Climate Change (For Those That Respect Science)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Maui is a different case- from all indications, the devastation didn't have to occur, but very little was done about the start of the fire (downed power lines) and emergency warnings didn't go out. Now, their power company is talking about

Since you mentioned need, does everyone need as much as we in the US & Canada, etc have? With the amount of wasted food and other items, the answer is clearly "NO". Why don't we come up with ways to decrease waste and scale back our consumption? Let's educate people so they won't confuse 'need' and 'want'? One problem is marketing- it uses human nature against people and they have no resistance to becoming rampant consumers of things they don't need.

One example of waste is in stolen cars. The article in the link (November 2, 2022) shows that 745K vehicles were stolen by that time- if we assume that 40% were totaled and the rest needed no repairs, that's still an incredible amount of waste.

However, do we really need the world population to grow at the current rate?
Well, there are indications that population growth is falling globally.

And, national fertility rates tend to drop as wealth increases.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
And, national fertility rates tend to drop as wealth increases.
Sort of. If you just gave Nigeria a bunch of cash, it wouldn't necessarily do anything. It's things like women's rights, industrialization, etc. IOW, it's a product of actual development.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Sort of. If you just gave Nigeria a bunch of cash, it wouldn't necessarily do anything. It's things like women's rights, industrialization, etc. IOW, it's a product of actual development.
Agreed. That's what I was getting at. They go together. High fertility isn't necessarily a cultural thing either. Statistics in developed countries show that succeeding generations of immigrants from high fertility countries quickly reduce offspring numbers to those of the surrounding society.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
NE Florida (St Augustine) temps seem to have reverted to norms. Low 90s high 80s this week instead of the high 90s we had last week. Hopefully the heatwave is over for this year.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Maui is a different case- from all indications, the devastation didn't have to occur, but very little was done about the start of the fire (downed power lines) and emergency warnings didn't go out. Now, their power company is talking about

Since you mentioned need, does everyone need as much as we in the US & Canada, etc have? With the amount of wasted food and other items, the answer is clearly "NO". Why don't we come up with ways to decrease waste and scale back our consumption? Let's educate people so they won't confuse 'need' and 'want'? One problem is marketing- it uses human nature against people and they have no resistance to becoming rampant consumers of things they don't need.

One example of waste is in stolen cars. The article in the link (November 2, 2022) shows that 745K vehicles were stolen by that time- if we assume that 40% were totaled and the rest needed no repairs, that's still an incredible amount of waste.

However, do we really need the world population to grow at the current rate?
This is not the first time a wildfire has broken out on Maui, August 2018 and yes, they were under a Hurricane warning.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
And so it begins for this year.
You have to wonder when it will make more sense to just evacuate regions like Florida for good, rather than rebuild them every time this happens.
Seems to me that day will come sooner than most will believe.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
You have to wonder when it will make more sense to just evacuate regions like Florida for good, rather than rebuild them every time this happens.

And its all the southern coast not just FL if you remember your geography, Katrina ,, Galveston TX, the flooding in Houston 2017 and also Sandy in the north country impacted in a big way NJ, NY.

So I guess you are going to pay to move and relocate and buy up all of the homes and hotels of some 22 million people. YOu might as well since you seem to have some cash laying around, buy up all of those CA areas that catch fire every year and the Tornado areas in the midwest.

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
I think it's either gradual abandonment or large scale civil engineering projects, and there doesn't seem to be much talk about either. Maybe when the entire Gulf coast is in the same situation as New Orleans we'll see some action?

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
And its all the southern coast not just FL if you remember your geography, Katrina ,, Galveston TX, the flooding in Houston 2017 and also Sandy in the north country impacted in a big way NJ, NY.

So I guess you are going to pay to move and relocate and buy up all of the homes and hotels of some 22 million people. YOu might as well since you seem to have some cash laying around, buy up all of those CA areas that catch fire every year and the Tornado areas in the midwest.
Lex Luthor's dream of new coastline property was pretty spot-on.
No Nukes Required !!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Humans just have a way of just screwing sh$$ up all by themselves and then Mother Nature comes in and cleans up after them...
And if humans go extinct, the rest of the world will be just fine.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Or just declare self-dependence, no more assistance from governments for those who stay.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
George Carlin always said that the Earth will just shake us off like a bunch of fleas...he was right.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
This is getting worse by the hour....at the very start of the hurricane season.

Well aware of this. We have already moved our boats out of the water in Kings Bay Crystal River from my son-in-laws get away and they are back safe in Ocala. Today we are helping my sister get her place in Ocala ready, then back to my home in Volusia County. .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis