Polk TSx330T vs Infinity Primus P363

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Monitors and the previous TSis were exactly the same speaker in different cabinets IMO, and the Monitor line is a definite step down from the Pioneers or Primus line to my ears.
John, I agree with YOU in that the Infinity Primus are better than the older Polk Monitor Series speakers. Not by a large margin, but certainly noticeable so to speak. As far as the AJ speakers I am NOT impressed at all.

I originally heard the AJ at my local Best Buy when they had a dedicated demo room that was HIGHLY treated. Currently, for one reason or another my local Best Buy is NOT using that room at all. As such, the Home Audio section has been moved out onto the main floor. Go figure?

Over the last 6-months or so, I have spent a lot of time at Best Buy. By doing so, I got to take a much closer look at what speakers they keep on hand. Of course, BB had the Pioneer AJ towers/bookshelfs, as well as, typical Klipsch, and/or Sony Core speakers.

Now granted out on the main floor is NOT the most ideal place to do any critical listening, I was still able to discern significant differences between them. Thus, I was totally shocked at just how bad the AJ speakers sounded compared to the others.

The Klipsch sounded just like I remember them to be: Way too bright/forward for my tastes. However, they did have a 5 1/4" bookshelf that actually sounded pretty good. But, they were also $250 a set.

Later, I decided to check out the Sony Core speakers. To be honest here, I was NOT expecting too much because they were "Sony" speakers. Did NOT even realize they were part of the "Core" series. But, holy smokes they sounded better than anything my local BB had on hand imho.

The Core towers were very well balanced with lots of detail. Imaging was also noticeably better. For a tower, bass was somewhat punchy and tight. The Cores did NOT produce the volume of bass as the Klipsch towers, but what was there was more controlled and balanced. The Klipschs sounded just a bit boomy/bloated if you will.

Lastly, I took a closer look at the Sony Core bookshelfs. Holy smokes, I was really impressed! To me, the bookshelf sounded even better than the Core tower. Imaging was certainly better and the extension was tighter/faster. Over all balance was unbelievable for this price range. I kept going back and forth between the Core tower/bookshelf and without a doubt, I much preferred the Core bookshelfs. Sony, really did a good job with the Core speakers.

I will say, I was NOT too impressed with the Sony Core center speaker. That is where Sony kind of dropped the ball so to speak. Perhaps, Sony will come out with a better Core center in the future. It would certainly be most welcome.

Cheers,

Phil

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
The reason why they're good is because of their designer, Andrew Jones. To hit that price point, they didn't invest in appearance, just sound. The cabinets, though light, are very sturdy. The Polk cabinets leave a lot to be desired and the Infinitys look great, but they really aren't as solidly built (better than the Polks) and are audibly resonant when pushed hard IMO. You have to get up into the RTiA line to get something good from Polk.
Maybe I can run across some RTi series speakers around here somewhere for comparison.

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
Since YOU are thinking about getting the Polk TSx330T towers I would opt for these instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

Very good price on the Monitor 60's. Of the Monitor towers, I preferred the 60's to the 50's/70's. The Monitor series are really good for ht applications. If YOU listen to a lot of music, then YOU may want to look at the RTi/RTiA series instead. But, I still encourage YOU to go listen to the Sony Core speakers at your local Best Buy. They really are that good for the money imho. Best wishes on YOUR decision.

Cheers,

Phil
I looked upon the Sony Core. Never really thought about them, but will add them to my list as well. There is another BB location in the metro that has a much wider selection and listening room.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I looked upon the Sony Core. Never really thought about them, but will add them to my list as well. There is another BB location in the metro that has a much wider selection and listening room.
Yeah, I think it is a good move to check out the Sony Core speakers. The Polk Ebay store and Newegg has a lot of deals on the RTi series speakers. I only paid $199 for my CSi5 center speaker. It is like really huge and sounds great. It was new with a (5) year warranty. My RTi6's are really breaking in now. Sounding better to me. May add the RTi8's before it is all said and done.

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
John, I agree with YOU in that the Infinity Primus are better than the older Polk Monitor Series speakers. Not by a large margin, but certainly noticeable so to speak. As far as the AJ speakers I am NOT impressed at all.

I originally heard the AJ at my local Best Buy when they had a dedicated demo room that was HIGHLY treated. Currently, for one reason or another my local Best Buy is NOT using that room at all. As such, the Home Audio section has been moved out onto the main floor. Go figure?

Over the last 6-months or so, I have spent a lot of time at Best Buy. By doing so, I got to take a much closer look at what speakers they keep on hand. Of course, BB had the Pioneer AJ towers/bookshelfs, as well as, typical Klipsch, and/or Sony Core speakers.

Now granted out on the main floor is NOT the most ideal place to do any critical listening, I was still able to discern significant differences between them. Thus, I was totally shocked at just how bad the AJ speakers sounded compared to the others.

The Klipsch sounded just like I remember them to be: Way too bright/forward for my tastes. However, they did have a 5 1/4" bookshelf that actually sounded pretty good. But, they were also $250 a set.

Later, I decided to check out the Sony Core speakers. To be honest here, I was NOT expecting too much because they were "Sony" speakers. Did NOT even realize they were part of the "Core" series. But, holy smokes they sounded better than anything my local BB had on hand imho.

The Core towers were very well balanced with lots of detail. Imaging was also noticeably better. For a tower, bass was somewhat punchy and tight. The Cores did NOT produce the volume of bass as the Klipsch towers, but what was there was more controlled and balanced. The Klipschs sounded just a bit boomy/bloated if you will.

Lastly, I took a closer look at the Sony Core bookshelfs. Holy smokes, I was really impressed! To me, the bookshelf sounded even better than the Core tower. Imaging was certainly better and the extension was tighter/faster. Over all balance was unbelievable for this price range. I kept going back and forth between the Core tower/bookshelf and without a doubt, I much preferred the Core bookshelfs. Sony, really did a good job with the Core speakers.

I will say, I was NOT too impressed with the Sony Core center speaker. That is where Sony kind of dropped the ball so to speak. Perhaps, Sony will come out with a better Core center in the future. It would certainly be most welcome.

Cheers,

Phil
This is why it is always best to listen for yourself :) I've owned and/or heard all of these inexpensive speakers (with the exception of the Sonys) because Fry's is literally 2 blocks from my house and Best Buy a few miles away. Of all of those inexpensive ones, I kept and bought more of the Pioneers because I liked the way they sounded.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
This is why it is always best to listen for yourself :) I've owned and/or heard all of these inexpensive speakers (with the exception of the Sonys) because Fry's is literally 2 blocks from my house and Best Buy a few miles away. Of all of those inexpensive ones, I kept and bought more of the Pioneers because I liked the way they sounded.
John, when I first heard the AJ speakers at BB I really liked what I heard. But, that was in a highly treated demo room. For some reason or another, my local BB moved their home audio section out into the main floor. When I listened to the AJ again just was NOT too impressed.

If you get a chance, be sure to listen to the Sony Core speakers. I found them to be much better than the AJ. Much more detail and fully balanced. The Core bookshelf impressed me the most as imaging was superb.

Cheers,

Phil

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
Just to add another element to this decision, out of the brands mentioned in this discussion thread, which has the better center channel speaker. Being that home theater will be the majority of use, a good solid center will be preferred. I'm currently running a Yamaha center that is pretty decent, but if I upgrade my fronts, I want to match the center.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just to add another element to this decision, out of the brands mentioned in this discussion thread, which has the better center channel speaker. Being that home theater will be the majority of use, a good solid center will be preferred. I'm currently running a Yamaha center that is pretty decent, but if I upgrade my fronts, I want to match the center.
Well, the Sony Core center certainly left a lot to be desired. I mean, it was NOT bad per se. Just not on the level of the Core tower/bookshelf. I think you know that I really didn't care for the AJ speakers. Lastly, the Polk CSi5 is absolutely HUGE and in my honest opinion sounds really good. Here is a link for YOU:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-CSi5-BLACK-RTi-Center-Channel-Speaker-NEW-/361409260006?hash=item5425aba9e6:g:ic4AAOSwAYtWH-HD

It looks like the CSi5 in Cherry is all sold out. Bre told me on the phone that she only had (3) of them right before I ordered mine. Guess, I just got lucky. Make no mistake about it, the CSi5 is really BIG and heavy. These are new and come with a (5)-year warranty! The black oak looks fantastic too, but I prefer the Cherry veneer more.

My RTi8's are in black whereas the rest of my Polks are in Cherry. No BIG deal to me as I have no WAF to deal with. Used to have, but not anymore....LOL!!!! That is MY recommendation to you. The RTi series is very good for HT and pretty good for music listening.

One last suggestion would be the Ascends 340's and the 340C center. Perhaps, the 170's in the rear. Have owned these before I can tell you first hand these are better than the Polk RTi's for sure. The Ascends are very good for HT and better for music listening when compared to the RTi/CSi Polks. Here is a link for YOU:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

These happen to be on sale right now too. YOU can add the matching stands if you want as they are on sale as well. Here is a link:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/spkstnds/pedstlcmt340.html

If I had NOT gotten my Polks, then I would have been ALL over this. The Polks veneer does look better, but the 340's/170's sound better. Not sure if YOU have a WAF to deal with. Good luck in YOUR decision! Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Phil

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
Well, the Sony Core center certainly left a lot to be desired. I mean, it was NOT bad per se. Just not on the level of the Core tower/bookshelf. I think you know that I really didn't care for the AJ speakers. Lastly, the Polk CSi5 is absolutely HUGE and in my honest opinion sounds really good. Here is a link for YOU:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-CSi5-BLACK-RTi-Center-Channel-Speaker-NEW-/361409260006?hash=item5425aba9e6:g:ic4AAOSwAYtWH-HD

It looks like the CSi5 in Cherry is all sold out. Bre told me on the phone that she only had (3) of them right before I ordered mine. Guess, I just got lucky. Make no mistake about it, the CSi5 is really BIG and heavy. These are new and come with a (5)-year warranty! The black oak looks fantastic too, but I prefer the Cherry veneer more.

My RTi8's are in black whereas the rest of my Polks are in Cherry. No BIG deal to me as I have no WAF to deal with. Used to have, but not anymore....LOL!!!! That is MY recommendation to you. The RTi series is very good for HT and pretty good for music listening.

One last suggestion would be the Ascends 340's and the 340C center. Perhaps, the 170's in the rear. Have owned these before I can tell you first hand these are better than the Polk RTi's for sure. The Ascends are very good for HT and better for music listening when compared to the RTi/CSi Polks. Here is a link for YOU:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html

These happen to be on sale right now too. YOU can add the matching stands if you want as they are on sale as well. Here is a link:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/access/spkstnds/pedstlcmt340.html

If I had NOT gotten my Polks, then I would have been ALL over this. The Polks veneer does look better, but the 340's/170's sound better. Not sure if YOU have a WAF to deal with. Good luck in YOUR decision! Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Phil
Thanks a bunch for your input Phil! I definitely have plenty of homework to do. Seems like most of the good sounding centers are going to be pretty large, but that is not too much of an issue as long as it fits on the shelf in my audio stand. I have a pretty big Yamaha center in there right now. As for the RTi8, would my receiver rated at 80w per channel be sufficient for them? Also, those Ascend speakers look pretty nice!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks a bunch for your input Phil! I definitely have plenty of homework to do. Seems like most of the good sounding centers are going to be pretty large, but that is not too much of an issue as long as it fits on the shelf in my audio stand. I have a pretty big Yamaha center in there right now. As for the RTi8, would my receiver rated at 80w per channel be sufficient for them? Also, those Ascend speakers look pretty nice!
The CSi5 barely fits in my tv stand. Like I said, it is very BIG and heavy. Out of all the speakers mentioned here, I strongly recommend the 340's and the 340C. Thus, the 340C is NOT quite as big as the CSi5. As far as the RTi8's go, they are NOT at the price I got a few days ago. The ONLY reason I bought them was the price.

If I had NOT gotten the deals on the Polk speakers, then I would have been all over the Ascends. Got some deals I just could NOT pass up. The 340's across the front is very impressive to say the least. Personally, I would put the 200's in the rears as opposed to the 170's. Good luck with YOUR decision.

Cheers,

Phil

D

Defcon

Audioholic
The Primus and AJ Pioneers come up frequently when budget deals are considered, they are both highly regarded and cheap, even more when on sale. There are thus many threads comparing them on the various audio forums.

I listened to both at local stores (fry's and BB) and decided on the P363, it sounded better to me, and the higher efficiency also makes a difference. As for center channel, I decided on a P163 placed vertically, as most center channel designs actually cause interference in the horizontal plane and a vertically placed bookshelf/tower identical to the LR is the best match sonically.

I didn't like Polk sound but that's subjective of course. Klipsch horn designs are another design worth considering if you like their sound, they are often on sale used or on ebay etc.

Personally I think the P363 at $100 each cannot be beat for value for money.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Primus and AJ Pioneers come up frequently when budget deals are considered, they are both highly regarded and cheap, even more when on sale. There are thus many threads comparing them on the various audio forums.

I listened to both at local stores (fry's and BB) and decided on the P363, it sounded better to me, and the higher efficiency also makes a difference. As for center channel, I decided on a P163 placed vertically, as most center channel designs actually cause interference in the horizontal plane and a vertically placed bookshelf/tower identical to the LR is the best match sonically.

I didn't like Polk sound but that's subjective of course. Klipsch horn designs are another design worth considering if you like their sound, they are often on sale used or on ebay etc.

Personally I think the P363 at $100 each cannot be beat for value for money.
If YOU can get the 363's for $100 each I say go for it! I am NOT a fan of the AJ speakers at all. Polk is unique in its sound signature. Some like it some don't. There usually is no in between with the Polks. I just so happen to like them. To each his won.

Not sure which of the Polks YOU have listened to, but there has been some really great deals on the RTi series at the Polk ebay store. The RTi series sounds a lot better than the Monitor series. The 363's can sound a little harsh a higher volumes and quite fatiguing. Of course, the RTi Polks can also be a tad bright at times. There is always a trade-off one way or another.

You might want to go listen to the Sony Core speakers at BB. I think they are a lot better then the AJ and/or the Infinity 363's. The matching Core center is a bit weak though. But, the towers are really good and the bookshelf is even better imho. When on sale, the Sony Core series is really hard to beat.

Cheers,

Phil

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Phil, they were the Polk Monitor series (forgot the model number). I found out about Sony Core from this forum recently and am eager to give them a listen now.

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
Great info and suggestions on this thread. Heard the AJ Pioneers and also heard the new Polk T50 at the local BB. Interestingly enough, the T50 sounded pretty decent for the price. I found the AJ to sound good with good detail. I know this is not a good environment for evaluating speakers, but it is what it is. They didn't have the Sony Core on display, so couldn't hear those. Of course to ME, the Klipsch sounded the best out of the displayed speakers but they are also the most expensive.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
It's no coincidence that you after you listen in Best Buy you rank them Pioneer, Polk, Klipsch.

These speakers have sensntivity rankings of 87 dB, 90 dB, 96 dB respectively.

In a listening environment like Best Buy, without individual equalization and balancing, a few extra dB of volume will make one speaker sound much better than another unless there are truly huge differences in sound quality or frequency response.

Not that this means the Klipsch isn't the best speaker of the group, but keep in mind that sensitivity differences can and do seriously color your perception of SQ in such an environment.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, they were the Polk Monitor series (forgot the model number). I found out about Sony Core from this forum recently and am eager to give them a listen now.
Sure hope YOU get a chance to listen to the Sony Cores. But, getting the 363's for $100 is truly a bargain.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I want to start a dollar pool on when you're sending the Polks back. :)

I
YOU have a point Alex. But, chances are it is going to be a good while before I can make that kind of change.

Cheers,

Phil

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
It's no coincidence that you after you listen in Best Buy you rank them Pioneer, Polk, Klipsch.

These speakers have sensntivity rankings of 87 dB, 90 dB, 96 dB respectively.

In a listening environment like Best Buy, without individual equalization and balancing, a few extra dB of volume will make one speaker sound much better than another unless there are truly huge differences in sound quality or frequency response.

Not that this means the Klipsch isn't the best speaker of the group, but keep in mind that sensitivity differences can and do seriously color your perception of SQ in such an environment.
I wonder how the Pioneers would sound with my Yamaha rated at 80w per channel? Being that they are less sensitive than the others, how much difference in sound quality would I notice?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I've got a "90 watt per channel" Denon (with a total power consumption of 460 watts max) and it hasn't been any sort of issue at all. I've actually got the bookshelf versions as my L/R. Do note they're 6 ohms, which shouldn't be a problem for any decent receiver, but I believe that may help them get a few more peak watts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis