It's turned into an addiction

H

harleydave

Audioholic Intern
Since buying my setup within the last couple months I've become obsessed with getting the best sound I can. I built a rack so the center would be ear level, and built speaker stands. I've done the subwoofer crawl. I've built and am currently building acoustic panels. I ordered a mic to learn how to do REW. I'm having fun, and it's keeping me out of trouble. My wife is happy because as she said, " This is way cheaper than the money you've spent on your Harley". Apparently she hasn't stumbled across my Crutchfield wish list
;)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My wife is happy because as she said, " This is way cheaper than the money you've spent on your Harley".
;)
She has no idea......

Must be cheaper than her shoes, though. I call one of my cousins 'Imelda' because of her shoe collection, after Imelda Marcos.

H

harleydave

Audioholic Intern
She has no idea......

Must be cheaper than her shoes, though. I call one of my cousins 'Imelda' because of her shoe collection, after Imelda Marcos.
My wife's photography equipment is about twice what I've spent so far on audio. However, the day is not over!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
she hasn't stumbled across my Crutchfield wish list
Laughing.

Just remember, more expensive equipment doesn't necessarily equate to better sound.

It seems like you are on a good path currently with learning how to use REW to maximize your experience.

If I may suggest, perhaps read up on Acoustics, some. You don't have to become an expert, but books like the Master Handbook On Acoustics and Toole's Sound Reproduction can help you understand a lot more about what might be going on in your room and in your head, and help you make better choices about how you tackle room treatments, set up and future equipment purchases so that you aren't chasing the wrong path like a cat after the laser. :)

What is your current setup? (Speakers, sources, receiver...?, if you don't mind sharing... )

H

harleydave

Audioholic Intern
Laughing.

Just remember, more expensive equipment doesn't necessarily equate to better sound.

It seems like you are on a good path currently with learning how to use REW to maximize your experience.

If I may suggest, perhaps read up on Acoustics, some. You don't have to become an expert, but books like the Master Handbook On Acoustics and Toole's Sound Reproduction can help you understand a lot more about what might be going on in your room and in your head, and help you make better choices about how you tackle room treatments, set up and future equipment purchases so that you aren't chasing the wrong path like a cat after the laser. :)

What is your current setup? (Speakers, sources, receiver...?, if you don't mind sharing... )
Thanks for the info. I so wish I could figure out what's going on in my head on a daily basis lol. I know probably most of my problem is the room itself.
room1.jpg

Current Equipment:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2A AVR
All Klipsch Speakers:
RP-600mii Front L/R
RP-504cii Center
RP-402s Rear Surrounds
R-121sw Sub

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
She has no idea......

Yes, my GF is Philippina and has a lot of shoes.... I call her Imelda all the time.

My audio setup is king of in the plug and forget place now. I haven't had a need, or strong enough desire, to upgrade anything recently. Except an 85" tv which I dragged her around to go look at before purchasing.

What she does give me a hard time about is my coffee (espresso) obsession.:D

highfigh

highfigh

Yes, my GF is Philippina and has a lot of shoes.... I call her Imelda all the time.

My audio setup is king of in the plug and forget place now. I haven't had a need, or strong enough desire, to upgrade anything recently. Except an 85" tv which I dragged her around to go look at before purchasing.

What she does give me a hard time about is my coffee (espresso) obsession.:D
Maybe you could tell her that you have switched to expresso.o_O

highfigh

highfigh

My wife's photography equipment is about twice what I've spent so far on audio. However, the day is not over!
So, some nice long Image Stabilized lenses?

What format, all digital, or film, as well?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for the info. I so wish I could figure out what's going on in my head on a daily basis lol. I know probably most of my problem is the room itself.View attachment 65195
Current Equipment:
Yamaha Aventage RX-A2A AVR
All Klipsch Speakers:
RP-600mii Front L/R
RP-504cii Center
RP-402s Rear Surrounds
R-121sw Sub
Yes, the room is a problem, but that is probably something you have to live with. The biggest issue is that the speakers are against the long axis and firing across the short axis, which is the exact opposite of ideal. I suspect you have to live with that.

I note you have been building acoustic treatments. You need to be careful with these as it is easily overdone.
Room treatments are more than anything a treatment for speakers where the off axis response poorly matches the axis response. This is a common speaker fault. Speakers that have a good off axis response will not need any treatment in most rooms. Room reflections are actually important for good reproduction.

I don't have any room treatments beyond the dimensions and layout of the room.

I note you like building things. You sound the ideal individual to take up speaker building. I have never had a manufactured speaker in my systems. So I have never been speaker shopping.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Dave, good luck on your AV journey ! As for your Harley, thought I'd share a pic of my '58 'Pan', long gone but not forgotten !

1958 Panhed.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wait until she sees the upgrade path for subwoofers!

H

harleydave

Audioholic Intern
Dave, good luck on your AV journey ! As for your Harley, thought I'd share a pic of my '58 'Pan', long gone but not forgotten !

View attachment 65212
Yes, the room is a problem, but that is probably something you have to live with. The biggest issue is that the speakers are against the long axis and firing across the short axis, which is the exact opposite of ideal. I suspect you have to live with that.

I note you have been building acoustic treatments. You need to be careful with these as it is easily overdone.
Room treatments are more than anything a treatment for speakers where the off axis response poorly matches the axis response. This is a common speaker fault. Speakers that have a good off axis response will not need any treatment in most rooms. Room reflections are actually important for good reproduction.

I don't have any room treatments beyond the dimensions and layout of the room.

I note you like building things. You sound the ideal individual to take up speaker building. I have never had a manufactured speaker in my systems. So I have never been speaker shopping.
Good advice. Unfortunately I’m locked in the way the room is. I’ve been reading about first reflection points so I thought I’d see if it made any improvement.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis