Audioholics, weigh in.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
No, I don't want to know how fat your are, I want your opinion.

I ride my bike 2 times a week to work if the weather is nice because it's good exercise, and I get to ride down a really steep hill and go faster then cars. Riding is also a hobby of mine. I've been riding my entire life, and fairly seriously for the last 8 years. I've never had any head injuries, nor anything worse then sprained ankle.

On my way to work yesterday, I came upon 2 police officers with bicycles (biker cops). They were pretty much blocking the entire crosswalk and right on my route to work. I proceeded slowly and I was told to stop 15 feet from them and then told to walk up to them. He ask me why I was stopped, and I answered "Because I'm not wearing a helmet?" to which it replied "correct".

He then asked for my drivers license and went on the radio calling for information or something stupid. I though they were just going to check my record (which is clean btw) or were looking for a possible stolen bike. Turns out, I was receiving a ticket. A ticket for not wearing a helmet.

While the fat cop (1 was fat.. must've been his first day) was on the radio, the other explained to me how bikes fall under the motor vehicle act and began listing laws that I had broke.

1.) No helmet.
2.) Riding on the sidewalk (to which I pointed out they were too, and also blocking it).

He then asked where I was going (work) and when I got off (around 7, was 1:15 when I got the ticket). He was going for a riding in the dark without a light violation, but it is still light out when I leave work.

I was almost speechless. They claimed this was for my safety and how a car could strike me at any time. Right, monitor the people on the sidewalk and give them tickets, while cars speed past barely staying in their lanes (we have bad drivers). I also noted that my bike is not built for speed, and I only have 8 gears, all of which are close ratio, and small. He said that riding on the sidewalk is fine on busy streets, and I only ride busy streets to work.

At the end of the day, I had a ticket for 30 bucks for not wearing a helmet on a vehicle that isn't registered or licensed in anyway. 30 bucks that could've bought me a new helmet, preferably with spikes, so I get another ticket for having a dangerous helmet, and how I would have to remove it.

**** biker cops. Half of me wanted to turn around and have a chase, to see if they could actually hold their own (which they couldn't btw).

What do you think about my Countries *** backwards policies?

SheepStar

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
1. We do not require helmets for even motorcycles in my state. I never wear one unless it's cold out (I've been riding for 27 years. I've even driven in the snow). Let us not delve into the wisdom (or lack thereof...I know...I know) of either of those latter two points.
2. You obviously just look like a criminal (at least in Canada), and that's why you got stopped.

But at the end of the day, I'm sure Canada has fewer bicycle (and motorcycle) fatalities and serious injuries than the US does. You'll see the wisdom of it when you get older...trust me.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Moosehead. Problem solved. (In Arizona it would be a 12 of Corona with a couple of sliced limes.)

Stupid laws. As always, the cops were probably breaking the laws to "protect you".

Nothing infuriates me more as a driver than watching police officers change lanes without signaling before...That's something I can get pulled over for but they feel they don't need to follow!

-pat

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I know in my state you need to pay some kind of retarted registration fee when you buy a new bike. Its all just a bunch of BS.

Let people live their own lives and stop trying to protect them from themselves.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Cops not following the rules themselves is nothing new but you should wear a helmet anyway - even if it is not the law. It's just good common sense and it may just save you a lot of trouble someday.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Cops not following the rules themselves is nothing new but you should wear a helmet anyway - even if it is not the law. It's just good common sense and it may just save you a lot of trouble someday.
More than just a little trouble. My girlfriend wouldn't be alive today if she hadn't been wearing her helmet during a ride one day. Got knocked off and ended up with a rock that was stuck in her helmet, had the helmet not been there it would have been in her skull, right above the brain stem.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Come on Sheep, you live in Canada, where big brother tells you what you can't do:D. Don't they give tickets to cars with "non-stock" mufflers? Or if your car looks "racy" don't they stop to see if you've got nitrous?;) Helmets are good for you in all honesty, but what irks me is this: you're forced to wear seatbelts in a car then there are dolts out there than can get away without wearing helmets on a motorcycle, where's the justice? I'm all for helmets.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I wasn't going to say it outright and sound preachy but I have experience with it too. I was mountain biking and the front wheel got caught in a groove and I didn't make it over the tiny little bridge across the creek.

Ended up doing an endo and headed face down towards a giant rock. I can tell you that there is an instance just before impact when your brain tells you that you are not going to get out of this and better do whatever you can. I turned my head so that I would plant the helmet flat on the rock instead of my forehead. The result - compression fracture of T7 and T8 which is a whole lot better than crushing your skull.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I wasn't going to say it outright and sound preachy but I have experience with it too. I was mountain biking and the front wheel got caught in a groove and I didn't make it over the tiny little bridge across the creek.

Ended up doing an endo and headed face down towards a giant rock. I can tell you that there is an instance just before impact when your brain tells you that you are not going to get out of this and better do whatever you can. I turned my head so that I would plant the helmet flat on the rock instead of my forehead. The result - compression fracture of T7 and T8 which is a whole lot better than crushing your skull.
Great reason to wear a helmet.

D

Dolby CP-200

Banned
Don’t, burn yourself out, and always remember to drink liquid to prevent dehydration.:)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep fighting for individual rights? Next thing you know you'll be a reactionary conservative wanting to live in Texas. ;)

In this god-foresaken, capitalistic jungle of a country to the south of your lovely, universal-medicine Province, Sheep, there is a little town in Oregon where I live. The PD solicits donations in order to buy helmets for anyone who rides bikes and doesn't have one. Yes, they give them away. Right here in America. I guess we do one or two things right down here, eh?

Oh yeah, they'll usually give you a warning first about not wearing one...which is a good thing to do, no matter how you slice it.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
If I was going to fall and hit my head, it would have happened already. I have better balance on my bike them most people have on their feet. So really, I should be telling you to wear one walking around. When I was learning to ride I had a helmet, and when I ride intensely, I wear my helmet, when I'm riding to work and getting exercise (the ride home is all up hill, so I'm not going that fast) I would rather keep my head cool, and not throw my balance off with a stupid helmet.

Protecting me? From what? Shitty drivers? Why not take those two cops, stick them in a squad car, and have them pull over and ticket the people causing the harm. Think about that. In a perfect world, there would be no need for helmets, or seat belts, because no one would drive like a dolt.

If you consider that a ticket for riding on the sidewalk is over 100 dollars, you can clearly see it's a cheap money grab.

SheepStar

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Sheep fighting for individual rights? Next thing you know you'll be a reactionary conservative wanting to live in Texas. ;)

In this god-foresaken, capitalistic jungle of a country to the south of your lovely, universal-medicine Province, Sheep, there is a little town in Oregon where I live. The PD solicits donations in order to buy helmets for anyone who rides bikes and doesn't have one. Yes, they give them away. Right here in America. I guess we do one or two things right down here, eh?

Oh yeah, they'll usually give you a warning first about not wearing one...which is a good thing to do, no matter how you slice it.
Please leave politics out of my thread. I don't want to see the words liberal, conservative, or any alteration of the two.

SheepStar

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
If I was going to fall and hit my head, it would have happened already. I have better balance on my bike them most people have on their feet. So really, I should be telling you to wear one walking around.
Accidents happen out of nowhere. That kind of attitude is not healthy and to be honest that is the dumbest statement I've seen in awhile.

How about the dozens of news reports over the years where a guy riding a bike or motorcyle crosses a driveway and the driver doesn't see him and the biker T-bones the car, goes flying over the handle bars and breaks his neck? Nah, you are super skilled and will never be put in harms way by someone else, right?

A $30 ticket may just save your life if it changes your attitude. Unfortunately many people only learn the hard way and I hope you don't have an experience that suddenly does change your attitude - after it's too late. Just think about it.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Please leave politics out of my thread. I don't want to see the words liberal, conservative, or any alteration of the two.

SheepStar
Well, Sheep, it seems you're the one starting the political thread discussing what you consider to be unfair laws. And you did say you wanted our opinions.

But I guess you only want to hear what you want to hear. Have at it.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
If you consider that a ticket for riding on the sidewalk is over 100 dollars, you can clearly see it's a cheap money grab.SheepStar
That sucks sheep.

Unfortunately most laws that we can be fined or ticketed for violating are as you say a cheap money grab,public safety has nothing to do with it either,helmet laws,seat belt laws,tinted window laws ect are all a bunch of BS designed to milk all our wallets.

Its hard to respect a law that steals $100 from a person that is hurting nobody.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Accidents happen out of nowhere. That kind of attitude is not healthy and to be honest that is the dumbest statement I've seen in awhile.
That's your opinion. I don't know what riding experience you have, but it's not difficult nor impossible to be just as steady on a bike as you are on your feet. There are things you can do on a bike, that you can't by foot.

How about the dozens of news reports over the years where a guy riding a bike or motorcyle crosses a driveway and the driver doesn't see him and the biker T-bones the car, goes flying over the handle bars and breaks his neck? Nah, you are super skilled and will never be put in harms way by someone else, right?
I would be paying attention to see if a car is coming OUT of the driveway. These are things I was taught in a biking club I joined in middle school (grade 6-8). I also learned them again when I took driving lessons. Seriously, how can you not do these things? Accidents take 2 parts. BOTH people need to be paying attention to what is going on around them.

A $30 ticket may just save your life if it changes your attitude. Unfortunately many people only learn the hard way and I hope you don't have an experience that suddenly does change your attitude - after it's too late. Just think about it.
When I do serious riding on a trail, I wear my helmet. That is the only place where I can loose control and not know what is going to happen. A root could break, or the path could be very slippery. There is no reason why I should be in immediate danger on a sidewalk unless someone is driving a car when they clearly are incapable of doing so. Which begs the question, why are they driving in the first place? Technically, I should be safe, according to laws and regulations in place to keep idiot drivers off the road. There is no police for keeping bike paths safe, and everyone that rides, knows full well what risks lay ahead of them.

Well, Sheep, it seems you're the one starting the political thread discussing what you consider to be unfair laws. And you did say you wanted our opinions.
I was asking whether people agree with the helmet law. No where does it state anything about political parties. Go to buckeye nuts thread if you want to do that, thanks.

This thread is fun, good conversation going. :) I just hope no one is taking it personally.

SheepStar

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Ok then if the main point is whether or not one agrees with helmet laws, I will say unequivocally YES. Same goes for seat belt laws.

Accidents take 2 parts. BOTH people need to be paying attention to what is going on around them.
And that is not always the case now is it? Even if YOU are paying attention doesn't mean you will always be able to avoid trouble. I was paying attention and was unable to avoid my accident. Someday you too may be unlucky although I certainly wouldn't wish any harm on you or anybody else for that matter.

I highly doubt you are as skilled as Olympic bikers. I don't know the name of it but am thinking of the event where there are only two riders on an INDOOR banked track with no other distractions and BOTH of the riders wear helmets. Lance Armstrong and guys that participate in the Tour de France and similar events through steep mountains and twisting roads with no guardrails also wear helmets. Perhaps they know something you do not?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ok then if the main point is whether or not one agrees with helmet laws, I will say unequivocally YES. Same goes for seat belt laws.

And that is not always the case now is it? Even if YOU are paying attention doesn't mean you will always be able to avoid trouble. I was paying attention and was unable to avoid my accident. Someday you too may be unlucky although I certainly wouldn't wish any harm on you or anybody else for that matter.
There isn't really a way to explain this, as you clearly aren't willing to see it from my point of view. Take a drivers ed. class. See what they say. The one I took a few years back. It was not some private training facility, it was created in line with government standards for our roads. They taught me everything I know about driving, and same goes when you're riding on the streets. I didn't learn anything from my family, as they're not good drivers themselves.

I highly doubt you are as skilled as Olympic bikers. I don't know the name of it but am thinking of the event where there are only two riders on an INDOOR banked track with no other distractions and BOTH of the riders wear helmets. Lance Armstrong and guys that participate in the Tour de France and similar events through steep mountains and twisting roads with no guardrails also wear helmets. Perhaps they know something you do not?
My bike has 8 close ratio gears, it doesn't go nearly as fast as those bikes. When I'm riding to work (which is roughly a 3km ride) I don't need a helmet. When I ride doing tricks or hitting up a trail (which I don't do much anymore) I wear my helmet. Just to let you know what trials riding is, here's a video.

Note: I'm no where NEAR that good. I can only pedal kick up a curb, not a wall like them. When I do this, I wear a helmet. Plus I never attempt anything that significant.

SheepStar

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis