Possibly ending my SVS love affair

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
So I'm just going to spend the rest of the day auditioning speakers on YouTube then and I will get back to you guys with the decision I've made for my speaker upgrade. Don't worry I'll only audition those that offer at least a 1080p resolution on the video so I know I'm hearing them properly. :D
They keep sounding like Dell Precision 5510 speakers, everything does.... dammit! I need to upgrade my speakers so I can listen to the speakers. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol
I just test drive a new C7(vette). Thank you you tube.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They keep sounding like Dell Precision 5510 speakers, everything does.... dammit! I need to upgrade my speakers so I can listen to the speakers. :D
Ha ha! I know we're running this one into the ground, but that was funny!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You might laugh, but read this thread starting here. Sadly, this is something some people believe.
By golly, that's the thread I was thinking about! A bunch of us posted in that one.

*Edit: Nope, wrong thread. Same guy though.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
There was a recent thread where some guy was trying to convince us you could get a good feel for how a speaker sounds by listening to YouTube videos.
You often can!
...as long it is your PC speakers!

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Well, so far I'm really leaning towards the Paradigm Prestige 85F's and may have to stretch my budget a bit but they kinda sound like Apple earbuds to be honest. I don't know if that justifies the high price.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I sometimes feel like I'm in the minority, but I'm and advocate of towers. For HT also. Your space is small, so bookshelf speakers would probably be fine. IMO however, even though they play loudly, they just don't do it in the same way. Towers are not just about bass extension, which is certainly a nice side effect, as you mentioned with direct mode. I have a pretty large space, and have found that small single bass driver speakers just can't excite the airwaves in the same way. Small speakers sound small. Even though they can be loud. Also imo, the look of towers is more elegant than speakers on stands. The good thing is, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Metaphorically speaking of course.
I remember comparing a couple of speakers and while listening to Eagles "Hotel California" I was thoroughly convinced that the larger speakers were better. The bass line was wonderfully full/rich.
In comparison, the bookshelf speakers were not there. The bass was not absent, but the sound was not near as rich. After that, I put on some Steely Dan, and while the bass was definitely fuller on the tower, it was tighter on the BS speaker. I think this is a general tendency. It may not be the case for every model/manufacturer, but I have seen it often enough.

IME, towers almost always have more resonance due to the physics of larger panels. Uber expensive tower speakers will go to great lengths to eliminate those resonances with bracing, etc. Very inexpensive towers are likely to have truly offensive resonances (which start to really dominate, if you crank them).
But among more mainstream products (like you are looking at), the added resonance almost always comes across as a richer, fuller sound.
Totem designs their speakers with cabinet resonances as part of their design.

So, IMHO, it gets down to personal preferences. How important is tight to you? How important is full/rich bass. I am firmly convinced that I could take people in a blind test and get a high preference for either speaker depending on whether I used Eagles or Steely Dan for the evaluation! This is why we should always bring our own music rather than listen to what the dealer has on tap. A salesman may have found the perfect song to showcase his most profitable speaker!

However, I would be very slow to tell anyone that they would be better off with bookshelf speakers than tower speakers from the same manufacturer/series of speakers.

However, if we look at it from the standpoint of spending equal money, the added performance from higher quality drivers is pretty compelling. The SVS speakers are a great example. You can get Prime Towers for $1000/pair or Ultra BS for $1000/pair (though you should look for B-stock, SVS B-stock blemishes seem to be of little consequence). IME, the mid-high frequency improvements of the higher grade drivers will win the day. The bass may be a closer contest, but as long as you have a good sub to play up to ~80-100Hz you won't miss much.

Halon,
I would recommend that you do your own in home test! Float a pair of the Prime Towers and a pair of the Ultra BS speakers using SVS's no-risk return policy. Get them both in your room and make your own decision.
I think the biggest problem is that you will end up deciding that you want the Ultra Towers.
Honestly, reading your comments, you are happy with your SCS/SBS, so why not go ahead and save for the Ultra towers. You have stated a preference for towers and if you have a strong orientation toward towers, you probably won't really be happy with BS speakers even if they sounded identical to the towers. No judgement from me - I know if I didn't like the way a speaker looks, I could never really be happy with it!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I browse the forums here at work on a Dell 5510 also :) It is my second system (Admin). On my $8 Amazon earbuds.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well, so far I'm really leaning towards the Paradigm Prestige 85F's and may have to stretch my budget a bit but they kinda sound like Apple earbuds to be honest. I don't know if that justifies the high price.
LOL!
Is this your "decision-maker"?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I remember comparing a couple of speakers and while listening to Eagles "Hotel California" I was thoroughly convinced that the larger speakers were better. The bass line was wonderfully full/rich.
In comparison, the bookshelf speakers were not there. The bass was not absent, but the sound was not near as rich. After that, I put on some Steely Dan, and while the bass was definitely fuller on the tower, it was tighter on the BS speaker. I think this is a general tendency. It may not be the case for every model/manufacturer, but I have seen it often enough.

IME, towers almost always have more resonance due to the physics of larger panels. Uber expensive tower speakers will go to great lengths to eliminate those resonances with bracing, etc. Very inexpensive towers are likely to have truly offensive resonances (which start to really dominate, if you crank them).
But among more mainstream products (like you are looking at), the added resonance almost always comes across as a richer, fuller sound.
Totem designs their speakers with cabinet resonances as part of their design.

So, IMHO, it gets down to personal preferences. How important is tight to you? How important is full/rich bass. I am firmly convinced that I could take people in a blind test and get a high preference for either speaker depending on whether I used Eagles or Steely Dan for the evaluation! This is why we should always bring our own music rather than listen to what the dealer has on tap. A salesman may have found the perfect song to showcase his most profitable speaker!

However, I would be very slow to tell anyone that they would be better off with bookshelf speakers than tower speakers from the same manufacturer/series of speakers.

However, if we look at it from the standpoint of spending equal money, the added performance from higher quality drivers is pretty compelling. The SVS speakers are a great example. You can get Prime Towers for $1000/pair or Ultra BS for $1000/pair (though you should look for B-stock, SVS B-stock blemishes seem to be of little consequence). IME, the mid-high frequency improvements of the higher grade drivers will win the day. The bass may be a closer contest, but as long as you have a good sub to play up to ~80-100Hz you won't miss much.

Halon,
I would recommend that you do your own in home test! Float a pair of the Prime Towers and a pair of the Ultra BS speakers using SVS's no-risk return policy. Get them both in your room and make your own decision.
I think the biggest problem is that you will end up deciding that you want the Ultra Towers.
Honestly, reading your comments, you are happy with your SCS/SBS, so why not go ahead and save for the Ultra towers. You have stated a preference for towers and if you have a strong orientation toward towers, you probably won't really be happy with BS speakers even if they sounded identical to the towers. No judgement from me - I know if I didn't like the way a speaker looks, I could never really be happy with it!
Eh these old SCS's certainly aren't winning any style points but for me looks takes a back seat to function and sound quality. I don't think I would go with regular bookshelf speakers for my fronts at this point even if they were the ultras. I do have a solid SVS sub that cranks out plenty of low end for my needs but I want larger drivers in my mains to handle mid bass demands a bit more efficiently. The little 5.25" woofers in the SCS's pack a punch but they do strain a bit under demand especially in the 100-200Hz region.

I check the SVS outlet all the time, in fact the prime center I have sitting on my cabinet right now I got a great deal on through their outlet and without a magnifying glass or hawk-like vision you'd never notice the minor blemishes. Floating the ultras and primes together would be a great idea but I honestly don't have the reserve funds on hand to do that just yet. After having just bought the new 4k TV, the new Yamaha AVR, Xbox one S and the Samsung UBD-K8500 4k player and the Prime Center speaker I'm tapped out for a bit. I'm just thinking ahead and trying to get an idea early on what to save up for. My reckless spending spree has reached its end for the time being. :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"A great party speaker with Audiophile qualities" Uh, what? And what does "North American" sound mean? This guy is a moron. This guy sounds like a politician - says a lot of stuff but none of it means anything.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You don't want Paradigm, you want Bose!
Look at the way the Bose shake that brick wall! Paradigm doesn't even come close!
Bose FTW!

Edit - j/k, I would hate for a total newbie to read this and think I was serious!

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Look at the way the Bose shake that brick wall! Paradigm doesn't even come close!
Bose FTW!
I think I literally just lost IQ points watching that...

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
The world of consumer audio is a circus from top to bottom. Thank god for the sanity that this forum offers. Lol

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The world of consumer audio is a circus from top to bottom. Thank god for the sanity that this forum offers. Lol
Give PSB an audition, both towers and bookshelves speakers. They may or may not be your cup of tea but at least you're out auditioning.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Bose FTW!

Edit - j/k, I would hate for a total newbie to read this and think I was serious!
I just had to make a comment... I might have stolen Halon's joke. :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis