Possibly ending my SVS love affair

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I guess the same could be said for the ultra books too to be fair, they do seem quite robust. But I still want towers up front. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
But that's not fair J, a/v-2's are like towers. Only shorter. But seriously, they are nice. I've been threatening my wife with a trip to the Bay Area(my secret plan to get her to relocate). I might have to knock on your door!
Just need a heads up and I'll be here. Weather is pretty nice right now >hint hint<

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just need a heads up and I'll be here. Weather is pretty nice right now >hint hint<
That would be so cool. It's on the table. If I even think there's a chance, I'll surely let you know. Thanks.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Huh just happened to notice those SVS Prime towers are only 36.6" tall. That's barely above standard desk height. Not very tall for towers..

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting little experiment last night. I took a walk through my local Best Buy and listened to every speaker set they had connected to a source, so both the sets on the main floor and those in Magnolia. So I heard some Def Techs, Martin Logan, B&W's, etc., in addition to the regular offerings on the main floor from Klipsch, Polk, even Sony. I realized that I think my ears have been playing tricks on me cause none of these sounded particularly GREAT, even considering the environment they were in. I came home and cued up the movie Whiplash on Amazon Prime, which if you don't know the film has a very rich jazz score, and of course plenty of drum sounds. These old SVS's reminded me why I got them in the first place as having that almost side by side comparison from returning from the store, they really seemed to sound better than anything I heard in there. The hi-hats and cymbals were crisp and detailed, the kick drum had power and punch and the stand up bass parts in the film made my seat rumble (well that's due to my big SVS sub, tyvm lol). And this is all from a streaming video site with compressed standard Dolby digital 5.1, not even the uncompressed formats found on blu-rays. Voice dialogue from the center channel still sound a little off in parts but I can probably figure out a way to fine tune that better.

I think it's just the difference in running them on a different receiver than before and maybe my ears are still trying to adjust? Maybe I don't really NEED to upgrade right away just give myself more time to become better acquainted with the differences between the Yamaha and my old pioneer..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting little experiment last night. I took a walk through my local Best Buy and listened to every speaker set they had connected to a source, so both the sets on the main floor and those in Magnolia. So I heard some Def Techs, Martin Logan, B&W's, etc., in addition to the regular offerings on the main floor from Klipsch, Polk, even Sony. I realized that I think my ears have been playing tricks on me cause none of these sounded particularly GREAT, even considering the environment they were in. I came home and cued up the movie Whiplash on Amazon Prime, which if you don't know the film has a very rich jazz score, and of course plenty of drum sounds. These old SVS's reminded me why I got them in the first place as having that almost side by side comparison from returning from the store, they really seemed to sound better than anything I heard in there. The hi-hats and cymbals were crisp and detailed, the kick drum had power and punch and the stand up bass parts in the film made my seat rumble (well that's due to my big SVS sub, tyvm lol). And this is all from a streaming video site with compressed standard Dolby digital 5.1, not even the uncompressed formats found on blu-rays. Voice dialogue from the center channel still sound a little off in parts but I can probably figure out a way to fine tune that better.

I think it's just the difference in running them on a different receiver than before and maybe my ears are still trying to adjust? Maybe I don't really NEED to upgrade right away just give myself more time to become better acquainted with the differences between the Yamaha and my old pioneer..
One thing I noticed when I had my Deftech SM55's. They sounded pretty decent at home, but when I listened to their display in the Magnolia room they sounded like utter crap. Those big rooms full of speakers just aren't acoustically friendly at all.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
One thing I noticed when I had my Deftech SM55's. They sounded pretty decent at home, but when I listened to their display in the Magnolia room they sounded like utter crap. Those big rooms full of speakers just aren't acoustically friendly at all.
Agreed. That's why I just use YouTube.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Oh I'm sure any of those higher end brands sound tons better in a better environment but it was just a walk through letting my ears hear the differences in each at least as best I could given the circumstances. Kinda reeled things back into perspective a bit for me so it was still a good exercise.

Also I must've missed a joke somewhere..? Lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, couldn't resist, even though it was a captain obvious joke.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh I'm sure any of those higher end brands sound tons better in a better environment but it was just a walk through letting my ears hear the differences in each at least as best I could given the circumstances. Kinda reeled things back into perspective a bit for me so it was still a good exercise.

Also I must've missed a joke somewhere..? Lol
There was a recent thread where some guy was trying to convince us you could get a good feel for how a speaker sounds by listening to YouTube videos.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There was a recent thread where some guy was trying to convince us you could get a good feel for how a speaker sounds by listening to YouTube videos.
Sounds like your saying it doesn't work? Btw, it works even better with subs! Lmao!

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Good grief... well that there is the distinction between honest ignorance (which can always be corrected) and blatant stupidity. LOL

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
So I'm just going to spend the rest of the day auditioning speakers on YouTube then and I will get back to you guys with the decision I've made for my speaker upgrade. Don't worry I'll only audition those that offer at least a 1080p resolution on the video so I know I'm hearing them properly. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I heard it works for checking resolution of tv's too...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis