killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This will be a short lived thread!:D But I'm really interested.

Zagreb AV Show

Is taking place in my neck of the... You know. I've noticed some Europeans in these forums and a couple of people from neighboring countries.

Is someone visiting this show?

P.S.: (entry fee is 3$:D:D:D)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Good point. I think RAAL is Serbian and although there's a lot of trade going on between our countries, an occasional resentment resurfaces. Who knows, maybe that's the case. Big interest goes right over these sentiments, but on an individual level not as much.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Good point. I think RAAL is Serbian and although there's a lot of trade going on between our countries, an occasional resentment resurfaces. Who knows, maybe that's the case. Big interest goes right over these sentiments, but on an individual level not as much.
Kind of the way opposing governments can be at odds, but the citizens of both sides can get along because they understand that the problem is political, not personal?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Kind of the way opposing governments can be at odds, but the citizens of both sides can get along because they understand that the problem is political, not personal?
I'm afraid it's gov + some of the people. There is some misplaced nationalism here fueled by political PR looking for votes at any cost. Not all people fall for this, obviously.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm afraid it's gov + some of the people. There is some misplaced nationalism here fueled by political PR looking for votes at any cost. Not all people fall for this, obviously.
I think a lot of these problems has to do with a warped perception of what's happening.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
It's only fair to bring you a report. From my point of view this was an excellent little show. I just don't see it as profitable for the organizers. I hope they know what they're doing.

First of all, there was no B2B here. This was an end-consumer oriented show. And since it was almost all home audio, consumers are audio aficionados. Also, it was organized on behalf of distributors and dealerships and supported by an audio magazine hifiplus. So I would describe this as truly audiophile. I guess hoping to get deep pocket audience and eventually sell something.

It was organized in a hotel, Hotel Sheraton, which was great since it wasn't open space hall. It was actually in a number of small congress rooms. Now this was brilliant, it was like having 8 to 10 dedicated listening rooms, most of them having 2 or 3 setups and if you had the time you could have heard them all. Around 20 of 2.0 or 2.1 system configurations. In hotels it's all thick carpeting and padded walls. Great.

OTOH, this type of show doesn't really bring the latest, the newest and the hottest. It's for shops to boast with what they sell. But that's OK.

Here are some pics and short comments.

upload_2017-10-29_8-37-42.jpeg

This is where I heard the Davis Acoustics. These guys import a lot of stuff. I have my Grado thanks to them but I didn't buy directly from them. Davis sounded awful, but I blame the guy who set it up. They sounded like a radio clock. I think that's Exposure DAC seen in the pic.

upload_2017-10-29_8-41-57.jpeg

This is where I got the chance to hear the new 700 series. I really liked this room. This was much closer to my budget and something to realistically think about. The sub was on, but the guy didn't know squat. All he could tell me was that the mains are playing full range. He didn't understand the question about the XO point (welcome to Croatia). I started walking around the room to find where the bass was fullest, he asked me if I'm alright.:)

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
upload_2017-10-29_8-45-57.jpeg

Nothing to really see here, but I put it because this is the only HT room and this is AC/DC in concert. The pic below shows what is playing. This projector was mighty, mighty fine. Sound was good (meh), I don't think AC/DC can really demonstrate all there is. Highest and deepest are nowhere to be found.
upload_2017-10-29_8-48-34.jpeg

I don't know the number of subwoofers.

upload_2017-10-29_8-49-32.jpeg

Now this was something crazy. Jeff Rowland amp, Clear Audio TT and some Logans. The sound was really all they say it would be. Airy, not pin-pointed, somehow spacious (or was it all in my head). Really different sounding. I sat for half an hour, it glued me. Some lady was murdering the Famous Blue Raincoat originally from Cohen (she was terrible), but I guess it was used because of all the instruments in the song that they used this rendition.

upload_2017-10-29_8-56-55.jpeg

This one was very strange. With speakers toed in, moving one chair to aside in any direction made you not hear the other speaker AT ALL. You can probably make out Leben electronics, but the star or "star" of the room was the tracking TT. I wasn't impresed. It sounded good as long as you're sitting in the dead center of the speakers. I'm telling you, moving one seat aside and it was mono.

upload_2017-10-29_9-5-11.jpeg

These guys bring a lot of good stuff in the country. Here presenting ATC (some may remember these were close second when I was buying, I think it was @KenM10759 who pointed out some resonance in the closure that might even be audible). This was my opportunity to see Aurender at work as it is extremely expensive gear. This was ATC SCM19.

upload_2017-10-29_9-14-0.jpeg

This was the top of my audio enjoyment. Not only because I like Luxman, but because the sound was heavenly. Playing here pure ClassA Luxman 2x20 into 8 and 2x40 into 4 solid state with some ridiculous "lectricity purifiers" (who gives a damn, the sound was good). These amazing Avantgarde Acoustics Zero were playing (the ones that are partly active - only the woofer, you need the amp for horn type midds and tweeter, which is why I guess the amp would suffice). The black ones in the pic. Woofer being active, I guess you do take some load of the amp to a certain extent. From the top, the new Luxman TT, belt drive but with SME 309 tone arm. This was the case where I couldn't tell if it was a record playing if it was a well kept one. We listened to some SACD's.

Beneath the TT you have a Phono amp, then the SACD and the amp at the bottom all coming from Luxman. I didn't get to hear these Tannoy's and compare the directivity with the other room that had them.

These horn based Avantgarde were very easy listening, I was sitting here until the end of the show. Never got tired.

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
And you get free copies of the magazine in question:
upload_2017-10-29_9-51-37.jpeg

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
upload_2017-10-29_16-27-24.jpeg

This was a place where the price of the cables could put your kids through college. They insisted on some acapella music and the voices were great, but not much else. Ubiq is a Slovenian brand (Melania's home country).

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Wow, $3? I'll book a flight right now. ;)

Oh, wait, That may be a fortune.

ps. oh, I may have missed out. Next time.
No, I know it's not for you Yanks. I've noticed some Euro-trash lately in these forums so I thought perhaps someone is coming from my country or neighboring countries.

Although, You'd have a place to crash no questions asked.

Back to the topic, this was the needle, in case anyone's interested:

The pic is from the Internet as you can see. This needle was on the Luxman TT, not Clear Audio.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
In the Luxman/Avantgarde Acoustics room, one of the recording was this:

upload_2017-10-30_16-30-1.jpeg

Exactly the 200g vinyl one. From what I see around the web it is a respectable remaster. Sound was great, but the music was meaningless IMO. On an unrelated note, with all the "compression" jive, funny thing here is that I believe they were using the compression effect (pedals) while playing (in chain before recording), I think they needed that for live performance. Strings are just all jacked up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis