Don't fall for the BD Hype

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Really? Well riddle me this one Batman: Do all BD movies play on all BD players? :p
Just out of curiosity, do you know what movies don't play on what players?

I know some have had issues due to outdated firmware (mine included), but that's no shock considering how new these formats are... -TD

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Just out of curiosity, do you know what movies don't play on what players?

I know some have had issues due to outdated firmware (mine included), but that's no shock considering how new these formats are... -TD
Well, yeah. None. It's a nonexistent problem with HD. And I disagree that that's "no shock." It's an incredible shock, to me, as a consumer. HD has been around longer than BD, and the "outdated firmware" you speak of does not prevent any HD player playing any HD disc. None. Wouldn't you be upset if 5 years ago you modded your high end Denon, only to have them tell: That's it. Keep what you have, cuz no new movies for you. That player will not play and new DVD's. Outrage.

The problem is a purely BD thing, and whether I spent $100 on a player, or $1,100, I would be justifiably outraged. Perhaps this would be more upsetting to you if you bought the PS3 (the cause of the lawsuit) with the promise of it being a BD player, only to learn it is now obsolete for upcoming movies...it only plays past ones. :mad:

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Just a quick peek, are we still beating the crap out of this horse?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
2. Got the Terminator-3 BD: I bought the DVD waaaaay back when I was still buying "Fools Screen" versions....and the old "FS" version is totally unwatchable now.
back when I had a CRT tv and NO IDEA that widescreen tv's were gonna come out ... I kept buying WS DVD's. I mean, at the time I really really made myself suffer watching tiny letterbox movies (on my 29" screen) just because I thought that the widescreen versions were "true" to the movie. I guess that paid off now :)

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Holy crap John, for someone that was just posting an article for edification, you sure are on high horse about HD-DVD. So much in fact, you misinterpreted my question. The question was "Just out of curiosity, do you know what movies don't play on what players?", this was in reference to your earlier post:
Really? Well riddle me this one Batman: Do all BD movies play on all BD players? :p
I honestly wanted to know what BD movies don't play on what BD players, I said nothing about HD-DVD players having this issue. Take a step back and breathe for a second. I was looking for some particular information from you, not trying to flame any fires.... sheesh.

How is it you disagree that it's "no shock"? Are you that far removed from the initial days of the DVD format itself? Half the players that came out the first year had trouble playing half the movies, couldn't read CDs properly, all kinds of issues.

Can you explain what you're talking about w/the BD-PS3 obsolescence? Are you saying future BDs won't be watchable on the PS3? I haven't seen that article anywhere, but if know where it is, I'd be interested in reading it... -TD

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Holy crap John, for someone that was just posting an article for edification, you sure are on high horse about HD-DVD. So much in fact, you misinterpreted my question. The question was "Just out of curiosity, do you know what movies don't play on what players?", this was in reference to your earlier post:

I honestly wanted to know what BD movies don't play on what BD players, I said nothing about HD-DVD players having this issue. Take a step back and breathe for a second. I was looking for some particular information from you, not trying to flame any fires.... sheesh.

How is it you disagree that it's "no shock"? Are you that far removed from the initial days of the DVD format itself? Half the players that came out the first year had trouble playing half the movies, couldn't read CDs properly, all kinds of issues.

Can you explain what you're talking about w/the BD-PS3 obsolescence? Are you saying future BDs won't be watchable on the PS3? I haven't seen that article anywhere, but if know where it is, I'd be interested in reading it... -TD
High Horse? Why are you misrepresenting that quote as an answer to one of your questions? Perhaps it's an honest mistake, and you think that reply is directed at you. It is not, so perhaps you want to recheck your reading.

That was a not so subtle response to Darien, and I squared it away...if you read the entire post, you'd understand the context. High horse? No. I am not an HD fanboy, and I don't want to see BD fail. What's funny is the BD advocates here in denial, well, one in particular. The facts are all there...BD has a world of issues that HD never had, and I take no joy in that. Btw, do you have 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0?

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan

"You know what your problem is? Nobody's ever given you the Aunt Jemima treatment."

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
"You know what your problem is? Nobody's ever given you the Aunt Jemima treatment."
I dunno, I feel like I was just flapjacked... :D -TD

Damn, can't believe I didn't pick up on that quote! Shame on me... :eek:

Last edited:
darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I dunno, I feel like I was just flapjacked... :D -TD

Damn, can't believe I didn't pick up on that quote! Shame on me... :eek:)
Come on man, you're the one with the Stripes avatar. :D

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
I wasn't misrepresenting a quote as an answer to one of my questions, was flat out asking the question "what BD movies don't play on what BD players" as you made mention of that a few posts back, that's all. I've read every post in this thread (sadly, I might add.. :confused:), but I think the confusion is between what I was asking you and what you interpreted my question as.

The "high horse" comment was in response to your 'yeah, so there!' reply that HD-DVD didn't have this issue. All I was trying to do is ascertain the information that you eluded to, that's all.

As for my player, it's first gen, so I believe it's 1.0. I had some playback issues that were resolved w/firmware updates, so on the whole, relatively problem-free w/the movies I've purchased and rented from Netflix... -TD

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

BD Hype?

Saying that BD 1.0 players are obsolete is completely incorrect. I happen to own one, which has no problem playing any BD movie. The only problem I have with this player is that it is insanely slow. My second BD player which is a PS3 has no problems what so ever playing any movie I throw at it. Which is quite a few (thanks to netflix). Have you ever looked at the game list for the PS3? Its pretty anemic at best, so to say people are buying it to play games only isn't completely accurate.

I recently bought a new receiver which decodes all the lossless audio formats. Neither of my current players could decode DTS-MA or send it out via bitstream. So I purchased the Panasonic player so it could send the audio out via bitstream. (Which I must say the Panasonic is a racehorse in comparison when loading movies.) Last time I looked only one of the Toshiba players could actually output bitstream for external decoding. As a matter of fact it seems as if it is a moot point... Most movies I have watched on HD DVD are only Dolby Digital Plus. Or if they are DTS-MA the Toshiba players only send out the DTS core signal either decoded or via Bitstream.

Lets now discuss video output. How many HD DVD players can output 1080p? Last time I checked EVERY BD player does this. HD DVD reserves this feature for their "top o' the line" players, which until recently was the same price as most BD players.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that both formats were effectively rushed out of the gates lacking features. Something us early adopters have learned to live with. But to say HD DVD was complete when released is not totally true. Its just easy to over look its flaws when trying to argue a point. As far as firmware updates go, I've also read that the A35 must do so out of the box, which is not so different than BD players.. Which most have to have an update due to changes in HDCP used by the Movie Studios.

For the record, I started out on the HD DVD bandwagon, however it did not take long for me to go Blu. For my tastes BD had much more to offer when it came to movie selection.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
Don't worry HD DVD lovers. Toshiba will eventually fins some new stat that will have HD DVD on top again giving you continued false hope of it's future. :D

It doesn't matter what the numbers show for software sold per unit sold. It matters which has the most out there on a continued basis. Not per unit or whatever crap they come up with next. 3 to 1 is not good for HD DVD so they turn around numbers in a retarded way to try and come out on top since they are not in real numbers. Sure many people buy a PS3 for just gaming, but many buy it for movies....such as myself. I have bought 6 movies in a month and 1 game on ebay which will be sold on ebay when I finish it in a week or 2 of playing. It won't hit the numbers since it's purchased used and sold used. I'm 90% movies/muisc with my PS3.

Movies sold per unit sold is also bad to have since it means your hardware sales could be dropping while people who have previously bought the hardware are still pissing...I mean supporting their chosen format. So it's a stat you shouldn't even want. Blu ray has many many more movie sales and many more hardware sales making it good to have a lower number on this stat. HD DVD has lost, but it was a good thing for HDTV overall since hardware prices were forced down making it possible for many to have, but enough is enough. The winner has been chosen so let's move on.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Saying that BD 1.0 players are obsolete is completely incorrect.
I don't know who wrote that. I did write that the millions of PS3 owners that bought their players for movies are now limited in their playback of movies, and will continue to be with new releases...unless they lose the lawsuit.

I recently bought a new receiver which decodes all the lossless audio formats. Neither of my current players could decode DTS-MA or send it out via bitstream. So I purchased the Panasonic player so it could send the audio out via bitstream. (Which I must say the Panasonic is a racehorse in comparison when loading movies.) Last time I looked only one of the Toshiba players could actually output bitstream for external decoding. As a matter of fact it seems as if it is a moot point... Most movies I have watched on HD DVD are only Dolby Digital Plus. Or if they are DTS-MA the Toshiba players only send out the DTS core signal either decoded or via Bitstream.
This may be all fine and true, but that's only looking forward. What about those of us without HDMI? Do we have to scrap our receivers to get DD+ and True? Not with HD. HD passes DD+ and True via analog. There is no BD player that passes DD+ and True via analog. I hate conspicuous consumption and the throw away mentality. HD was, and is at the forefront allowing passthrough via analog. That makes them consumer conscious.

Lets now discuss video output. How many HD DVD players can output 1080p? Last time I checked EVERY BD player does this. HD DVD reserves this feature for their "top o' the line" players, which until recently was the same price as most BD players.
Well, the flagship A35 does it, and it is selling for a paltry $224.00 The XA2 has also done it for years, and those can be had refurbed for about $250.00

I guess the point I am trying to make is that both formats were effectively rushed out of the gates lacking features.
Perhaps.

As far as firmware updates go, I've also read that the A35 must do so out of the box, which is not so different than BD players.. Which most have to have an update due to changes in HDCP used by the Movie Studios.
I don't know what you're implying, but I've read many buyers getting the A35 with 1.3 fw installed (out of the box), and it works flawlessly.

For the record, I started out on the HD DVD bandwagon, however it did not take long for me to go Blu. For my tastes BD had much more to offer when it came to movie selection.
And so it goes. I've heard HD saying the converse. Perhaps real fanatics need the best of both worlds. ;)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
This may be all fine and true, but that's only looking forward. What about those of us without HDMI? Do we have to scrap our receivers to get DD+ and True? Not with HD. HD passes DD+ and True via analog. There is no BD player that passes DD+ and True via analog. I hate conspicuous consumption and the throw away mentality. HD was, and is at the forefront allowing passthrough via analog. That makes them consumer conscious.
What on Earth are you talking about?

No HD player passes DD+ and TrueHD undecoded through analog. For someone posting on a site like this, you should know better.

Several HD DVD and Blu-ray disc players pass TrueHD through analog after decoding and going through DAC's.

The Pioneer 94 and 95, the Samsung BD-P1200, BD-P1400, the Panasonic DMP-BD10, the Sony BDP-S1 and BDP-S500, the Sharp BD-H20U, they all decode TrueHD and pass out losslessly through analog.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis