Need help with amplifier for Yamaha rxa 860

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I thought about buying from them, I just am Leary about buying from anyone other than crutchfield. So you would buy from Accessorie4less?
I personally haven't bought from these guys, but I know some who have, and the experience was really good. Unless I have a reason not to, my. Ext avr will come from them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought about buying from them, I just am Leary about buying from anyone other than crutchfield. So you would buy from Accessorie4less?
Have several times, I find them great to deal with. OTOH the factory facility that does Denon refurbs, them I'm not so impressed with, but A4L held up their end of the deal and a bit more for me. Read the terms on refurb returns carefully so you know what your risk is as well as warranty conditions; btw some credit cards will extend the included 1 year refurb factory warranty by another year....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
As mentioned, the Crown amps can drive low output for the Yamaha, so that will cover the concerns.. To step up to a TOl avr will only add features and benefits. The audiable difference is probably a none issue. I have a couple of McIntosh amps and preamps and I've never heard an audible difference. While measurements my show , I havent had an issue that makes an auditory difference. I've had many pieces of gear that handle the decoding out side an avr, and none are lacking in Subjective difference.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
As mentioned, the Crown amps can drive low output for the Yamaha, so that will cover the concerns.. To step up to a TOl avr will only add features and benefits. The audiable difference is probably a none issue. I have a couple of McIntosh amps and preamps and I've never heard an audible difference. While measurements my show , I havent had an issue that makes an auditory difference. I've had many pieces of gear that handle the decoding out side an avr, and none are lacking in Subjective difference.
If you don't mind, so you use , Crown amps in home audio? Can you tell a little more on them, I know DJ's use them a lot in dance halls and clubs. What would be your thoughts for using one to power front mains for home audio.

Mike

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you don't mind, so you use , Crown amps in home audio? Can you tell a little more on them, I know DJ's use them a lot in dance halls and clubs. What would be your thoughts for using one to power front mains for home audio.

Mike
Crowns have become very popular in HT circles. Actually many pro amps have, if you can get past the aesthetics. Lol. Bang for buck is very high, but they're not always easy to look at, and some have loud fans. I use a Yamaha pro amp to drive my mains.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My Son had a few of them in his Studio but for some reason I never asked him his thoughts on those amps. I knew about fans, Umm very interesting thank you for sharing. Yeah anesthetics..lol..can always put a blindfold over the face plate huh?. lolo.Poking fun..But My Son was using a Pro EQ in his home set up for some time but that exactly what he did he cut a sheer piece of black cloth to hide the front place, cause the lights where brite..If he hadn't lifted it up one day I would have never noticed that Pro EQ..

Mike
Glad to share. I also use a BFD 1124 to EQ my subs. Now THAT thing is fugly. My pro gear being mixed in doesn't bother me because of the cost of entry barrier being low. I likely would choose something more elegant like pass labs or krell etc if for nothing but looks. In any case, pro gear can absolutely be used to great effect.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My Son had a few of them in his Studio but for some reason I never asked him his thoughts on those amps. I knew about fans, Umm very interesting thank you for sharing. Yeah anesthetics..lol..can always put a blindfold over the face plate huh?. lolo.Poking fun..But My Son was using a Pro EQ in his home set up for some time but thats exactly what he did he cut a sheer piece of black cloth to hide the front plate cause the lights where brite..If he hadn't lifted it up one day I would have never noticed that Pro EQ..

Mike
The fan noise on the Crown XLS Drivecore series amps is negligible and they upgraded aesthetics in gen 2 along with some other consumer friendly features like a way to reduce the glare of their blue lights and have two sensitivity settings. I've got four of them (gen 1 tho), work great.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Glad to share. I also use a BFD 1124 to EQ my subs. Now THAT thing is fugly. My pro gear being mixed in doesn't bother me because of the cost of entry barrier being low. I likely would choose something more elegant like pass labs or krell etc if for nothing but looks. In any case, pro gear can absolutely be used to great effect.
Just checked out a few, dam things are 2 ohm rated..350 watts..20 to 20hz.. but even them dudes, pist Dapper Dan Factor specs :p,killer price..they do use switching power supplies. no big deal there. Umm very interesting .

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan

Mike
I use two to drive Subs, a berhinger a500 for the mains and center. The Crown amps could easily drive mains with no drawback. There are several members that do so, one of which drives his Statements in a stereo reference system. The specs are outstanding and aside from the pro look, they work perfect. Even JBL uses crown amps on their M2 top of the line.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
I use two to drive Subs, a berhinger a500 for the mains and center. The Crown amps could easily drive mains with no drawback. There are several members that do so, one of which drives his Statements in a stereo reference system. The specs are outstanding and aside from the pro look, they work perfect. Even JBL uses crown amps on their M2 top of the line.
Thank you, EverettT I am very much interested in the 2 I just listed above and my post. Lovinthehd, pointed me in the right direction no doubt with the XLS drivecores. With Williams and now your help and thoughts, wish man oh man I should have join this site years ago. You dudes rock bro! As much as I know about this hobby you guys are helping me to a whole other level.

Mike

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I run my subs bridged, and listen at reference levels and have never heard the fan come on. The 1502s weigh less that my Dutch oven and put out over 1k bridged. Dead quite. Selectable input voltage and a couple of DSP settings for high and low pass. Hella of a value

Thank you, EverettT I am very much interested in the 2 I just listed above and my post. Lovinthehd, pointed me in the right direction no doubt with the XLS drivecores. With Williams and now your help and thoughts, wish man oh man I should have join this site years ago. You dudes rock bro! As much as I know about this hobby you guys are helping me to a whole other level.

Mike

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Mike
I like it here! I bought my entire current system based on research and suggestions from here and learned a lot in a short period of time. I really like what I have now.

I just ordered the right receiver and I predict a Crown amp in my near future. Just gotta get everything lined up right...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Porge, hope your night is going good? Your absolutely correct I was sitting at home all day reading and reading post after post thread after thread I can't thank the ole timers enough in here and some of the not so ole timers in here..I am kicking myself up one side and down the other wondering why I never joined this site could have done this 10 years ago and saved a ton of bucks and with have ended with much better gear. I ask about Crown amps well cause I have been seeing more and more of them in home audio systems, always knew about them Crown been around a long time. Read some reviews on them that was in a home set up didn't think much.. It would be different, if Lovinthehd didn't say I haven't read enough of his post. So I took his advice and went back and read a bunch more of his post and some of the others in here. You where spot on Porge, I am finding just much I have been miss lead from other forums from other posters..Look I ain't no "Worm" :confused:..that's me poking fun at myself. umm..maybe a inchworm some...lolo..But if it wasn't for lovinthehd, caring enough in helping me pull my head out my ass.. probably would have close this account but he got me riled up enough to start research and again.:)

Mike
All in good fun! I didn't get ruffled at all last night. I've been 8 beers deep (and lots more) on plenty of nights and know where your head was at. Never thought you were a worm, lol.

Hey man, I thought I knew what was up when I joined and boy did I have my eyes opened. The gear I'm running now is so much better than what I had and it didn't cost a fortune (depending on your perspective... :p). Just be open. The theme here is objectivity and science to back up claims. There's certainly a lot of subjectivity in this hobby, but this site is pretty good at myth busting.

You found us now, and I've read your posts. This ain't your first rodeo and I'll bet you have a thing or 2 up your sleeve that I can learn from. Welcome to AH!

T

Tankman

Audioholic
All in good fun! I didn't get ruffled at all last night. I've been 8 beers deep (and lots more) on plenty of nights and know where your head was at. Never thought you were a worm, lol.

Hey man, I thought I knew what was up when I joined and boy did I have my eyes opened. The gear I'm running now is so much better than what I had and it didn't cost a fortune (depending on your perspective... :p). Just be open. The theme here is objectivity and science to back up claims. There's certainly a lot of subjectivity in this hobby, but this site is pretty good at myth busting.

You found us now, and I've read your posts. This ain't your first rodeo and I'll bet you have a thing or 2 up your sleeve that I can learn from. Welcome to AH!
Thanks Poge, that's the warmest welcome ,I ever got from any member from any forum. :)

Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis