You have to check this out!!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
"Break-in Period

All Nola products, including Blue Thunder cable, require a minimum of 100 hours use with music before speakers and cables will settle down to their final performance. During this break-in period the sound will usually be somewhat tight and constrained. As the system breaks in you will notice an increase in ease and openness to the sound, with improved dynamics."

Thats taken from this website; http://www.nolaspeakers.com

I can sort of understand the breaking in of speakers even though a 100 hours seems short. :rolleyes: But speaker wire?? :eek: WTF????

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
I wonder why they didn't mention that you might have to top up the speaker wire oil during the break-in period. :confused:

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder why they didn't mention that you might have to top up the speaker wire oil during the break-in period. :confused:
Does it void your warranty if you use 10w30 instead of the recommended 5w30? :)

This stuff is ridiculous. If a cable needs 100 hours to 'break in' I don't want it. The recommended break in period should be 2 minutes.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Does it void your warranty if you use 10w30 instead of the recommended 5w30? :)

This stuff is ridiculous. If a cable needs 100 hours to 'break in' I don't want it. The recommended break in period should be 2 minutes.
I did not think it was possible to break in cable. :p

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
DO you have to wrap it in a rubber band and let it sit in the closet for the winter next to your baseball glove? :D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
They're probably dancing cables which need a little stretching before they do their thing :D

B

B3Nut

Audioholic
The mind boggles at the number of snakes they had to slaughter to get all the snake oil they're pedding. Herpetologists everywhere should be outraged! :D

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Cable signals can need time to settle but not 100 hrs, speakers do have a real and many times easy to hear break-in period which can easily take 100 hrs, maybe more if sound levels are never allowed to exercise the drivers.

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
The break in on a cable happens as you take it out of the package and try to straighten it out enough that it doesn't coil up as you try to connect it. Saying a cable has a break in period is like trying to say that a sewer pipe or a garden hose has to go through a proper break in period before you can expect water or waste to flow properly.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It is actually serious business for these folks. Obviously cables don't have a break in and, for that matter, neither do speakers. What breaks in is our familiarity with a change in sound. After 100 hours we will prefer what we have to what we had in the past because of familiarity - just part of perceptual hearing. That reduces returns. Hopefully, the cable won't produce a change in sound but the psychology of familiarity still plays a roll.

But I think that, if you aim the speakers toward Mecca, they might break in a little sooner. ;)

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Esoteric Cables

They are probably cryogenically treated speaker cables.
It takes 100 hours for them to "thaw out" :D

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
It is actually serious business for these folks. Obviously cables don't have a break in and, for that matter, neither do speakers. What breaks in is our familiarity with a change in sound. After 100 hours we will prefer what we have to what we had in the past because of familiarity - just part of perceptual hearing. That reduces returns. Hopefully, the cable won't produce a change in sound but the psychology of familiarity still plays a roll.
In behavioral economics this is what is known as the recency effect.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Now I really do understand the cable debate but to argue that a speaker doesnt break-in is simple minded........SPEAKER BREAK-IN IS REAL, not only is it real it is many times dramatic.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis