Question about Klipsch subwoofers

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Just a RCA subwoofer cable. Monoprice, Amazon and Blue jeans cables all carry those cables. They are standard. You do realize Audioholics principal speaker reviewer, James Larsan=@shadyj, is recommending the Monoprice over the less capable klipsch? So why would you sill purchase the inferior Klipsch?
Because I like inferior products, clearly.

Serious answer to my thinking:
Klipsch is a known quantity to me and I trust the brand. I also like the construction/build quality of Klipsch as well as the aesthetics over the monoprice. The cerametallic cone looks like it would be extremely durable, whereas the monoprice seems to be made of more of that paper-y material. I had some subs in my car in high school made of that and they started splitting in the middle around the seam where the middle portion was glued? To the surrounding cone. So that is an area of concern. The klipsch looks better in this regard.

I have never had any monoprice equipment so I am unfamiliar.

Would I be disappointed in the Klipsch? Who’s to say except me after choosing it. Seems that many end users (not audiophiles) seem to like Klipsch enough for them to be very highly rated on Amazon, Crutchfield, etc). So it must be doing something right. I’m sure if I heard a side by side comparison in person I would hear a difference, but in the end for my ears it may not seem to be a huge difference. But maybe it would be. I just have no way to know.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Follow ups: I watched a review of the sw-15 and they said when the sub is pushed below 30hz is has a pretty bad “chuffing noise”? I assume the same for the sw-12? What do I need to know about this?
Also, I haven’t heard much in regard to how either of these subs is with music, which is my main need. I only hear about home theater and movies. So if you only account for music reproduction, is the monoprice still way better? The monoprice seems to go down to 30 hz and the Klipsch says 29 hz. Is this just marketing speak to ignore?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Because I like inferior products, clearly.

Serious answer to my thinking:
Klipsch is a known quantity to me and I trust the brand. I also like the construction/build quality of Klipsch as well as the aesthetics over the monoprice. The cerametallic cone looks like it would be extremely durable, whereas the monoprice seems to be made of more of that paper-y material. I had some subs in my car in high school made of that and they started splitting in the middle around the seam where the middle portion was glued? To the surrounding cone. So that is an area of concern. The klipsch looks better in this regard.

I have never had any monoprice equipment so I am unfamiliar.

Would I be disappointed in the Klipsch? Who’s to say except me after choosing it. Seems that many end users (not audiophiles) seem to like Klipsch enough for them to be very highly rated on Amazon, Crutchfield, etc). So it must be doing something right. I’m sure if I heard a side by side comparison in person I would hear a difference, but in the end for my ears it may not seem to be a huge difference. But maybe it would be. I just have no way to know.
Just listen to James Larson...there is no magic to making a subwoofer.
Quality parts in a quality cabinet is what is important.
Klipsch products have an incredibly high retail markup...Monoprice is giving you more actual sub for your money.
Klipsch could sell that sub for 150 and not lose money.

At your price point, your choices are extremely limited. Your best bet is spend 200 more for a Speedwoofer, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Just listen to James Larson...there is no magic to making a subwoofer.
Quality parts in a quality cabinet is what is important.
Klipsch products have an incredibly high retail markup...Monoprice is giving you more actual sub for your money.
Klipsch could sell that sub for 150 and not lose money.

At your price point, your choices are extremely limited. Your best bet is spend 200 more for a Speedwoofer, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.
That makes a lot of sense. I wish I could up the budget to $1000, but since I am limited in that regard I definitely feel how the affects my options.

I appreciate you all taking the time to try to educate me. Based on all the recommendations and discussion it seems like the monoprice is the way to go.

I’ll let you know how it goes. We are about to head out of town on a long spring break trip so I’ll get my plan in motion once we get back.

Thanks again!
DJ

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I think Klipsch subwoofers are competitive and above board. Read some independent reviews.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Hi again. Of all the forums you could have chosen you picked the best to ask about subwoofers. The reason I say that is audioholics and its James Larsan (@shadyJ) is the single reviewer who has a history of reviewing all brands of subwoofers using ground plane CEA-2010 methods. It requires considerable effort using a special mike outdoors (no reflections or room modes) to generated standard comparable SPL numbers at different low frequencies to test how well a sub performs and how much distortion is generated. The higher the SPL numbers per frequency with the lowest distortion wins.

No other forum has a professional reviewer on staff and I was pleased Shadyj chimed in with advice and a recommendation for you. If you asked another forum you would have received random recommendations based on what that forum member had purchased themselves. (Hence why crutchfield/amazon owners give good ratings to ”their” decisions.)

As mentioned above in post #23 your price point is low. Retail brands like Klipsch (& SVS) have a national dealer network which means that Klipsch, a separate distributor & a separate dealer each must make a profit (profit x 3). Whereas an Internet Direct brand (Monoprice, JTR, PSA, etc) serves to cut out a distributor and a dealer from the need for profits so they can offer more sub for much less money.

We as customers cannot hear/compare anywhere near the amount of speakers and subwoofers that a professional reviewer can. They review hundreds in their position. What makes Shadyj different from other youtube sub reviewers is he is the gold standard for ground plane derived CEA-2010 comparison numbers. The youtube reviewers do not deliver reviews with CEA-2010 numbers. So we rely on Shadyj’s reviews because they are backed by measurements and he has no owner confirmation bias.

So, in summary, you got the best advice from the best person with no brand bias. I’d say that was a win. Good luck and hope you enjoy what ever you decide.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Using my Klipsch sub (the RW12d I mentioned earlier) as an example, it's box is not particularly well built/braced and has crap plastic feet. The cerametallic cone isn't particularly special, especially behind a grill when you can't see it :), altho it is shiny. Paper/pulp cones have been used successfully by many for a long time.

Have you reconsidered finding something used in your area instead?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think Klipsch subwoofers are competitive and above board. Read some independent reviews.
The only “competitive” Klipsch subs are the new RP series.

The real problem is the tight budget.
BIC used to be recommended in the budget range as did Dayton. For music, I think most of these will be more similar than different, and that’s what he’s mainly after.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General

BIC used to be recommended in the budget range as did Dayton. For music, I think most of these will be more similar than different, and that’s what he’s mainly after.
I personally would stay away from BIC USA. I had two prior to my single HSU and one was clicking super bad at decent, but not super loud volume. I took the driver out, checked the feet, etc. I think I eventually traded drivers and determined it was a bad motor.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Another noob cable question, so on the back of my receiver I only have the single subwoofer pre-out connector, but the sub itself has both the red and white rca connections. Will I need a cable that splits out into two connectors that both plug into the red and white connectors?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Another noob cable question, so on the back of my receiver I only have the single subwoofer pre-out connector, but the sub itself has both the red and white rca connections. Will I need a cable that splits out into two connectors that both plug into the red and white connectors?
One will likely say LFE. Use that single one. Otherwise, you can certainly get a splitter.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic

To make sure I understand your point, are you saying that given my low budget, and that I prioritize music over home theater/movies, that the monoprice and klipsch will perform similarly?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The sub pre-out on your avr is mono....the L/R inputs on the sub are more for gear that doesn't have a dedicated sub pre-out and only full range pre-outs so the sub can sum to mono. Some subs may benefit from using both L/R inputs with a splitter, tho, due to a slight gain advantage up front.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
The sub pre-out on your avr is mono....the L/R inputs on the sub are more for gear that doesn't have a dedicated sub pre-out and only full range pre-outs so the sub can sum to mono. Some subs may benefit from using both L/R inputs with a splitter, tho, due to a slight gain advantage up front.
So basically test both ways to see?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not likely an issue, I'd just use the mono/LFE input on the sub and dial the lpf to max just in case it doesn't bypass such.....the advantage of the dual input more relates to output level of the 819 vs your sub amp's input sensitivity. I never had pre-out level issues with several subs with the 819....ymmv.

ps Do you think you are not getting sufficient signal level on the sub? Perhaps issues with auto-on circuit? That's when I might use the L/R inputs.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Not likely an issue, I'd just use the mono/LFE input on the sub and dial the lpf to max just in case it doesn't bypass such.....the advantage of the dual input more relates to output level of the 819 vs your sub amp's input sensitivity. I never had pre-out level issues with several subs with the 819....ymmv.

ps Do you think you are not getting sufficient signal level on the sub? Perhaps issues with auto-on circuit? That's when I might use the L/R inputs.
I don’t own this sub yet. I own the receiver and some bookshelves, and this thread is about subwoofer recommendations. I just was unsure of how to hook it up after I buy it and wanted clarification

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
To make sure I understand your point, are you saying that given my low budget, and that I prioritize music over home theater/movies, that the monoprice and klipsch will perform similarly?
IMO yes. Neither of them dig very deep, and unless you’re into electric music or organ music, any extra extension from one or the other won’t do much. OTOH, I’m fortunate to have extension to at least 14hz. It’s great for movies, and some music that digs really deep. It also gives a “weight” to music that doesn’t have any fundamental notes that are super low. As you’ve admitted to being a noob, you don’t know what you don’t know. So yes, imo they’ll be more the same than not. Could you notice? Maybe. But since you’re only buying one, you’ll never know! lol at least you’re asking first.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The main advantage of a splitter is it raises the input sensitivity of the amp. It won’t change the output capability. Can be helpful with low AVR output voltage, or subs that are set too low in the AVR and won’t wake up unless the volume is turned up.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I personally would stay away from BIC USA. I had two prior to my single HSU and one was clicking super bad at decent, but not super loud volume. I took the driver out, checked the feet, etc. I think I eventually traded drivers and determined it was a bad motor.
Yeah I guess that’s a good point about BIC. In the entry level category they perform well and better on paper. But yeah, longevity is questionable. I think the entry level category as a stop gap since most people end up addicted to bass and follow the rabbit hole down lol.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis