Advice on Speaker Upgrade

D

dpriest

Audioholic Intern
Hi all,
Since I first established a home theater setup 18 years ago, I have only experienced only one brand of front and rear speakers. I am not unhappy at all with the sound, however I'm not sure what I may be missing out on. Very similar to my eye sight years ago before I went to the eye doctor to have my eyes checked and realized prescription glasses would be a game changer on how much better I could see. I recently upgraded my 5.1 setup to a 5.1.2 setup by installing two RSL C34E speakers a couple years ago so no need to upgrade these.

My current home theater setup is the following:

For my Front Left, Front Right and Center speakers I am using the NHT SuperOne Bookshelf speakers.
My surround back right and back left speakers are the Polk Audio FXi3 left and right pair.
Again, my FPL right and FPL left in ceiling speakers are the RSL C34E speakers.
My one subwoofer in the front on the floor is the SVS PB-3000
My receiver is the Yamaha Aventage RX-A6A

The NHT SuperOne Specs:
Configuration: 2-way acoustic suspension
Woofer: 6.5" paper cone with rubber surrounds
Tweeter: 1” soft dome
Frequency Response: 56Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB
Crossover Frequency: 2.4kHz
Sensitivity: 86dB
Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 5.3 ohms minimum
Power Handling: 125W
Weight: 9.1 lbs each
IMG_1138 copy.jpg

The Polk Audio FXi3 Specs:
bass-reflex
frequency response 60-26,000 Hz (-3dB)
8-ohm impedance
sensitivity 88 dB
handles up to 150 watts
5-way binding post connectors
dipole/bipole switch
IMG_1140 copy.jpg

This setup is pretty much exclusively for Home Theater use, watching movies, TV shows, etc and minimal music listening. I don't want to switch to free standing speakers but keep them on shelves. Please let me know your thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you for your help in advance.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What are you hoping to improve upon? And what is your budget for this goal?

The only thing that sticks out to me with your speaker setup is the dipole/bipole surrounds. Most of today's content is designed for monopole speakers.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
What are you hoping to improve upon? And what is your budget for this goal?

The only thing that sticks out to me with your speaker setup is the dipole/bipole surrounds. Most of today's content is designed for monopole speakers.
I would also add that a move to multiple subwoofers could be helpful.

D

dpriest

Audioholic Intern
I'm not sure what I am hoping to improve upon. Maybe clarity/cleanness of sound. At times it is difficult for me to understand the dialogue in a movie and I need to use English subtitles. Before I wore glasses years ago, I realized I was settling for marginal eyesight and only after I started wearing glasses I didn't realize how much clearer my vision could be. In regards to home theater audio as well as occasional music listening, I'm exploring a similar concept. I'm looking for someone that is familiar with the NHT and Polk Audio speakers I have or someone that can recommend a specific type and brand speaker. In regards to a subwoofer the SVS PB-3000 packs a powerful punch and I would consider adding a second down the road but for now exploring the speaker area.

Last edited:
ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
I think you have to weigh the cost of making a change which may not make a significant difference. Maybe buying from someplace with a good return policy? Even someone familiar with those speakers may not be able to tell you much about how they will sound in your space. Is there something specifically "wrong"? Just aiming for "better" is a pretty nebulous goal.

D

dpriest

Audioholic Intern
I think you have to weigh the cost of making a change which may not make a significant difference. Maybe buying from someplace with a good return policy? Even someone familiar with those speakers may not be able to tell you much about how they will sound in your space. Is there something specifically "wrong"? Just aiming for "better" is a pretty nebulous goal.

D

dpriest

Audioholic Intern
As I've previously stated, there is nothing inherently wrong but something with better dynamic range. Again, at times it is difficult to clearly understand the dialogue in certain movies where I will need english subtitles. Someone recommended the Arendal 1723 THX but those are too big for my needs. It was also mentioned to replace the Polk di/bipoles in the rear surround with my NHT SuperOnes because di/bipoles are not ideal to use in an Atmos environment and replace the Front LCR.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
As I've previously stated, there is nothing inherently wrong but something with better dynamic range. Again, at times it is difficult to clearly understand the dialogue in certain movies where I will need english subtitles. Someone recommended the Arendal 1723 THX but those are too big for my needs. It was also mentioned to replace the Polk di/bipoles in the rear surround with my NHT SuperOnes because di/bipoles are not ideal to use in an Atmos environment and replace the Front LCR.
I have the SuperOnes in a 2 channel setup in my bedroom. They sound fine, just can't handle a lot of power or high volumes well. So it depends on how far you are and how loud you listen.

I ended up with Kef Q series speaker for my theater space and couldn't be happier, well maybe I could if I went with the new R or Reference series. So, maybe check out Kef.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
regards to a subwoofer the SVS PB-3000 packs a powerful punch and I would consider adding a second down the road but for now exploring the speaker area.
FWIW, multiple subwoofers would allow you to yield a qualitative increase both for themselves AND the speakers.

Consider that multiple subs will make localization more difficult, allowing for a higher crossover point to your speakers. This higher XO to your speakers means reduced cone excursion and lower distortion. Multiple subs are also helpful in smoothing in-room response. Any additional output is just the cherry on top.

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
I'm just not sure that changing your surround speakers will have an appreciable impact on dialogue clarity. What you're complaining about, and your proposed solution don't seem to match, to me.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If it were me, I would move the NHT speakers to replace the Polks and get a higher sensitivity and lower extension speaker for the front stage. Maybe look at some Monoprice THX speakers. If you can afford to spend a bit more, check out the Polk Legend L200 and L400, that would be a major upgrade over what you have now.

D

dpriest

Audioholic Intern
The idea of changing the surround speakers came from using the SuperOnes in the rear because of the di/bipole conflict with Atmos and replacing the fronts. I do pump up the volume and like to listen to things on the loud side. The Aventage RX-A6A puts out a lot of power. I'm not looking for an excuse to spend more money and don't have money to waste. That being said if there was a solution with other speakers where I could notice a measurable difference, I would consider it.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Pay heed to what shadyj says and you won't go wrong.
Someone recommended the Arendal 1723 THX but those are too big for my needs.
Hey, that's really not in the spirit of audioholism. They're only "too big" if they don't fit through the door.:) (Too bad the Arendals are too big for your situation, they would be a nice solution.)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am NOT UNHAPPY at all with the sound...

For my Front Left, Front Right and Center speakers I am using the NHT SuperOne Bookshelf speakers.
My one subwoofer in the front on the floor is the SVS PB-3000
My receiver is the Yamaha RX-A6A
But are you COMPLETELY HAPPY with the sound? :D

I think you have a fantastic Yamaha AVR that is worthy of a high-end system.

My first HT system consisted of the NHT little speakers and subs. And they sounded great to me, except for when I would hear crackles (distortion) at high volume, especially the Center speaker.

If you must have SMALLER speakers, then I would get the LARGEST size speakers you can get for better Dynamics (being able to play louder volume with less distortion).

D

dpriest

Audioholic Intern
Alright. You guys are awesome. Maybe if I actually knew you I wouldn't feel that way:)

I am going to be moving the NHT SuperOnes to the rear surrounds. The Monolith THC-365C is too high for my setup and will impede the view my TV by 3/4" so I have to rule it out. The THX-365T speakers will work because I have no restictions on the shelf top.

The Kef Q350 and Q650C speakers which will fit with the center speaker. I am also considering Polk L200 and L400 but I also looked at the Polk R200 and R400 but don't know how much of a difference there would be between the two L200, 400 and R200, 400. This is based on the recommendations in this forum. Not sure which speakers listed here to go with.

Thoughts about these speakers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A bit more info about your room/seating might be in order. I'd simply prefer larger speakers than the NHTs but sounds like you have some specific limitations to deal with for size/placement.

OTOH as far as dialog, sometimes that's just the way content is created these days, or, like your eyes, might be a sign of reduced hearing capabilities, something that most deal with.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I do pump up the volume and like to listen to things on the loud side.
If you like listening on the loud side, you definitely need a front stage speaker change because those NHTs have a measured sensitivity of 83dB. That is not terribly high. They also lose output fast under 100Hz.
I am going to be moving the NHT SuperOnes to the rear surrounds. The Monolith THC-365C is too high for my setup and will impede the view my TV by 3/4" so I have to rule it out. The THX-365T speakers will work because I have no restictions on the shelf top.

The Kef Q350 and Q650C speakers which will fit with the center speaker. I am also considering Polk L200 and L400 but I also looked at the Polk R200 and R400 but don't know how much of a difference there would be between the two L200, 400 and R200, 400. This is based on the recommendations in this forum. Not sure which speakers listed here to go with.
KEF and Polk are both solid brands. The Polk L400 is pricey but it is one of the best center speakers you can get at the moment. The Polk R series center speakers are probably OK but are sure to be a step down from the L400 because they are two-way centers instead of three-way centers. The KEF centers look very good as well. The KEF R series is certain to be better than the Q series, but the Q series looks like a great deal for the money. Another solid choice, if you need a lower profile center, is the Outlaw Audio BLSv2 and LCRv2.

D

dpriest

Audioholic Intern
Oh no. Not another recommendation for a speaker. (ha ha) It just makes it more difficult to decide with the Outlaws thrown into the mix. Someone else recommended the Paradigm 600C for the center. I assume I can mix a center speaker with different R,L speakers. I would like a three-way center for sure. Any more thoughts on what has already been mentioned?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Oh no. Not another recommendation for a speaker. (ha ha) It just makes it more difficult to decide with the Outlaws thrown into the mix. Someone else recommended the Paradigm 600C for the center. I assume I can mix a center speaker with different R,L speakers. I would like a three-way center for sure. Any more thoughts on what has already been mentioned?
The Paradigm 500C is a great center, and I would guess that the 600C is also. However, Paradigm's bookshelf speakers don't look to be on the same level. On the other hand, the Paradigm Premier towers are very good.

D

dpriest

Audioholic Intern
Still no closer to making this decision between the KEF, Polk L series and R Series. I would consider getting the Paradigm 600C combined with 2 of the Polk or KEF.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis