M

mx4lifeis350

Enthusiast
I just set up all the AV stuff on my almost finished room. I try to Auto setup with the YPAO but its giving me the PHASE warning.. I checked all my connections and everything is good...

The only difference is that for now, my right surround is connected with different speaker wire. All the other ones use 2 gauge C2 wire from monoprice and the other one has slightly bigger Radio Shack wire (until i order more wire from monoprice)

Could this be the problem? Anyone out there have similar problems with this V465 receiver??

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
When you say the connections are good, do you mean the polarity is correct?
Red to red black to black?
If they are correct set the wiring option in YPAO to pass when you enter the auto set-up.
This is a fairly common error by YPAO.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I just set up all the AV stuff on my almost finished room. I try to Auto setup with the YPAO but its giving me the PHASE warning.. I checked all my connections and everything is good...

The only difference is that for now, my right surround is connected with different speaker wire. All the other ones use 2 gauge C2 wire from monoprice and the other one has slightly bigger Radio Shack wire (until i order more wire from monoprice)

Could this be the problem? Anyone out there have similar problems with this V465 receiver??
2 gauge?

The wire gauge won't cause a phase issue. In-wall speakers- verify the phase of the woofers.

M

mx4lifeis350

Enthusiast
Yes thats what i mean the Red is on Red and the Black on Black. Ill check out the menu thing.

Yes its 2 gauge C2 speaker wire but its not in the walls. I have it under the carpet and the speakers are regular speakers not In wall speakers. ..

Now that you mention it, i did not use the normal single subwoofer cable. I used a Monster cables Red White and Yellow cable. Not all of them just the white one. Might this be causing the problem? Do i need a subwoofer cable specifically?.... hmm i am going to try it right now.

Well it was not the sub... I disconnected the 2 back speakers to rule out the different cables and it still gives me the Phase warning so i guess ill double check the 3 front speakers. In the YPAO menu , I don't know what you mean making it Pass? You mean at the end after the warning just accept the setting and leave it at that?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes thats what i mean the Red is on Red and the Black on Black. Ill check out the menu thing.

Yes its 2 gauge C2 speaker wire but its not in the walls. I have it under the carpet and the speakers are regular speakers not In wall speakers. ..

Now that you mention it, i did not use the normal single subwoofer cable. I used a Monster cables Red White and Yellow cable. Not all of them just the white one. Might this be causing the problem? Do i need a subwoofer cable specifically?.... hmm i am going to try it right now.

Well it was not the sub... I disconnected the 2 back speakers to rule out the different cables and it still gives me the Phase warning so i guess ill double check the 3 front speakers. In the YPAO menu , I don't know what you mean making it Pass? You mean at the end after the warning just accept the setting and leave it at that?
This has come up before with YPAO. Many speakers have to have the tweeter wired out of phase with the woofer, or the mid out of phase with woofer and tweeter. This is to prevent a dip in response at crossover and produce an improved overall phase response. A though I have to say I try and avoid having to have drivers in reverse polarity and so do most good designers. YPAO insists this driver reverse polarity is an out of phase condition which it is not, and makes the program not useful. Basically that system is best left off anyway.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
This has come up before with YPAO. Many speakers have to have the tweeter wired out of phase with the woofer, or the mid out of phase with woofer and tweeter. This is to prevent a dip in response at crossover and produce an improved overall phase response. A though I have to say I try and avoid having to have drivers in reverse polarity and so do most good designers. YPAO insists this driver reverse polarity is an out of phase condition which it is not, and makes the program not useful. Basically that system is best left off anyway.
Agreed this system is ineffective IMO. I suggest calibrating speakers using your ears. This will set it for your typical listening position and make it appropriate for your hearing condition. You can use an SPL meter, but the human ear is very reliable too.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed this system is ineffective IMO. I suggest calibrating speakers using your ears. This will set it for your typical listening position and make it appropriate for your hearing condition. You can use an SPL meter, but the human ear is very reliable too.
While I agree with you that YPAO is rubbish, the human ear is not a reliable instrument for calibration. An SPL meter is your best tool.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
That's some really thick wire. Does it make a big lump under the carpet?

M

mx4lifeis350

Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I guess ill get a calibration dvd for my video and audio and start there.

No it does not make a big bulge on the carpet because of the way i installed it. I pulled back the carpet and removed the little nail boards that go along the edge of the carpet. The size of the board is exactly were the wires go so the carpet looks like if it still had the nail boards under it but its actually the wires. No one really walks at the edge of the carpet anyways.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
No it does not make a big bulge on the carpet because of the way i installed it. I pulled back the carpet and removed the little nail boards that go along the edge of the carpet. The size of the board is exactly were the wires go so the carpet looks like if it still had the nail boards under it but its actually the wires. No one really walks at the edge of the carpet anyways.
Hope the other issue works out for you.

How did you get it to fit in the lugs on the receiver and speakers?
2-AWG would make a nice pair of jumper cables.:)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
While I agree with you that YPAO is rubbish, the human ear is not a reliable instrument for calibration. An SPL meter is your best tool.
I used to think that, but upon further thought, a person's ears are the best instrument to level match any system to their ears. An SPL meter won't compensate for hearing loss in the right ear. ;) SPL meter's are best for eqing for sure, but even then verifying you like the sound signature is important. Now if you are calibrating for an event. You should use an SPL meter, but for personal viewing or even viewing with the wife who thinks it sounds no better than her computer speakers.:rolleyes: I've found the ears do the best job.

Personal tastes can dictate a hot center or sub.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
I used to think that, but upon further thought, a person's ears are the best instrument to level match any system to their ears. An SPL meter won't compensate for hearing loss in the right ear. ;) SPL meter's are best for eqing for sure, but even then verifying you like the sound signature is important. Now if you are calibrating for an event. You should use an SPL meter, but for personal viewing or even viewing with the wife who thinks it sounds no better than her computer speakers.:rolleyes: I've found the ears do the best job.

Personal tastes can dictate a hot center or sub.
For speakers, yeah you can get it within a couple dBs in a pinch by switching back and forth while playing test tones. But I don't see any way you can match a subwoofer by ear. Our sensitivity is so much lower in the bass region that I can't even begin to estimate it. Maybe I'm just deaf?

I do agree with tweaking the sub levels to taste though.

6L6X4

6L6X4

Audioholic
Audyssey tells me one of my surrounds is out of phase, so I reversed its polarity and it still says its out of phase. :confused: These are single driver speakers, so AFAIK they are either in phase or out of phase. I don't see how Audyssey can claim both polarities are out of phase.

Oh well, it offers the option to continue with the setup despite its detection of the phase issue.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
For speakers, yeah you can get it within a couple dBs in a pinch by switching back and forth while playing test tones. But I don't see any way you can match a subwoofer by ear. Our sensitivity is so much lower in the bass region that I can't even begin to estimate it. Maybe I'm just deaf?

I do agree with tweaking the sub levels to taste though.
This doesn't matter nearly as much because most people prefer a house curve anyway.

S

skers_54

Full Audioholic
Once I got my SPL meter and could level match, I found that my sub blended much better with my mains. From my recollection of house curves, there is a smooth transition at the crossover point which isn't present if you don't have the LF driver more or less level matched with the mains. YMMV obviously.

M

mx4lifeis350

Enthusiast
I really have no idea what you guys are talking about. I don't know much about sound calibration, crossovers and all that, thats why i wanted the Yamaha to self calibrate.

HAHA ups!! Its not 2 AWG its 12 AWG speaker wire.

Another question just so i don't have to start another thread. By reading online it tells me that the optimum viewing distance for a 40 inch screen is about 6 feet. I placed my couch at 6 feet away and my front speakers at exactly 30 degrees and my surrounds at 110 degrees and 1.5 feet over ear level. But 6 Feet from the screen is a bit too close for me. So if i move my couch about 2 feet back and have my surrounds at about 90 degrees, do i have to remeasure for the front speakers? Do i really HAVE to have that 30 degrees?? It just feels like a pain to measure everything again. Should i not bother measuring and just spread them about 1 foot to each side with still about 1 foot from the walls?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
YPAO is not rubbish and I've used it effectively twice when changing rooms. If YPAO says the speaker is out of phase, then skip the phase part. It will balance the levels very accurtaely as well as provide corrections to the frequewncy response due to bad acoustic intercation with the room. No handheld meter or ear can do that. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis