Yikes! Too Many Choices For A Novice

R

Real McCoy

Audiophyte
I have an ONKYO TX-SR503 receiver, a 60" Sony Grand Vega television and about $1250 to spend on a surround sound system for a 15 x 20 room with 10 foot ceilings. I'm lost at the possibilities on what to do first, how to use the money I have for the best results, and what speakers, speaker brands, and ways to go about setting up a system that is satisfying and is the best bang for the buck. Would some of you experienced experts give me an honest appraisal of how to proceed. I live near a major metropolitan area and just about any store or product I might want is readily available. Speaking in some relatively simple English, please send me some objective advice and/or opinions on how to start. Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, for that price and room size, I'd say take a look at www.svsound.com and their SBS and SCS packages. Your receiver should have just enough power to handle them adequately, though more power would be better. The PB-12 sub will do very well in that room but the PB-10 should be more than sufficient as well.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Speaking in some relatively simple English, please send me some objective advice and/or opinions on how to start.
Start listening to as many speakers as possible. Find out which sounds the best to you.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
I feel your pain.

I was in your boat a short while ago. I was looking to revamp my entire system. I bought a new TV a new DVD player and a new pre-amp and amp. I thought the speakers were going to be easy to pick out. I was wrong. I just started by reading about the different types (bookshelf vs. floor standing); what sounded best for a 16' by 13' room with vaulted ceilings...etc. I read a lot of reviews to get an idea and then I want to about 4 different home theater stores (only one was a "big box" store: Best Buy because it had a Magnolia HiFi in it) to have a listen. Don't be afraid to buy them and take them home even if you are not 100% sure. Most stores have at most 30 day no hassle (no restocking fee) return policies.

C

chicago25624

Audioholic Intern
Listen Listen Listen

I must agree with davemcc, go listen to as many different speakers as you can. Audition as many as you can, and for as long as it takes.

We all have our favorite speakers. B&W, M&K, Definitive, RBS, or XYZPDQ. OK I threw that one in to see if you were paying attention. I have owned every one of the speakers above, and all have a special quality.

A couple of rules I live by.

1 Take the music you listen to, to the store to audition the speakers. This is what is going to be playing at your house. Although Acoustic Alchemy, or Diana Krall may sound great in the demo room, it that what you're going to listen to at home?

2. Take your time and listen as long as it takes. If the salesman/person/woman wants to hurry you along, leave immediately. They don't give a flying **** about you, they only want your money.

3. Don't listen to what the sales people think they sound like. What do you think they sound like? Do you get tired of listening to them quickly? Do you like what they sound like? Listen to them at the volume you usually listen to music/movies at.

4. Listen to them from many different angles. In the sweet spot, off axis right and left.

5. Make sure the amp/receiver they are using is comparable to what you have at home.

6. If you are buying these for mainly surround sound and movies, remember 80% of the movie comes out of that center channel speaker. DO NOT SKIMP HERE!!!!!!!.

But what ever you do, just listen. Listen. Listen. Take your time and Listen.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Well, for that price and room size, I'd say take a look at www.svsound.com and their SBS and SCS packages. Your receiver should have just enough power to handle them adequately, though more power would be better. The PB-12 sub will do very well in that room but the PB-10 should be more than sufficient as well.
I second this system.

I will also add a recommendation for AV123 x-series speakers. If there is anyway to do the x-series mtm's I say go for it.

2-mtm's $449
2-x-ls bookshelf $219
1-cs-center $139

$807 plus shipping

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=55

Leaves about $350 for a subwoofer. I recommend spending an extra $100 over your budget, and getting the SVS sub.

R

ronaldor9

Audiophyte
hey guys what do u think of aperion system for watching movies only

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis