Need help with amplifier for Yamaha rxa 860

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
Would the outlaw model 5000 be a good match for my Yamaha RxA 860? I need more power in theatre mode
Due to the limitations of the pre outs on the Yamaha. I am running all Polk tsx speakers. 550t towers, 250c center and 220b's for the surrounds.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What do you mean match? In terms of pre-out voltage vs the amp's sensitivity? By limitations of the pre-outs you are referring to the output voltage?

You currently can't get the system to be as loud as you like without distortion/clipping, or ?

Are you not using a sub? If so, your $ would probably be better spent trying one first.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

There is nothing to match between the amp and receiver. What needs to be matched is the speakers to the amplifier. You speakers will work fine with the Outlaw.

All things considered, you might not get more than 1-2 dB increase in overall SPL by adding the outboard amplifier. Lovingthehd is right, if you’re running your front speakers full range and don’t have a subwoofer, that’s probably why you’re running out of steam. If that’s the case, adding both the amp and a subwoofer would make a significant difference.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
What do you mean match? In terms of pre-out voltage vs the amp's sensitivity? By limitations of the pre-outs you are referring to the output voltage?

You currently can't get the system to be as loud as you like without distortion/clipping, or ?

Are you not using a sub? If so, your $ would probably be better spent trying one first.

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
Sorry I wasn't more clear, I am still new at all this. I bought the 860 before the review came out and I was concerned about the pre-out voltage on the Yamaha clipping at 1.9 volts. I don't have a subwoofer yet but I think that's what I need to try first since it seems like I loose Punch at higher volume. Around -20 db. I best describe it as a car going 55 mph and it's a 4 cilinder. So I think the advice on getting a subwoofer first is the way to go. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!!!

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Sorry I wasn't more clear, I am still new at all this. I bought the 860 before the review came out and I was concerned about the pre-out voltage on the Yamaha clipping at 1.9 volts. I don't have a subwoofer yet but I think that's what I need to try first since it seems like I loose Punch at higher volume. Around -20 db. I best describe it as a car going 55 mph and it's a 4 cilinder. So I think the advice on getting a subwoofer first is the way to go. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!!!
I do believe on this site there is a nice review that audioholic's did on that 860 just recently. Although the review was good on it the guy who did the review did say he felt it was lacking in output he wasn't knocking the unit just that in his words it could have used more umm, bump so to speak. You would have more headroom with a added amp, but Wayne is right, you wouldn't really notice much until you really cranked it up. Adding a Sub will surely open up your sound stage. I had EMO amps back into day, XPA-5 and XPA-2 driving LSi-15's and the only time I noticed any difference in sound quality, is when I had it loud! I did an A/B between my AVR and my EMO amps and found I had over kill with them amps. Was spending 2 g's on amps worth the Bucks? No, I found that I had a diminishing return in that investment as far as add on amps go. I totally agree with the other comments about adding a sub but pick a good one. Polk subs are good but there are much better ones out there for about the same bucks to be had umm..SVS subs come highly recommended. Not knocking Polk subs there good but even SVS entry level Subs will blow just about any Polk out the water.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No problem. Even if your Yamaha is on the low side with output voltage there are many outboard amps that accommodate that better than others in any case (look for a lower input sensitivity rating on outboard amps, for example the Crown XLS generation 2 amps have an adjustment of either .775V or 1.4V). I wouldn't worry about most subs either in that regard, but I'll bet the sub will be a more satisfying addition at this time. Keep in mind that lower bass frequencies react to rooms differently than higher frequencies, so your room dimensions have a lot to do with bass too....

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
Cool, I haven't bought a new system in 15 years. These new receivers can really have alot of adjustments to get the sound where you like it. Big step up from bass and treble only. I do love the yammy sound. I have been thinking about the svs sb 2000. From all my research, a good subwoofer really makes all the difference. My budget is around $700 and since I live in an apartment, I think I will be plenty happy going this route. Thanks alot for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it!! I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Cool, I haven't bought a new system in 15 years. These new receivers can really have alot of adjustments to get the sound where you like it. Big step up from bass and treble only. I do love the yammy sound. I have been thinking about the svs sb 2000. From all my research, a good subwoofer really makes all the difference. My budget is around $700 and since I live in an apartment, I think I will be plenty happy going this route. Thanks alot for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it!! I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again
That SVS SB2000 is the one on my short list. Them Polk TXS 550"s are good middle of the road speakrs, nice build and your Yammy A860 should match up nicely with them. If you decide to add a amp maybe look to a two channel amp? to drive just your L/R mains and let your 860 drive your surrounds with adding that SVS sub no doubt you would have a killer system for not a lot of coin. If I had your set-up I would add a Parasound A23 Halo amp or their 2250, EMO amps are a option, Monoprice has some nice amps too made by ATi. Come to think, I may look into them TXS 550's. I could go with that 860 match it up with a SVS and a parasound amp or Monoprice two channel and save myself 1 g...umm..anyways happy hunting.

Mike.

T

Tankman

Audioholic
Will do Mike, thanks again, Jon
Jon, thats a nice set-up you have your speakers are above what I am running right now. My Son has the Yamaha A3060 he loves the quality of the sound output of the unit. Them Polk TXS-550's are not small towers, they are on my short list. How are you liking them if I may ask? I bet they have a nice soundstage uh? I been using Polk for years and have found Polks service to be outstanding. Over the years I have had to warranty tweeters that I blew for driving my AVR to hard causing the amp to clip and they always ship out a new one at no charge. Anyways sorry I got a lil off from your thread I just enjoy talking about this hobby every chance I get. Sorry about the spelling autocorrect can be a headache.lol

Mike

Last edited:
P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
Jon, thats a nice set-up you have your speakers are above what I am running right now. My Son has the Yamaha A1050 he loves the quality of the sound output of the unit. Them Polk TXS-550's are not small towers, they are on my short list. How are you liking them if I may ask? I bet they have a nice soundstage uh? I been using Polk for years and have found Polks service to be outstanding. Over the years I have had to warranty tweeters that I blew for driving my AVR to hard causing the amp to clip and they always ship out a new one at no charge. Anyways sorry I got a lil off from your thread I just enjoy talking about this hobby every chance I get. Sorry about the spelling autocorrect can be a headache.lol

Mike
I

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
I really love all of the Polk tsx speakers! The 550's have a really good mid-range, highs and lows. I just wish they had more punch at lower volume. When I crank them up around -15db that's when they really come to life! I guess that's why I need a subwoofer. I don't like booming bass, just nice tight and punchy if you know what I mean. I also like the fact that they aren't an in your face kind of speaker. You definitely can't do much better for the money I paid for them. I love them!!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes you need a sub, those polks, as are many Speakers, weak below 100hz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I guess that's why I need a subwoofer. I don't like booming bass, just nice tight and punchy if you know what I mean.
Hope you're not conflating having a sub and booming bass. A lot of that is the sub's interaction with the room and integration with your speakers, as well as the quality of the sub. Don't buy a Polk sub would be my suggestion....

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
Hope you're not conflating having a sub and booming bass. A lot of that is the sub's interaction with the room and integration with your speakers, as well as the quality of the sub. Don't buy a Polk sub would be my suggestion....
I won't buy a Polk, I have researched alot of them and most have reliable issues. At least 50% of the issues deal with longevity. I have 3 friends that all had Polk subwoofers that have died around 3 years in. They loved the performance but all had some kind of problem. I just don't want to have one that won't last. Even though nothing is for sure, I have heard nothing bad about svs subwoofers. Maybe my friends abused them in some way but they claim they didn't.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I won't buy a Polk, I have researched alot of them and most have reliable issues. At least 50% of the issues deal with longevity. I have 3 friends that all had Polk subwoofers that have died around 3 years in. They loved the performance but all had some kind of problem. I just don't want to have one that won't last. Even though nothing is for sure, I have heard nothing bad about svs subwoofers. Maybe my friends abused them in some way but they claim they didn't.
SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, Power Sound Audio, Seaton, JTR, Funk are the ones I 'd suggest.

P

Puglover

Audioholic Intern
SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, Power Sound Audio, Seaton, JTR, Funk are the ones I 'd suggest.
Also I have a chance to pick up a Yamaha rxa 3040 for $800 would there be that much of a difference in sound quality and over all punch between the 860 than the 3040? I am just wondering if it would be enough of a difference to justify buying.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis