YPAO Multipoint - center image question

R

robjamell

Audiophyte
I bought a RX-A4A and was looking forward to benefitting from the YPAO multipoint during setup. I did the setup and feel as though it widened my center image during movies, which I believe is how it is intended to work, however this creates a big negative on 2 channel music.

When listening with the "straight" setting, I get 2 channel with subwoofer, but my center image is not centered. I am trying to see how I can work around that without using the center channel speaker.

In other words, I like how the image centers in "pure direct", but want EQ and sub.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What are the level trim settings for l/r speakers? You've tested with a wide variety of material and the image stays on the same side of the center?

R

robjamell

Audiophyte
To clarify, I believe it is how the multipoint is designed to work so that it spreads the center sound channel to the two outside speakers so that those on the sides can also be in the "sweet spot". The sweet spot just becomes very large. Then when you play in 2 channel mode(no center speaker), what is left is vocal-heaviness on the sides.

So I was hoping someone has a workaround since there does not seem to be a way to adjust or turn that effect off completely once it is set by YPAO.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are the LR toed in at all? I’d start there. IME the best phantom imaging usually comes from the mains having some toe in. Also as hd mentioned make sure the mains are level matched with an spl meter. If one is trimmed higher, the image will be pulled to that side. If it’s just vocal heavy on both mains then you need to try some toe, and possibly move them closer together. How far apart are they?

R

robjamell

Audiophyte
I really appreciate the replies, however based on the responses, I must not be explaining well.

With the YPAO disengaged and in 2-channel mode, it sounds like any quality system with a strong center image and wide deep sound stage.

I have not done it yet, but I suspect if I redo the YPAO and choose single location setup instead of multi location setup, it would be fine. Meaning, in 2 channel mode would sound fine, however I suspect when listening to surround, the people sitting on the edges would no longer be part of the sweet spot.

Here is how Yamaha describes the feature:

YPAO Multipoint Measurement adds the capability of taking measurements at up to eight different locations in your seating area, sending that information to the YPAO processor about the acoustics of these additional locations, not just your prime seating position.

Physics makes it impossible for every location in your room to be calibrated perfectly, but that’s not the goal. In all likelihood, you won’t be watching your favorite movie or TV show (or listening to your favorite recording) while leaning up against a wall somewhere in the room — you’ll probably be sitting in the prime listening location (the “sweet spot”) in front of the TV or receiver and somewhere close to equidistant from the main front speakers. By including additional information in the calibration calculation, Multipoint Measurement makes the sweet spot bigger so that music and movies are more enjoyable for the rest of the family seated in the general area.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Try setting YOAO to flat and engage the multi speaker program if the newer units still have it . If your mains are set to small and you are utilizing a sub it should sound very good 2 .1 channel or 8 channel. I assume you have subs in play to do this .

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm still not sure I understand your assumption/experience here. Then again I don't speak Yamaha mode names either. How/where did you place the mic for the multiple mic position setup?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis