Looking for my first REAL subwoofer!!

L

lotus710

Enthusiast
Hey guys! this is my first post here. ive lurked around a bit reading but i cant find exactly what i want. im looking at getting my first real subwoofer. i currently have an off brand name computer speaker setup that has a little sub that just is not cutting it anymore for me. im looking to you guys for help. i have a small budget of say 400. been looking at polk audio psw and dsw pro series along with the klipsch r series. im willing to take other brands but from the bit of reading ive done those seem like great companies. i used to be friends with a dj that had krk rokit 8inch monitor speakers and they had more bass then i could ask for. im even willing to get some speakers that have sick bass if you guys know of any like the rokits? or maybe even the rokits themselves? i can get the 5inchs for 209 cad on amazon. im just so stumped. but i usualy take a while to buy things so i have time. any comments positive or negative about the above mentioned choices are welcome! oh and i should mention. im looking to shake my house. but ya know. not 1000 dollars of shaking ;)

Lotus

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds like the RSL Speedwoofer would fit the bill, or maybe something from Hsu.

How big is your room?

*Edit: I see you mention speakers. You won't get house shaking bass from a $400 set of speakers.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't know if RSL or Hsu will ship to Canada....Canadian sub choices aren't quite as good as in the US. Personally I wouldn't bother with Polk or Klipsch subs but at your budget maybe. SVS would be available in Canada and what I'd start with for a real subwoofer....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Since you are beyond the wall :) your options kind of limited, not to mention us/cad currency exchange. I'm afraid $400 cad would not go as far as good sub which could fill even a medium sized room. You unfortunately a bit late as due to health reasons css just closed shop.
Best I recommend is to look on kijjii (or whatever its correct spelling is) and look for solid 2nd hand sub.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't know if RSL or Hsu will ship to Canada....Canadian sub choices aren't quite as good as in the US. Personally I wouldn't bother with Polk or Klipsch subs but at your budget maybe. SVS would be available in Canada and what I'd start with for a real subwoofer....
Aw crap. Missed the Canada part in that wall of text! I've been pretty distracted the last couple of days.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe the OP can save up some more money and get a single really good sub for the time being and add a second when funds allow. It sounds like the OP is wanting to rock it pretty heavy. I think he would be well served looking at something like the SVS PB-2000. Duals when funds allow would get the OP closer to what he is looking for.

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-2000

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe the OP can save up some more money and get a single really good sub for the time being and add a second when funds allow. It sounds like the OP is wanting to rock it pretty heavy. I think he would be well served looking at something like the SVS PB-2000. Duals when funds allow would get the OP closer to what he is looking for.

https://www.svsound.com/products/pb-2000

Cheers,

Phil
He has a $400 budget, doesn't he? I mean, I agree with you, but that budget...

He also alludes to his main speakers not being very good also. "i currently have an off brand name computer speaker setup". Maybe he might want to start with a decent stereo pair?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
He has a $400 budget, doesn't he? I mean, I agree with you, but that budget...

He also alludes to his main speakers not being very good also. "i currently have an off brand name computer speaker setup". Maybe he might want to start with a decent stereo pair?
Yes he said $400. That is why it might be a good idea to save up more and get something like the PB-2000. Then, later get a second when funds allow. His options are somewhat limited given that he is in Canada. My first thought was dual RSL 10" subs given his budget, but not sure if they ship to Canada or not. The SVS would be a viable option inmho.

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes he said $400. That is why it might be a good idea to save up more and get something like the PB-2000. Then, later get a second when funds allow. His options are somewhat limited given that he is in Canada. My first thought was dual RSL 10" subs given his budget, but not sure if they ship to Canada or not. The SVS would be a viable option inmho.

Cheers,

Phil
Agreed. I'm curious about his main speakers too though. If he gets a decent sub and has a couple little plastic boxes for main speakers he'll get good bass but that's about it.

L

lotus710

Enthusiast
Sounds like the RSL Speedwoofer would fit the bill, or maybe something from Hsu.

How big is your room?

*Edit: I see you mention speakers. You won't get house shaking bass from a $400 set of speakers.
not even those rokit or yamaha monitors? my buddy has the 8 inch rokits and they shook my apartment. i guess my house is a bit bigger huh ;) it would be in my living room. its about 15x15. ill check out those you mentioned!

oh and yes i plan to get some better speakers later down the road. they are currently the plastic ones you speak ofXD

L

lotus710

Enthusiast
i mean i could suffer with the set i have while i save a bit more. i plan to wait till next payday so i can maybe add a bit too it. i wouldnt mind paying more especially if its gonna last me! i noticed being in canada sucks with choices. its maybe 1/10 the amount the us has

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
not even those rokit or yamaha monitors? my buddy has the 8 inch rokits and they shook my apartment. i guess my house is a bit bigger huh ;) it would be in my living room. its about 15x15. ill check out those you mentioned!

oh and yes i plan to get some better speakers later down the road. they are currently the plastic ones you speak ofXD
We need a little more info as to your expectations and how far you'll be sitting from them. How high is your ceiling? Is that room open to other rooms (no doors you can shut)? A sub "sees" the entire open area, including any rooms your listening space is open to.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Last edited:
L

lotus710

Enthusiast
We need a little more info as to your expectations and how far you'll be sitting from them. How high is your ceiling? Is that room open to other rooms (no doors you can shut)? A sub "sees" the entire open area, including any rooms your listening space is open to.
my expectations are low. ill be happy with anything that is better then what i have now. i feel as if i got even the dsw111 by polk that id be happyXD the room is about 9 feet tall. its fully open. kitchen is right there. no doors. then theres a hallway. you can hear the speakers i have now in my bedroom. i usualy sit on my couch about 10 feet away. also ive gotten things from avshop.ca and they seem to have a fair amount of choices.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
that sounds like t would make me happy.
And alot of fun too. I edited and added more links hopefully you can get everything sent to Canada. You can always check ebay as well. If you need more help just let me know.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Seems you want a computer setup for music. Dayton 1200
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-1200-12-120-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-629
with your current speakers?
https://www.wavecrestaudio.com/products/hvl-1-two-way-loudspeaker-pair

Also a Chinese amp from ebay.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/122275075022?_mwBanner=1
My computer setup cost me less than $400 and sounds fantastic.
That's a nice little package you scraped together. I still wanna try one of those amps. I vaguely remember talking to you about it a while back. Solid, cheap, clean power?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis