Okay someone explain the latest reputation to me and why "AV called me a idiot"

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I'm cool

And there you go...another thread going completely to another direction in only 2 pages...:D Not that i mind but sometimes i find it amusing.

Anyway, "cow" (forgot ur full id), don't worry bout the chicklets thing. I've been here to see many "senior" members of the forum got worse name. If you can't take it like a gentleman, then you might not find yourself suitable in any online forum...;)Sooner or later, someone might just wanna call you that just to piss you off...

I lost some reputation points but so what! I have tried to contribute and have learned a lot in my short span of time. Interesting people and interesting forum, and i have seen pictures of truly unbeliveable HT systems.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I thought the whole chiclet thing was eliminated.

We can still give them out?

How?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I lost some reputation points but so what! I have tried to contribute and have learned a lot in my short span of time. Interesting people and interesting forum, and i have seen pictures of truly unbeliveable HT systems.
Right on - that's a good attitude. I wouldn't worry about the red chicklet thing either, as others have pointed out, it's silly to begin with. The one true fact is that in an online forum with so many people from so many different walks of life participating, you're apt to say something at some point that is going to get someone all up in a tizzy. I've appreciated most of your posts thus far and think you have a lot to contribute to this forum - I didn't necessarily agree with your assesment of BJC, but hey - what does it matter. I've given out a red chicklet before to a couple of people who really truly deserved to know what I thought of them, when I didn't want to broadcast it as a general reply to their post, but other than that, I'll give far more thanks than anything else around here, even at times when I don't readily agree. ;)

Oh, and calling someone an idiot is just uncalled for, under any circumstances. Some people just really need to grow up.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I think it's pretty gutless for someone to not sign off their name with their reputation hand outs, especially when it's a negative one. I simply don't understand that level of cowardice.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Top right corner of each post is a scale, click it and it gives you the option to add rep(good or bad) and a comment block.
While I appreciate being able to add or detract from someones rep still, personally I think the chicklet system caused more whining and was heavily abused, both ways, compared to the simple "thanks" system. I think it should be done away with.

Jack

ps, i still like getting positive rep:rolleyes:

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

It's nothing to worry about, Midcow. Some people will leave a$$holish comments from time to time; that's just the nature of the internet. Just ignore them. I always felt the whole rep/chicklet thing was sort of "jr. high" anyhow. Why sweat over something an anonymous troll drops on your doorstep?;)

Don't let the ba$tards get you down.:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
While I appreciate being able to add or detract from someones rep still, personally I think the chicklet system caused more whining and was heavily abused, both ways, compared to the simple "thanks" system. I think it should be done away with.

Jack

ps, i still like getting positive rep:rolleyes:
The problem is the rep. system is not used for it's intended purpose. Some people here have huge amounts of rep, while others have less, that are more knowledgeable in audio, the purpose of this forum (I'm not talking about myself here, btw). It would be easy for someone to listen to a less informed individual simply because they know how to make everyone laugh.

SheepStar

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The problem is the rep. system is not used for it's intended purpose. Some people here have huge amounts of rep, while others have less, that are more knowledgeable in audio, the purpose of this forum (I'm not talking about myself here, btw). It would be easy for someone to listen to a less informed individual simply because they know how to make everyone laugh.

SheepStar
While this is certainly true, consider that it also helps to identify those who are genuinely thoughtful and helpful in their replies who may not be audio geniuses. The hobby holds a wide range of enthusiasts from beginner to professional and each has their own expectations, budget, limitations, etc. Sometimes, a mildly knowledgeable enthusiast can help somebody simply by listening to a poster's circumstances and asking the right questions or pointing out a direction to get the poster to the information he needs. One need not be an electrical engineer to help out a fellow user.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
While this is certainly true, consider that it also helps to identify those who are genuinely thoughtful and helpful in their replies who may not be audio geniuses. The hobby holds a wide range of enthusiasts from beginner to professional and each has their own expectations, budget, limitations, etc. Sometimes, a mildly knowledgeable enthusiast can help somebody simply by listening to a poster's circumstances and asking the right questions or pointing out a direction to get the poster to the information he needs. One need not be an electrical engineer to help out a fellow user.
Well said.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Like Dave said, we're not all geniuses, but hey if you can help, why not? And to be frank any newbie or "more informed" person can just access all the info posted on the home page and get all they need without coming to the forums. The forum(s) is basically opinions from different folks, don't expect it to be in the same class as J Neutron or OH!! MY!!! CRON!!! (substitute Janice-from-friends-voice) as these guys are EEs, 90% of the folks on this site couldn't get into the heavy science of A/V. Fortunately this hobby is comprised of many facets, first and foremost the people, followed by gear and lastly technical issues that most of us wouldn't be able to digest, so Sheep is right, in a sense albeit theoretically, but a first grader coming to Einstein for knowledge will be overwhelmed, you first start at the bottom and work your way up, as for the humor, oh well it's what makes this place interesting. Does this diminish the hobby in any way?:)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I think the whole "rep" thing is pretty stupid. But the last time I said that, someone anonymously gave me a bunch of negative rep as a joke I guess. If you're gonna trash someone, the least you can do is let them know who did it. Pretty cowardly otherwise.

Whatever. I still think green dots are pretty though. :D

majorloser

majorloser

SheepStar
"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f***ed up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to f***in' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?" - Joe Pesci :cool:

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Like Dave said, we're not all geniuses, but hey if you can help, why not? And to be frank any newbie or "more informed" person can just access all the info posted on the home page and get all they need without coming to the forums. The forum(s) is basically opinions from different folks, don't expect it to be in the same class as J Neutron or OH!! MY!!! CRON!!! (substitute Janice-from-friends-voice) as these guys are EEs, 90% of the folks on this site couldn't get into the heavy science of A/V. Fortunately this hobby is comprised of many facets, first and foremost the people, followed by gear and lastly technical issues that most of us wouldn't be able to digest, so Sheep is right, in a sense albeit theoretically, but a first grader coming to Einstein for knowledge will be overwhelmed, you first start at the bottom and work your way up, as for the humor, oh well it's what makes this place interesting. Does this diminish the hobby in any way?:)
Exactly. The thing about AH that I find worthwhile is the fact that for the most part (and unlike many internet forums of varying interests), is there is a degree of intelligence amongst all the members, and some of the discussions that get going here can be very compelling. Of course, with that said, not every member is a degreed engineer, and aside from the range of educational articles that can accessed from the home page, one can come to the forum and discuss what works in real life with those who have come by knowledge and experience in their own respective ways. Topics can get as deep as one wishes, it's up to the OP to ask the right types of questions.

Not one of the regular members who come here are getting paid to offer their advice, but everyone for the most part does so willingly to maintain a sense of community and spirit in terms of promoting a more educated, knowledgeable group of A/V hobbyists and those who are just getting into it. That's what makes this a passion for many, and it is fun to help out those who are willing to learn, as long as we remember there is always someone who knows more than us (on the other end), so we learn as we teach. This keeps knowledge flowing in both directions, all the time. It makes the hobby better for all.

It's not a race to see who can get the most green dots on their name, and if this is anyone's goal, then they've picked the wrong hobby. Find another one to spoil.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Answering even the simplest of questions will get a lot of "thanks" from the audio newbs (no offense to audio newbs). If you are first on the spot to answer it and be genuinely helpful you will get kudos for doing that. Only answering questions and helping those that are asking the really in depth questions about electrical engineering or some such thing and being rude or dismissing those audio newbs (again, no offense) with simple questions that are understandable in the same breath, sure, you won't be viewed as the most helpful guy around. Could you imagine a mechanic that wouldn't change your brakes because it was just too simple a job?;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis