Yes - Magnification

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I was just trolling for some 5.1 mixes at Tower Records. Yes was a favorite band back in the 70's, but I'd lost touch. I picked up the DVD A version of Magnification, hoping that there would still be some connection and improvement over memory.

My player isn't DVD A so I only have heard it in DD, but I've got to say I am amazed and awed. These guys always used to kick my brain to a higher plane and this newer stuff sets the bar even higher. Brilliant mix, brain compacting harmonies combined with adrenelin rhythm changes. The band is starting to look decrepid, but they haven't slowed down creatively.

I haven't aged a bit either.

R

Red

Audioholic
Ron Temple said:
I haven't aged a bit either.
You and me both Ron. :D I've seen Yes eight times. the topper was 1976 in St Louis at the old Kiel Auditorium in the first row. Was weeks before the hearing got back to normal and after all these years and other very loud shows, normal is probably just a state of mind. :)

In college we would turn out the lights, turn on the black lights (am aging myself) pull out some budweisers, perhaps (and this is still only a rumor) light something that was not quite legal, put either Close to the Edge, Yessongs etc on the BIC turntable and have a Yes concert......the good old days :eek:

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check out Magnification

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Love Yes. Very talented musicians. Thanks for the tip.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
Red,

I saw them in 1972 at Winterland in SF. Just released Fragile, Black Sabbath was the headliner. Must have seen them every time they came through the Bay Area until the early 80's. It's been at least 20 years since I've paid any attention. Looks like I'm going to have to hunt some other Yes works that I've missed.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
About a week ago I chanced upon a HDTV showing of a recent Yes concert. I can't recall if it was in INHD, INHD2, or else on our local PBS-HD.

I only watched for a while - I'm only familiar with the Yes Album and Fragile, and so didn't recognize what they were playing while I was watching.

Rick Wakeman was at the keyboards.

They were doing some slow-paced material, that was more majestic-sounding than exciting (in my view), but the playing and Jon Anderson's voice were in good form, I thought.

I'm sure this will be re-run at some point.

R

Red

Audioholic
rschleicher, thats good information but did you like it? do you recommend it if we chance upon it? Granted, I'm a Yes fan but others on the site may not be so enlightened and your opinion is interesting.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
I can't say that I really "liked it", it was a little too down-tempo for me. But, the musicianship and quality of the singing/playing was good. For me, the better adjectives would be "interesting", and "majestic sound".

I think it would appeal a lot to existing Yes fans, but probably not much to anyone who didn't like Yes to begin with.

That said, I would have perked up a lot if they had played "Roundabout", "Starship Trooper", or some of the songs off their earlier albums that I'm more familiar with.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
rschleicher said:
I can't say that I really "liked it"
Some music just strikes you, sucks you in and elevates. That's what happens to me with Yes and some other composer/musicians of that skill level. But it leaves other totally cold. My wife will leave the room rather than listen, even though she recognizes the skill. She likes different things. I can't listen to her country either.

Thanks for the tip though. I'll keep a look out. Over at AVS Forums, they report that the DVD A "Fragile" is a mind blower too. The 5.1 mix is killer.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
This is a bit off-topic, but the other cool HD concert I saw recently was a Peter Gabriel show, performed at an "in the round" venue. The performance of "In Your Eyes" (or is it just "Your Eyes"??) was incredible.

Other HD showing to watch out for are:

- Eric Clapton's "Crossroads" festival (multi-day blues (or blues-related) festival held down in Texas - the HD broadcast was more or less a one song per act highlights show). Artists included EC, Buddy Guy, BB King, John Mayer, Joe Walsh, Robert Cray, ZZ Top, Vince Gill (who I didn't realize is a heck of a guitar player). Lot's of duet-soloing with Clapton and the others - I guess that's the perk you get when you organize the thing.

- The Who live at the Isle of Wight (remixed in 5.1) - filmed around the time of Live at Leeds, I think - the show included almost all of Tommy. Sound a little gritty - but the whole band is in great form, esp. Keith Moon.

R

Red

Audioholic
rschleicher said:
This is a bit off-topic, but the other cool HD concert I saw recently was a Peter Gabriel show, performed at an "in the round" venue. The performance of "In Your Eyes" (or is it just "Your Eyes"??) was incredible.
rschleicher, you got it right "In Your Eyes". Peter Gabriel shows are great.

Eric Clapton with a bunch of blues masters, The Who.....I appreciate your taste in music :cool:

W

WeAreSurrounded

Audioholic
YES in surround

Hi all,
Yes, YES' "Magnification" is a really great album especially when listened to in surround (DVD-A). For all of you hooked on more classic YES, there's an incredibly well mixed "Fragile" available on DVD-A. Out of this world sound !!!And if you would like to be immersed in the best of both of these worlds (new and old YES music) check out the DVD "YES Symphonic Live 2001": great sound, great mix, great atmosphere (Amsterdam, Holland) and the Ol' Guys (plus the very young but brilliant keyboardist) in a top-notch form. Highly recommended !

And if you would like to check some other "symphonic/classic rock" masterpieces , mixed in 5.1, I also recommend the ELP "Brain Salad Surgery" - unbelievable !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis