Yup. Another "whatta-ya-think" question

J

Jack N

Audioholic
I’m certainly not a “sub” expert, and I’m in the market for a clean sounding sub that meets the 5 criteria points that I’ve come up with. The 5 points are: 1) It must be powered 2) It must be clean sounding 3) It must be clean sounding 4) It must be clean sounding, and 5) It must be a good value and cost less than $1k. Did I mention that it must be clean sounding ? Musicality takes precedence over movies. Because of the dollar cap, I realize that buying used is a very real possibility. Consequently, what is looking good to me right now is a used Mirage BPS-400 for 3 reasons – 1) Very hard to beat bang for the buck because they are all used 2) Very good reviews on audioreview.com and audio publications 3) Cosmetically a perfect match for my other piano gloss black speakers.

I would like your feedback if you have personally listened to this sub, and tell me how it stacks up against other subs that you’ve listened to – Is there a better buy ?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Jack N said:
I’m certainly not a “sub” expert, and I’m in the market for a clean sounding sub that meets the 5 criteria points that I’ve come up with. The 5 points are: 1) It must be powered 2) It must be clean sounding 3) It must be clean sounding 4) It must be clean sounding, and 5) It must be a good value and cost less than $1k. Did I mention that it must be clean sounding ? Musicality takes precedence over movies. Because of the dollar cap, I realize that buying used is a very real possibility. Consequently, what is looking good to me right now is a used Mirage BPS-400 for 3 reasons – 1) Very hard to beat bang for the buck because they are all used 2) Very good reviews on audioreview.com and audio publications 3) Cosmetically a perfect match for my other piano gloss black speakers.

I would like your feedback if you have personally listened to this sub, and tell me how it stacks up against other subs that you’ve listened to – Is there a better buy ?

Have you considered the SVS line? Maybe one of their cylinder types?

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Jack N said:

What is your room size in cubic feet? Thats the next piece of the puzzle needed.

Nick

J

Jack N

Audioholic
The room will be 15x45x8. 5400 cubic feet.

Just a friendly reminder - I'm looking for people who have personally listened to the sub that I mentioned and are able to compare it to other subs.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
That is a hugh room and if you want to fill the whole area, I suspect at least two fairly potent subs would be necessary. I have not heard the 400 so I will leave it at that.

Nick

J

Jack N

Audioholic
I've been contemplating about using two subs. Obviously the first thing that comes to mind when I say that is comb-filtering, however I’ve already made plans to acoustically analyze and treat the room anyway.

Anybody have experience with the sub I mentioned ?

If not, let me alter the question a little bit. If you have experience with more than 1 model of sub, which one would you recommend, and why ?

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
If you have a little bit of time to wait, the new AV123 MFW-15 was unveiled at the Chicago GTG. In room -3dB was said to be 17Hz.

2 will be right under 1k but with shipping likely to be around 1300 or so.

Just another log to chuck in the fire! I have two on preorder for a 15x24' room. With a room your size you might even need 4 pretty hefty subs.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
If you're using all 45 feet of that room you'll probably want to increase your budget and seek multiple subs.

If all your seating locations are in the first 20 feet or so, you can get away with alot less.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Jack N said:
I've been contemplating about using two subs. Obviously the first thing that comes to mind when I say that is comb-filtering,

Not to worry at the low frequencies. Good research at Harman indicates 4 subs gives you even better, flatter response.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
4 hefty subs? That's crazy talk.

My father has an SVS PB12-Plus/2 in an 8000 cubic foot room and it seems to be more than enough. The glasses in the kitchen at the other end of the house and one floor up rattle with the gain about half way up. I can't imagine what two would be like.

I have an Ultra and it's cleaner, but wouldn't recommend one now -- new Ultras are coming out in a couple months.

However, if you want a nice clean sounding sub under 1k, check out the HSU VTF-3 HO with Turbo. It gives up a little impact, but many people say HSU's are more musical subs than SVS's.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
abboudc said:
4 hefty subs? That's crazy talk.

My father has an SVS PB12-Plus/2 in an 8000 cubic foot room and it seems to be more than enough. The glasses in the kitchen at the other end of the house and one floor up rattle with the gain about half way up. I can't imagine what two would be like.

I have an Ultra and it's cleaner, but wouldn't recommend one now -- new Ultras are coming out in a couple months.

However, if you want a nice clean sounding sub under 1k, check out the HSU VTF-3 HO with Turbo. It gives up a little impact, but many people say HSU's are more musical subs than SVS's.
I highly doubt your single sub plays as flat as 4 subs.

SheepStar

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Jack N said:
What is "Harman" ?

Harman International with the research and engineering headed by Dr. Toole who spent 20 years or so at NRC in Canada researching speakers and the human interface.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis