little smarter than that. I can see how someone would think maybe speaker wires make a difference (I am not one of them I think it is BS) but it does seem a little more logical that since it is running directly from a receiver or amp to the speakers it could make a difference but what do these people think is on the other side of their plugs $500,000 worth of wire running through there house:rolleyes:. Like you guys said one is born everyday.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks guys. That is what I thought but you would think that some of these people who have or make that kind of money unless they inherited it would be a little smarter than that. I can see how someone would think maybe speaker wires make a difference (I am not one of them I think it is BS) but it does seem a little more logical that since it is running directly from a receiver or amp to the speakers it could make a difference but what do these people think is on the other side of their plugs $500,000 worth of wire running through there house:rolleyes:. Like you guys said one is born everyday.
Common sense tells me that these "very wealthy people" running our financial institutions and corporations are in fact very stupid people indeed. This is why we are in such a terrible pickle. They are so stupid they can't give a good accounting of the mess they have created.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Common sense tells me that these "very wealthy people" running our financial institutions and corporations are in fact very stupid people indeed. This is why we are in such a terrible pickle. They are so stupid they can't give a good accounting of the mess they have created.

I don't think knowledge, common sense and ability have much to do with gaining power and position anywhere in our society. Popularity, physical appearance and connections are far more important.

Can a power cord affect the sound of your system? I'm surprised you have to ask. Of course it can't. I'd stay away from those high end magazines. Nothing good will come from reading them. Been there, done that.

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
I use a computer power cord for my 5 channel amp , it seems to power on .

Brett A

Brett A

Audioholic
Well, I'm going to stick myself out here and tell you that I have spent money on after market AC cords. Because, especially with my CD player, they made a subtle but important improvement in sound. I did not spend $8000, but $80 for the amp (from Signal Cable) and $35 for the CDp (a $110 Audioquest NRG-2 off eBay) With the CD player, a Rotel RDC 1070, it deepened the soundstage (made it more 3D) and improved the bass definition and extension. It also allowed the player to extract just a bit more detail. For instance, on track 7 of Freddy Cole's "Music Maestro Please", it made the difference of being able to hear the saliva "tick" in his mouth as he began a new phrase. With the stock cord, that very detail disappears- can't be heard.

Now, I realize by posting this, I'm opening up myself for attack (I'm an idiot, a fool, a victim of some industry wide corporate conspiracy). But the truth is, I think for myself; I don't read Hifi magazines and I often think the guys at my high end shop are full of it. I listen to what they say, and what you guys post, then I form my own opinions. And my opinion, which is supported by my experience is that in my system, an after market AC cord can indeed be heard.

(BTW, I do have a dedicated outlet powering my system-I hooked it up myself during a vacation for about $30 in materials)

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
You should try a blind test sometime.
You should just let people be and decide on their own. If it made an audible difference in his system which he hears then more power to him.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
You should just let people be and decide on their own. If it made an audible difference in his system which he hears then more power to him.
"Let people be"? If he can't take my post in stride, he shouldn't have posted at all.

I honestly and sincerely believe it would be beneficial for him to do a blind test.

If that simple, sincere sentiment bugs you, that's your problem.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
"Let people be"? If he can't take my post in stride, he shouldn't have posted at all.

I honestly and sincerely believe it would be beneficial for him to do a blind test.

If that simple, sincere sentiment bugs you, that's your problem.
First of all he already stated that he was opening himself for attack and doesn't care. Second, this thread is about custom power cords and if they make a difference so obviously the OP is looking for opinions on the matter from both sides of the camp. So in this particular thread Brett's post has more merit than yours.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
So in this particular thread Brett's post has more merit than yours.
I'm so ashamed. :rolleyes:

Brett's opinion would carry more weight with many, many readers if he did blind testing. I am, indeed, suggesting Brett do some blind testing and report back. He doesn't have to, of course, but it would be useful information.

Therefore, my post is perfectly relevant.

reedwesd

reedwesd

Audioholic Intern
I did not start this post to try to start a fight. I was just wondering if it really made any difference because the wire in the wall is typically 12/3 and even if you have dedicated wire to the breaker box if you use an expensive power cord going to the wall plug than in order for any kind of real benefits seems like you would need to spend a crap load of money to get that same kind of wire to the breaker box or your really not gaining anything.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I'm so ashamed. :rolleyes:

Brett's opinion would carry more weight with many, many readers if he did blind testing. I am, indeed, suggesting Brett do some blind testing and report back. He doesn't have to, of course, but it would be useful information.

Therefore, my post is perfectly relevant.
That's just it, an opinion. His opinion doesn't count more than anyone else and he stated that. Just as how you have your own opinions everyone is entitled to theirs. Do you honestly believe you are the first person to tell him what you wrote? Does he care? :rolleyes:. There is no need to start an argument which will lead to flaming just like every other post on this subject and many others.

Senior Audioholic
Of all the audio (and video) scams the after market power cord has to be right up there near the top.

If you think about it (but who does?)

The electricity travels down predominantly aluminum wire that is just hanging in mid air for hundreds of miles from the source.

The wire in most homes is often the cheapest bulk copper wire wire that the contractor could buy at the time.

Why would using some high quality wire for the last three feet make any difference?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Power cord ratings

I use a computer power cord for my 5 channel amp , it seems to power on .
FYI,
Power cords are not interchangable. A PC or small wall wart might include a 16 AWG or 18 AWG power cable with would not be appropriate for a high current HT amplifier. The same thing happens when you use a long/small gauge extension cord to connect a table saw or other power tools. More resistance = voltage drop = draw more current from the outlet.

It is a safe assumption, however, that a manufacturer will include the appropriate power cord and wire gauge with the device and you will see no performance increase by "upgrading" the power cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis