Polk TSx330T vs Infinity Primus P363

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
New to this board and I am looking for a little insight.

Currently looking to upgrade my home theater front speakers. In the modest price range category, I have run across the Polk TSx330T and the Infinity Primus P363. I have had the chance to hear the Polks and compared to what I have, they are a definite improvement, however, many have mentioned the Infinity as an even better choice. After reading the review on this site for the Inifinity, I am curious as to how the Polk TSx would compare. It appears as though the Polks are built with higher quality components and better build quality. Also, that 4ohm issue with the Infinity is a minor concern. I am currently running a Yamaha RX V475 @ 80w per channel.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
New to this board and I am looking for a little insight.

Currently looking to upgrade my home theater front speakers. In the modest price range category, I have run across the Polk TSx330T and the Infinity Primus P363. I have had the chance to hear the Polks and compared to what I have, they are a definite improvement, however, many have mentioned the Infinity as an even better choice. After reading the review on this site for the Inifinity, I am curious as to how the Polk TSx would compare. It appears as though the Polks are built with higher quality components and better build quality. Also, that 4ohm issue with the Infinity is a minor concern. I am currently running a Yamaha RX V475 @ 80w per channel.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't be concerned about the power issue. If you liked the Polks I would go ahead with those. I can't recommend that you buy a speaker blind.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, even better than the Infinitys at this price point would be the Andrew Jones Pioneers if you can go listen to them. Infinity cabinets were not that impressive, but neither is anything in the lower lines of Polk. Build quality is pretty much going to be very similar at this price point, so it comes down to what sounds best to you. I agree, if you liked the Polks, you may want to just go with those.

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
IMO, even better than the Infinitys at this price point would be the Andrew Jones Pioneers if you can go listen to them. Infinity cabinets were not that impressive, but neither is anything in the lower lines of Polk. Build quality is pretty much going to be very similar at this price point, so it comes down to what sounds best to you. I agree, if you liked the Polks, you may want to just go with those.
Yes, that Pioneer is another I have been hearing good things about. Will see if I can hear those as well.

As for the quality thing, I remember reading in the review on the P363 that the crossovers (for example) were of the lesser quality (electrolytic capacitors), where as the crossover in the Polks utilize mylar capacitors, which are said to be much better. Does stuff like that REALLY matter in this range?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Proper design of the x-over for the drivers is likely more significant than the components used at this price point IMO.

The real drawback with the Pioneers is the plain appearance, but I compared the Infinitys to the Pioneers and preferred the Pioneers. That's where you need to go listen though, as you may like the Polks more.

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
Proper design of the x-over for the drivers is likely more significant than the components used at this price point IMO.

The real drawback with the Pioneers is the plain appearance, but I compared the Infinitys to the Pioneers and preferred the Pioneers. That's where you need to go listen though, as you may like the Polks more.
Will definitely go take a listen. Thanks for the insight.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have heard the Pioneers, Infinitys, and Polks, I would swing for the Infinities between them, with the Polks finishing dead last in that race. Your receiver will be able to handle any of these speakers, but if you crank it real hard running the speakers full range, you risk shutting down the AVR. You would have to run them pretty hard for that to happen though, so it is not something I would worry about.

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
I have heard the Pioneers, Infinitys, and Polks, I would swing for the Infinities between them, with the Polks finishing dead last in that race. Your receiver will be able to handle any of these speakers, but if you crank it real hard running the speakers full range, you risk shutting down the AVR. You would have to run them pretty hard for that to happen though, so it is not something I would worry about.
Thanks for the input. I wish there were somewhere that had the Infinity Primus on display to hear, but no joy. It gets a lot of positive reviews in this price range.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I have owned the Infinity Primus and AJ Pioneer speakers, as well as, lots of Polk Monitor and RTi series speakers. In fact, I am listening to my new RTi6's along with the CSi5 center as we speak. There is no doubt the Polk RTi series is the much better choice.

Polk speakers have a certain sound signature that YOU will either like or YOU won't. At least, that is what I have found. The Infinity Primus speakers are good for the money. But, I highly recommend YOU go give the Sony Core speakers a listen at YOUR local Best Buy. They are much better than the AJ, Polk Monitor, and/or the Infinity Primus. When on sale, they will be hard to beat imho.

Good deals on the Polk RTi series of speakers can be had on the Polk Ebay site. Newegg also sales a lot of Polk speakers via Ebay. Have bought from both and I highly recommend them. Good luck with YOUR choice.

Cheers,

Phil

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I have owned the Polk Monitor series as well as the Andrew Jones Pioneers. For home theater use, the Pioneers blow the Polks away.

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
I have owned the Infinity Primus and AJ Pioneer speakers, as well as, lots of Polk Monitor and RTi series speakers. In fact, I am listening to my new RTi6's along with the CSi5 center as we speak. There is no doubt the Polk RTi series is the much better choice.

Polk speakers have a certain sound signature that YOU will either like or YOU won't. At least, that is what I have found. The Infinity Primus speakers are good for the money. But, I highly recommend YOU go give the Sony Core speakers a listen at YOUR local Best Buy. They are much better than the AJ, Polk Monitor, and/or the Infinity Primus. When on sale, they will be hard to beat imho.

Good deals on the Polk RTi series of speakers can be had on the Polk Ebay site. Newegg also sales a lot of Polk speakers via Ebay. Have bought from both and I highly recommend them. Good luck with YOUR choice.

Cheers,

Phil
Thanks for the advice! I currently have an older set of Polk entry level floor speakers that have served me well for a number of years and I have been satisfied with them, but it is definitely time for an upgrade. Funny you mentioned the RTi series as I was recently looking at a the RTi8 series for sale on newegg. They seem to get very good reviews and are recommended above the other speakers I mentioned.

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
I have owned the Polk Monitor series as well as the Andrew Jones Pioneers. For home theater use, the Pioneers blow the Polks away.
The AJ Pioneer is that much better for home theater? How about for music?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the advice! I currently have an older set of Polk entry level floor speakers that have served me well for a number of years and I have been satisfied with them, but it is definitely time for an upgrade. Funny you mentioned the RTi series as I was recently looking at a the RTi8 series for sale on newegg. They seem to get very good reviews and are recommended above the other speakers I mentioned.
Thinking about getting the RTi8's myself. I prefer them to the RTi10/12's. The RTi6's are NOT small by any means. The CSi5 center is HUGE! Loving my set-up. The Cherry is so pretty too.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The AJ Pioneer is that much better for home theater? How about for music?
The difference is less dramatic with music. The Polks are a little muddy, perhaps, where the Pioneers have some more clarity.

I also have some NHT speakers, which are just phenomenal for music and spoil my opinion.

Houston1906

Houston1906

Audioholic Intern
The difference is less dramatic with music. The Polks are a little muddy, perhaps, where the Pioneers have some more clarity.

I also have some NHT speakers, which are just phenomenal for music and spoil my opinion.
Interesting. I recently saw the AJ Pioneers on display at the local BB. They were not hooked up, but I did get to examine them. They definitely don't look like much, but everyone speaks very highly of these speakers. I see they utilize three 5 1/4 drivers. Would this setup offer better performance than two 6 1/2 drivers? Never really been a Pioneer fan, other than their Elite series, so I never really had them on my radar. Maybe I can find another location that has them hooked up so that I can hear them.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
They are definitely not impressive or attractive speakers, that's for sure. They look especially silly with the covers off, given how small the drivers are relative to the cabinet.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting. I recently saw the AJ Pioneers on display at the local BB. They were not hooked up, but I did get to examine them. They definitely don't look like much, but everyone speaks very highly of these speakers. I see they utilize three 5 1/4 drivers. Would this setup offer better performance than two 6 1/2 drivers? Never really been a Pioneer fan, other than their Elite series, so I never really had them on my radar. Maybe I can find another location that has them hooked up so that I can hear them.
The reason why they're good is because of their designer, Andrew Jones. To hit that price point, they didn't invest in appearance, just sound. The cabinets, though light, are very sturdy. The Polk cabinets leave a lot to be desired and the Infinitys look great, but they really aren't as solidly built (better than the Polks) and are audibly resonant when pushed hard IMO. You have to get up into the RTiA line to get something good from Polk.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Since YOU are thinking about getting the Polk TSx330T towers I would opt for these instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290206

Very good price on the Monitor 60's. Of the Monitor towers, I preferred the 60's to the 50's/70's. The Monitor series are really good for ht applications. If YOU listen to a lot of music, then YOU may want to look at the RTi/RTiA series instead. But, I still encourage YOU to go listen to the Sony Core speakers at your local Best Buy. They really are that good for the money imho. Best wishes on YOUR decision.

Cheers,

Phil

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Monitors and the previous TSis were exactly the same speaker in different cabinets IMO, and the Monitor line is a definite step down from the Pioneers or Primus line to my ears.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis