yet another "which sub ?"

H

heluani

Audiophyte
Well, I have read several threads here with recomendations on subwoofers and I am overwhelmed with all the options. As of now, my setup is

Onkyo Receiver TX-SR504
Front: Paradigm Titans
Center Channel: Paradigm CC170
Surround: Some crappy Sony speakers

I need a sub for a small room (about 5x6 meters, only movies) and since the whole setup is entry-level I was looking between $150-$250. My local Paradigm store would recomend a Paradigm sub for about $600 to go with the Titans, but somehow I thought this is overkill (though I do respect the guys at Music Lovers in the bay area, all their recomendations where great so far). From what I've read in these forums I am between the Velodyne VX10 (for about $150) and Onix-X (for $200). Should I wait (and save) and get the Paradigm or would any of these do the job?

Thanks,

R.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
It'll be cheaper to save your money and buy the better sub the first time. And even then I probably wouldn't buy the Paradigm.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Their recommendation isn't the problem, it is what you get for that $600 that is the problem. Paradigm's lower subs aren't all that great... Your room sounds a bit large, so you may want something more substantial than the subs mentioned, however what exactly you are looking for is obviously a factor as well. I would wait and save, but I wouldn't go with Paradigm...

HSU is currently having a sale and they have the STF-2 for $319 right now. I'd shoot for that guy if you can stretch the budget that much. If you want to save a little longer, the SVS PB-10 should do well in that room also.

K

kgb540

Audioholic
j_garcia has it pegged. Go for the HSU STF-2 in a room that size. for you it has everything you need going for it.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Elemental Designs are making some noise over at AVS...it's too soon for many user reviews, but the A2-300 is in your range and a couple of folks are getting it soon. Specs are slightly misleading, but the fans are giving them the benefit of the doubt based on their responses and reputation. $270 shipped for 18hz flat (with room gain) is something to check into.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=750685

J

jotham

Audioholic
I know, I know, I keep plugging this sub

build your own, it's a piece of cake and the build quality is top-notch. $288 shipped and I strongly doubt that anything matches it for the price though you do have to assemble it. You may have to buy a $10 can of spray adhesive as well.

Parts Express carries it, it is part number 300-760. The sub driver itself is amazing, I'm seriously considering it for my next hometheater sub (but probably the 12" version).

http://www.************.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-760

http://www.onhifi.com/product/dayton_titanicsub.htm

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to recommend the X-Sub, but I don't think it will be quite enough for a room that size.

I've been reading about those Elemental subs. If you get a chance to hear one, let me know Ron.

H

heluani

Audiophyte
Thanks a lot for the replies, then I guess I'll wait for a while, I had seen the SVS PB-10 and I guess from your answers that it is worth it to save for it. I'll look into the HSU STF-2 and the A2-300. As for the DIY recomendation, well, you can't imagine how clumpsy I am, so I sort of like the idea of getting something new with a warranty (which I wouldn't have if I screw up building my own).

Thanks again.

R.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Goes HSU STF-2, good sub, nice extension, quickness, and volume.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you're actually interested in a kit, since you're in the bay area, I could build it for you. I've built a number of speakers. I've also owned the PB-10 and under $500 it is what I would get. Even the Titanic 12" kit will not go as low as the PB-10. I've also owned the VTF-2 and it is a very good sub as well.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I own a Paradigm PDR 8 sub, it's gathering dust because it's the worst sub I have every heard. I did not know any better when I bought it. The Hsu subs on sale are a great buy IMO. I have had a Hsu for six years, and I love it.

Nick

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
John,

I'm actually skeptical about the ED sub, probably due to the Cadence XSub. It should be checked out though. If you are only spending $235, what can you expect...a budget sub. I went that way earlier and while there's quality at various price points, they don't usually overlap except a bit further north. However, let's find out first, I'd love to be surprised.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis