H

Haasenator

Enthusiast
Hi guys or (gals)

Just recently I bought a Yamaha HTR-5660 for 400$ canadian. It seems pretty good but a tad bright. Are there better recievers out there for this price. I bought it because it was on sale and it looks like high quality stuff. If you have any comments, concerns or just general info about it please feel free to post. Yamahalover you seem pretty knowledgeable with Yamaha's because you deal with them alot. By the way I like alot of bass and the Yamaha isn't to crazy with the bass but would other recievers be better. It appears to me that this reciever is the top of entry level.

Thanks

Link:
http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gAVR00010HTR-5660

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
If you like bass then stay off Yamahas for good, same goes for their speakers, what you percieve as bright is articulate to some like myself. May I ask, what speakers you are using, some speakers compliment Yamaha sonic character quite well and others exagerrate the so called brightness.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Don't know if you have a Good Guys store near you but they're advertising the Yammy 3300 for,basically,1/2 price at $740.I have had one since Jan. & like it.It's an excellent value @ that price & has good power & bass.

H

Haasenator

Enthusiast
Soundstage

Hi

I have soundstage speakers and they seem to work o.k with the yammie but they dont compliment it like I would like. I dont know if you have ever heard of soundstage speakers but they are supposedly distributed by JBL. I'm think about buy a sub right now to fill the craving for bass. And yes the yamaha is a very articulate reciever. Thanks and for the info.

P.s would paradigram atoms work good with this amp.

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Yamaha Receivers Bright/Bass Shy????

I am afraid I have to disagree with Yamahaluver.

Yamaha makes a very neutral receiver that is not bright or bass shy. If you feel that you are getting too much treble why not simply turn down the treble control. That is why the control is there in the first place. Also, Yamaha receivers will put out as much bass as any receiver (of the same power ratings).

I am currently using a RX-V1400 and find it to sound EXACTLY the same as any other receiver I have ever used (meaning that it amplifies sound perfectly and doesn't color it in any way).

You can greatly enhance bass response by placing your speakers on the floor and in a corner. You would be amazed at the difference speaker placement can make. Experiment, find out what is best for you.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
ruadmaa,

Couldnt agree with you more, the reason I dont usually get into this argument is because speakers have always been the major culprit especially when a neutral component is matched to them. Depending on their design, they would either exagerrate or mute the frequencies, room coupling is also another major issue. There are few speakers in the market which come close to neutrality. I have always felt that Yamaha's amp and high end speakers are among the most neutral but then to some that very neutral sound translates to excessively bright, just like when you first use a spectrum analyzer and equalize your room with a parametric EQ.

Haasenator,

If you can, audition your receiver with a Yamaha NS-555/777 speakers and a Yamaha YST-SW1500 sub, the Paradigm speakers as well as Axiom are also very good match for your receiver.

U

Unregistered

yamahaluver system

I also have a yamaha amp(rx-v440 don't laugh) and I also experience this brightness when I had the bass and treble set evenly. I simply added one more notch to the bass and it was fixed.

Now for yamahaluver, it is quite obvious you like yamaha, and I am the same. In the future I would consider upgrading my speakers.

I would like to know what yamaha products (or your whole system if it is all yamaha) that you have. I always wanted a yamaha sub, but opted out for an energy.

thx.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Unregistered, I have a long list of Yamaha and non Yamaha components, contact me by PM or mail and I will give you the details.

U

Unregistered

i can't

because i use a hotmail emial address i can't become a member for i don't recieve an email.

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Yamaha components:
Yamaha MX-1000, MX-630, MX-1 amplifiers, DSP-AZ9 HT receiver, Yamaha NS-1000x speaker, NS-300 speaker, NSC-300 speaker, NS-100 as rear surrounds, three Yamaha subs, two YST SW 800 in fronts and one YST SW-320 in rear. Yamaha NS-100 speakers for rears and NS-90 for front effects surrounds. Yamaha EQ-550 equalizer, Yamaha KX-952 deck, Yamaha CDX-1050 CD player, Yamaha DVD-S2300 SACD/DVD player.

Non Yamaha components:
Canton Ergo 120 speakers, Technics SL1200 Mk-II turntable, SONY 730ES deck, Accuphase DP 70V CD player. Recently acquired a Chinese made Koksan amplifier which so far appears to be a superb value for money. ADC Parametric EQ with RTA, dbx sonic processor, BBE sonic processor.

BTW: If you are looking for a free POP mail service check out www.hotpop.com which is totally free with POP access and is very reliable. Would enable you to become a member of this great forum and would love to have you as a fellow Yamaha supporter. :)

Last edited:
H

Haasenator

Enthusiast
Wish I didnt live in such a remote location

Thanks guys.

The really is sucks living in such a remote location. Very hard to find good speakers like paradrigam and Axiom. The list goes on so I have to go for stuff that is somewhat medicore. But oh well. I find the yammie to be very detailed and acurate but my speakers are very edgy which dosen't bode well with the yamaha. Alot of people are telling me that I could have bought a nice Onkyo for about the same price range and they think it would be much better. What are your opinions on this matter? :D

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Haasenator,

Try auditioning Yamaha NS-555/777 and see if it suits your taste. In Canada, you can also check out Yamaha's higher end NS-7/8 HX speakers but they will increase your budget substantialy.

H

Haasenator

Enthusiast
Klipsch

Hey Yamahaluver

What do you think the Klipsch SF-1's would sound like on my amp. I think it would be bright and it would start to ring but don't know yet. The reason I ask is they have went on sale for 800$ to 400$ canadian. Also do you think I would need a good subwoofer to have good bass. Thanks ;)

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Lots of people like the Yamaha/Klipsch combo but it is not to my taste, I would suggest you look at Yamaha/Paradigm, Yamaha/Axiom or Yamaha/Yamaha(NS-555/777) combo, for bass, nothing beats size and wattage and but then if you have a small room, a big sub can ruin the entire balance of your system. Go by your requirments.

Last edited:
S

shlomore

Enthusiast
yamaha and paradaigm

hello all

my paradaigm studio-80 is conected to a dsp az-9 and the sound is as good as it can get...trust me on that,it wont get so much better then this combo.
all my speakers in my ht as well as multi chanell music are paradaigm,and so far i never heard any thing even close to those wonderful speakers,if you live in canada you should feel lucky as well as proud for having such great speakers made by your great country,,,,pay them a visit in their factory in toronto and you wont regreat a bit..

have a nice listening !!!

H

Haasenator

Enthusiast
Athena??????????

Hey Yamahaluver,

What do you think the Athena AS-F2's would sound like on my amp. They don't have a very "forward" high end so I think it would compliment my amp very well. They also have a good amount of bass because of the dual 8" woofers. I going to buy them, I think, if I could get a good price. Just wondering what you think about Athena. They seem like a good canadian company.

'Haas in the house. Hass out the house' :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis