B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Picked up a couple of Pioneer atmos speakers today just to see if they make a difference. I hear some people say they don't work and some say there great. They were on sale so might s well try them I can always return them. Has anyone had any luck with these?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Do they take a separate channel or will they help with music that's streamed?

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
Picked up a couple of Pioneer atmos speakers today just to see if they make a difference. I hear some people say they don't work and some say there great. They were on sale so might s well try them I can always return them. Has anyone had any luck with these?
I take it your talking about the speaker with the built in upfiring driver...
Secret to them working well is what Dolby mentions in their guidelines, proper ceiling (flat and smooth) and most of all placement, the reflection "HAS" to get to the main listening area, you can just place the speaker anywhere and expect it to work magic.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
I use a ceiling fan set to high to blow the sound waves down into my listening area...

Works great AND I get a nice breeze...

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Personally I think they're more hype. Dolby is pushing them because every one bought is money in dolby's pocket since manufacturers have to pay a fee to utilize the technology.

If you absolutely positively have no way to install speakers overhead they're better than nothing, but think of it like a surround sound bar, it definitely does sound significantly more expansive than plain stereo, and if you sit in the sweet spot you might just be fooled, but it's not true surround.

Most reviews of these have stated that the effect is more diffuse and ambient, actual overhead speakers sound much better.

If cutting holes in the ceiling is an issue, pick up a pair of Polk OWMs, you can either attach them to the ceiling using Hangman bar speaker screws, which can hold 30 lbs a piece in drywall, or attach them using the large Command picture hanging strips which cause no damage when removed. I have done it both ways, had the speakers hanging from those picture hangers for nearly 3 months and they never fell down, I've used them to hang much heavier speakers on the wall before without issue. Just use 3-4 strips, clean the ceiling well, and stick it up there.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Watch this... 'Nough said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I hooked them up and reran audyssey it set the crossover at 200hz is that correct? Well I really didn't see much difference watching hacksaw ridge in atmos. So it might be better to take them back and pick up a couple of small speakers that match my front height speakers. I have sloped vaulted ceiling so I can probably mount them to the beam and have them so there firing down at the seating area.

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
I have the SP-FS73s as my mains in a 4.1.2 (you can see them in the Pros and Joes Forum). When I bought them, I knew it was a risk...I could have spent that $825 on a good pair of non-Atmos towers. Not sure if I've noticed a huge Atmos difference but the sound is still very good for my application so I'm not entirely dissatisfied. They're good enough that I don't see replacing them for the next decade.

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
I checked out your system pic. Very nice! Just curious, which sub do you have midfield behind the couch? The Velodyne? Did you switch it out with the JBL to test the diff?

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Actually that's a old pic before I upgraded. I have the SR7010 now so I added two front presence speakers and two front wide and now two up firing atmos speakers. I only have the 15 sub now the one behind the couch died. So watching Gene's video why can't you just mount 4 small speakers on the ceiling pointing down at your seating and use for atmos? Just set the crossover at 180Hz or 200hz

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
Actually that's a old pic before I upgraded. I have the SR7010 now so I added two front presence speakers and two front wide and now two up firing atmos speakers. I only have the 15 sub now the one behind the couch died. So watching Gene's video why can't you just mount 4 small speakers on the ceiling pointing down at your seating and use for atmos? Just set the crossover at 180Hz or 200hz
I've seen a recommendation elsewhere on AA to do just that: mounting small speakers on the ceiling. I don't have to worry because I have flat 9 ft ceilings. You're space is way different.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
If you notice in my pic I have those large beams running across the ceiling. I was thinking of moving the front presence speakers forward since there so far away I don't think there doing much. and buying two more of the same and mounting them above my seating this should give me that atmos effect? Since those up firing speakers did not do much

DHicks

Audioholic Intern
Worth a shot,I guess, if you're willing to get up on the ladder and string wire. It's a beautiful room so I wouldn't put anything big and gaudy to mess with the look, if it were me.

You've got a lot of volume to pressurize there... Not surprised your looking for another sub.

Have you considered moving the 800s out from the wall a bit to give them some room to breath?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've seen many movies in ATMOS at the theaters. I think it is 100% hype. So no way I would ever do ATMOS at home.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
I ended up taking the atmos speakers back today I just wanted to see how they would work it didn't . But bout a couple of book shelves speakers which I will mount on the beam above my seating and see how that works

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I've seen many movies in ATMOS at the theaters. I think it is 100% hype. So no way I would ever do ATMOS at home.
I have (Heard) many movies in a properly configured setup (CES and a local dealer), and I have done it at home, so I will choose to disagree.

That being said, I do not feel that up firing speakers is a proper set up and I am not surprised that you didn't hear much of a difference

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have (Heard) many movies in a properly configured setup (CES and a local dealer), and I have done it at home, so I will choose to disagree.

That being said, I do not feel that up firing speakers is a proper set up and I am not surprised that you didn't hear much of a difference
It's just about preference.

We can all see for ourselves what ATMOS can do. So many movies are in ATMOS these days.

If we like it, then it makes sense to implement ATMOS at home.

If we don't think it does anything for us, then it makes sense not to implement ATMOS at home.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was shocked, was going to pick up The new Star Wars Rogue One, which was in the theaters in Dobly Atmos. When I looked at the back, it was DTS X only. Surprising. That and the new harry potter re-releases are all in DTS:X....let the format wars begin on a market that is so small, does it really matter lol

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was shocked, was going to pick up The new Star Wars Rogue One, which was in the theaters in Dobly Atmos. When I looked at the back, it was DTS X only. Surprising. That and the new harry potter re-releases are all in DTS:X....let the format wars begin on a market that is so small, does it really matter lol
This war would affect me exactly 0.0%. But since I've always been biased towards DTS, I root for DTS:X. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Any receiver that supports Atmos usually supports DTS:X so I don't think it will matter.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis