Zone 2 Volume Control

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
My next step in the audio realm is to set up speakers in the kitchen to run off a Yamaha rxv-765 receiver located in the living room. I was thinking the kitchen speakers would run off Zone 2, and that I'll need set up volume control for the kitchen. I just don't know where to begin with the volume control - help!

Thanks!

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
Are you asking how you can control volume while in the kitchen?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My next step in the audio realm is to set up speakers in the kitchen to run off a Yamaha rxv-765 receiver located in the living room. I was thinking the kitchen speakers would run off Zone 2, and that I'll need set up volume control for the kitchen. I just don't know where to begin with the volume control - help!

Thanks!
If you have a receiver that has the ability to continually vary the Zone 2 volume, just use that command with your remote, or a universal remote with RF, so you don't need to worry about line of sight. If it can only be varied in large increments, I would use a separate volume control in the kitchen and leave the receiver's volume at -0dB. If you don't have more rooms that need speakers and volume controls, you'll be done with just the one control. If you want speakers in a lot more rooms and low power is OK, use an impedance matching device and volume controls in each room.

If you need more power in some zones, like a patio or large outdoor space, a multi-channel , like the Dayton MA-1240 will work well. It has 12 channels/6 zones, separate level control for each channel, 2 separate input channels (if some rooms don't need the same source as others) and each channel is bridgeable. It can be turned on when the signal starts, left on and controlled with a remote controlled outlet or a 5VDC-24VDC trigger voltage. Another benefit is that you can use one speaker per channel and you won't need to worry as much about impedance- it's OK to connect it to a 4 Ohm load.

I like to use muting volume controls, so nobody will be startled when the system turns on- the control has a muting button that illuminates when the system turns on and no sound is produced unless the mute button has been pressed or you want to program the control to allow sound as soon as it turns on (it can be set either way). Niles makes these- MVC-100 or MVC-100IR (IR sensor).

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
Are you asking how you can control volume while in the kitchen?
Yes, sorry. I know I'd like a volume control in the kitchen, but I don't know what they look like, how they work, decent manufators, or cost.

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
If you are looking at a dedicated volume control in the kitchen, you have three (basic) options: (at the risk of repeating some of highfigh's post)

1. Remote control RF capability or an IR repeater. (best buy or radioshack, et al. prob 30 bucks plus remote of your choice)
2. Wall-installed, impedance matching volume control. (Installs in a typical light switch box. Ease of installation depends on your carpentry/electrical skills)
3. Tabletop impedance matching volume control.

Niles Audio makes both for 2 and 3. Look for the TVC-1 tabletop model. Pros(for 3): dead simple. Wire it in and you're done. Cons: Need to leave zone 2 volume above max volume that you want in kitchen; still have to go to the living room for any other receiver operations; "stepped" volume control. Cons (for 2): In-wall construction and wiring.

Your least expensive option is (1) and there are many brands out there. Pros: better volume control; depending on your remote, the ability to perform other receiver/component operation while in the kitchen. Cons: More clutter with the Repeaters and remotes in both rooms.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis