Looking for my first REAL subwoofer!!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
ah fair enough. i think 5 inch is too small for my wants. would one of these speakers put me over till i get the extra for the next speaker? which sub would go good with those behringers? amazon only has one in stock right now anywaysXD
I have owned the 305's and they have more bass than you think. They can also get plenty loud. The 308's would be even more so. Have heard the RokIts and left unimpressed. Still think the JBL's are better!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I remember some forum comments about the Rokit 8" speakers being decent, that the 5" was significantly inferior. I'd go with JBL over Rokits.

L

lotus710

Enthusiast
jbl over behringer i assume? the 305s are good. 219 each. 308s are 359. the behringer b2031a are 283. i guess its between the 305 and the behringer b2031a

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
jbl over behringer i assume? the 305s are good. 219 each. 308s are 359. the behringer b2031a are 283. i guess its between the 305 and the behringer b2031a
$219 each for the 305 sounds high (assuming you're in the US), should be able to get them for $300/pr if you look around.

L

lotus710

Enthusiast
i read both reviews on the 305 and 308. it sounds like the 305 would be the better choice.

presonus eris e8 vs jbl 308?

@lovinthehd im in canada unfortunatly. if not id say id have a set alredy;) hahahahaah

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i read both reviews on the 305 and 308. it sounds like the 305 would be the better choice.

@lovinthehd im in canada unfortunatly. if not id say id have a set alredy;) hahahahaah
308 would have better bass capabilites. Canada does make things different as far as choices go, tho.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Both fine speakers, but I think Presonus have a small edge due better accuracy based on measurements graphs.
At these prices I honestly recommend to start making calls to local pro-audio shops and check if anyone near you have both of these in stock. They may have 2nd hand pro monitors and this allow you big savings.

I'd also suggest not discount Behringer 2031A. Like I said before - they are great value speaker and in the end - all of these are made in China.

L

lotus710

Enthusiast
Both fine speakers, but I think Presonus have a small edge due better accuracy based on measurements graphs.
At these prices I honestly recommend to start making calls to local pro-audio shops and check if anyone near you have both of these in stock. They may have 2nd hand pro monitors and this allow you big savings.

I'd also suggest not discount Behringer 2031A. Like I said before - they are great value speaker and in the end - all of these are made in China.
ill run to the few that are around here tomorrow to check out. the 305s seem like they fit my needs most. i want the 308s but id end up spending over 700cad. ive found two yamaha hs8 for 350cad on kijiji!!! hopefully they will shipXD

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The bass from the 2031s are fine for what they are, but no replacement for a subwoofer. For bass, I would go for the JBL LSR 308s if they can be afforded.

L

lotus710

Enthusiast
thanks for all the help guys! anyone build their own speakers and subwoofers??

L

lotus710

Enthusiast
i had my brother come over with the logitech z623. 200w 7 inch sub. it does some pounding forsure. and its only 150cad on amazon right now. would the jbl305s pound like that setup? id be happy with something maybe a little louder with better speakers then the z623

L

lotus710

Enthusiast
am i able to hook up a set of monitors to a subwoofer? if so i could get 2 mackie monitors and hook them up to a good subwoofer.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
i had my brother come over with the logitech z623. 200w 7 inch sub. it does some pounding forsure. and its only 150cad on amazon right now. would the jbl305s pound like that setup? id be happy with something maybe a little louder with better speakers then the z623
Here's the thing: Amount of volume and clarity from JBL LSR305 will walk over easily on any Logitech speakers with ease.
But if you insist on pc speakers, I won't be ashamed to recommend this 2.1 set:
https://www.amazon.ca/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497298948&sr=8-2&keywords=Klipsch+ProMedia+2.1
It's under budget and I am sure, you'll like the sound.

L

lotus710

Enthusiast
Here's the thing: Amount of volume and clarity from JBL LSR305 will walk over easily on any Logitech speakers with ease.
But if you insist on pc speakers, I won't be ashamed to recommend this 2.1 set:
https://www.amazon.ca/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497298948&sr=8-2&keywords=Klipsch+ProMedia+2.1
It's under budget and I am sure, you'll like the sound.
and could i hook a good sub to them later when i can afford one? im having bass withdraws so thats probably why im looking at the logitechXD cheap and i can get them in town fast. and those jbls will ruin that logitech 7 inch sub you say? im really leaning on the jbls. what about mackie? are they anygood?

L

lotus710

Enthusiast
wait now. with these jbls do i need a program of some sort? can i just plug and play say from my phone or xbox?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
wait now. with these jbls do i need a program of some sort? can i just plug and play say from my phone or xbox?
Program? No. All you'd need is analog audio out. 305 I believe support both balanced and unbalanced input. Even though they removed RCA port, the TSR jack still accepts unbalanced (ie: regular consumer) audio input.
You should have issues plugging them to xbox or phone. But since you do have xbox, computer, and a phone - you may instead choose to go with used av receiver and passive speakers. Pre-4K/UHD, but with HDMI inputs is what you'd need. It would be much easier to connect a sub to a receiver anyhow
These speakers, If Dennis would ship them to canada, is best bang for the buck you could find and you won't need even a sub with them for most part.
http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Here are few excellent avrs I've found:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/city-of-toronto/yamaha-htr-6025-natural-sound-av-receiver/1223977185?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-stereo-systems-home-theatre/markham-york-region/denon-avr-1911-7-1-channel-a-v-receiver/1268454833?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I think 1911 could haggled down to $150, if you offer $100 first :)

Make sure original microphones included or no sale. You won't find original one and would missing important functionality - auto room calibration

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis