Your favorite SACD and DVD-A?

A

alpharetta

Audioholic Intern
All:

I am newbie to Surround system and I recently got my system setup. Now it's time to test and enjoy it. I would love to collect the great multi channel music collection. Could you please list out 5 most favorite SACD discs and 5 most favorite DVD-A. I will not have all money to buy SACD and DVD-A all at at once, probarly will buy 1 or 2 per month. I appreciate if you could give me the online store or music store in Atlanata where the price is reasonable. Many Thanks. Alpharetta.

So far I have got:

DVD-A:
The Complex - Blue Man group
The Nightfly - Donalk Fagen
Koyaanisqatsi - Philip Glass
Havest - Neil Young
Song for Survivors - Graham Nash
Brazilian Jazz
The Buena Vista Social Club - World circuit/nonesuch
Dianal Krall Live in Paris - Dianal Krall Band
Hotel California- Eagles
Deadwing - Porcupine Tree
In Absentia - Porcupine Tree

SACD:
New Favorite - Alison Krauss + Union Station
Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd
RS500 - Super Audio CD Sampler
Tommy (Deluxe Edition) - The who

O

ozdvduser

Audioholic Intern
SACD
Brothers In Arms (BIA) - Dire Straits
War of The Worlds (WOTW) - Jeff Wayne
A Treasury - Nick Drake

DVD-A
The Best of REM - R.E.M.

R

Rik

Audioholic
SACD: "The Other Side" by Godsmack is a mostly acoustic release. You don't have to be a fan of heavy music to really enjoy this disc.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
Nin...

...The downward spiral on DVD-A. So far it's my only dvd -a, but the sound is waaaayy better than the regular cd version. BTW, the regular cd is included on side-b of the disc.

Jeff

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Favourite SACDs in my collection are:
Peter Gabriel -- Up
Pink Floyd -- Dark Side of the Moon
The Police -- Every Breath You Take: The Classics
The Rolling Stones -- Singles Collection: The London Years (3 discs, stereo)

Favourite DVD-As in my collection are:
The Blue Man Group -- The Complex
Tom Cochrane & Red Rider -- Trapeze: The Collection
The Polyphonic Spree -- Together We're Heavy
Queen -- A Night at the Opera

Incidentally, I listened to that Koyaanisqatsi DVD-A, and found it unbelievable boring. Why Philip Glass gets such respect, I'll never know. Then again, I loved his stuff on the soundtrack to The Truman Show.

I considered adding R.E.M. -- In Time: The Best of R.E.M. to my list of DVD-As, but for me personally, the use of surround on this disc isn't terribly spectacular. Good, but not worthy of going on my list of favourites.

cheers,
supervij

Matt34

Matt34

Thanks to this thread I just ordered $75 in SACD and DVD-As.:p

Matt34

Matt34

supervij said:
Which ones?

cheers,
supervij
BMG "The Complex" DVD-A

Godsmack "The Otherside" SACD

Alison Krauss + Union Station SACD

Staind "14 Shades of grey" DVD-A

Distrubed "Believe" DVD-A

H

hankdog

Audioholic Intern
good dvd-a and sacd

for dvd-a try steve stevens -flamenco a go go, fleetwood mac rumors queensryche empire. for sacd try eric clapton slowhand , aerosmith toys in the attic,rolling stones hot rocks or let it bleed

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
Definitly get the Dark Side of the Moon sacd. It is amazing. The quality is insane and sounds great in both stereo and multichannel modes. Definitly my favorite

Also for DVD-A look into Brain Salad Surgery by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. This is also one of my favorites especially with the bonus track Lucky Man at the end

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There's already a few of these threads floating around. Search the music area too.

DSotM - Floyd
Avalon - Roxy Music
Other Side - Godsmack

In Absentia - Porcupine Tree
Reanimation - Linkin Park

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
DVD-As: Steely Dan: Gaucho, Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells. But then again, I'm old. Just too damn bad I own everyting.

Matt34

Matt34

Put me down for ordering In Absentia - Porcupine Tree in DVD-A. Heard too many good reviews to pass it up. This way if I like it I'll order Deadwing also.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
While I liked In Absentia, I didn't really like Deadwing. I found them to be very different sounding albums. The latter is much heavier, sorta metal-like at times, while the former is a bit softer and melodic. So while you like one, you might not like the other. Or you might. Just wanted to give a heads up.

cheers,
supervij

A

alpharetta

Audioholic Intern
Orders Completed

Thanks all for your advice. I created a list a shoped online today. Here they are:

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
Avalon - Roxy Music
Sea Change - Beck
Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me
Hourglass - James Taylor
Brothers In Arms
The Other Side by Godsmack
Flamenco A Go-Go [DVD-Audio]
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Reanimation - Linkin Park
Gaucho
The Police every breath you take
Greendale - Neil Young

I bought items on ebay, half ebay, amazone, and https://www.dvdempire.com
If you know other great online store, please let me know.
Thanks again

T

tomrowe125

Audiophyte
Sorry, late to this thread, but...

... if you ever get an itch for classical, try these SACDs: 1. Mahler: Symphony no. 3/ Bach Suite (Chailly, Royal Concertgebouw Orch.-Decca) 2. Mozart: Requiem, K. 626 (Harnoncourt, Arnold Schoenberg Choir/ Concentus Musicus Wien- Deutsche Harmonia Mundi) 3. Rautavaara: Book of Visions; Symphony no. 1 (Franck, National Orchestra of Belgium- Ondine) 4. Handel: An Ode for St. Cecilia's Day (King, The King's Consort/Choir- Hyperion) 5. Hanson: Symphony no. 2, "Romantic"; Bold Island Suite, etc. (Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops Orchestra- Telarc)
Timeless music in fantastic sound. Incidentally, my reason initially for buying a universal player was also Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon; also timeless music! But classical was never far from my mind... Good, good stuff. Available at ArkivMusic.com (all classical), plus the other posted websites. ------------------------------------------- My system: Onkyo TX-DS797 Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai DefTech PowerMonitor 700s(l/r) DefTech CLR 2500 Toshiba 30" CRT (ab. 18 yrs. old!) JVC HR-S5400U S-VHS VCR (on last legs) Microsoft XBox Nintendo GameCube Nintendo 64 old JVC jam box speakers for surrounds! (eventually DefTech BP-Xs)

Last edited:
Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT

Junior Audioholic
My favorite DVDA/SACD's:

Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green's)- Live at the BBC (DVD-A Multi Ch) Great music, surround mix is natural.

T Rex- Electric Warrior (SACD Multi Ch) Multichannel sounds awesome!

Bob Dylan- Blood On the Tracks, Highway 61.., Blonde On Blonde, Desire, Nashville Skyline, Bringing It All Back Home etc (SACD Multi Ch) These are all great in multichannel!

Rolling Stones- all of them (SACD stereo)

Animals- Retrospective (SACD stereo)

Dubliners- Transatlantic something or other(DVD-A Multi Ch) This one is fantastic!

The Who- Tommy (DVD-A Multi Ch) another great 5.1 mix that sounds natural.

Can- Tago Mago (SACD stereo) weird stuff.

Didn't like the Neil Young DVD-A of On The Beach or Harvest either, I prefer the redbook mix more for some reason.

Also the Nick Drake-Treasury I had high hopes for, but Pink Moon sounds horrible on it because of an overly bassy/percussive acoustic guitar tap :( I'll stick with the redbooks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis