Yamaha YPAO vs. SPL Meter

C

Chitown2477

Audioholic
Hello all,
I have the Yamaha RX-V1600 with the YPAO speaker / settings calibration tool. I am curious if the YPAO's accuracy is a close to that of a manual calibration with a SPL meter. I typically change the speaker settings from large to small and the crossover to 80 from 60. The speaker distances are close as well. However, I am not sure how accurate the settings are at a certain sound level, which I presume and SPL can tell me.

I just purchased the Digital Video Essential Blu-ray version to determine how well my display is calibrated. (Not enough cash for IFS right now). Depending on the responses from you all, I might go by and SPL meter and calibrate both the display and sound.

Any thoughts?

Drell

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
YPAO sucks. I ended up having to calibrate everything again manually with an SPL meter. The Audessey XT on Onkyo, Marantz, and Denon receivers is greatly superior.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
In my experience YAPO has been just as accurate as any other system in regards to basic calibration (level, distance, size). Like all auto systems I have used, it often sets the wrong size, gets the distance wrong on the sub, and sets the sub too low. As far as levels go, however, I have found it to be dead on in my own system as well as many others I have setup and double checked with an SPL meter. I can't comment on the accuracy of the EQ in any of the systems as I have never actually done any measurements. I can say that after a year of having mine enabled (YAPO) I turned it off.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I say just set everything manually, that way you know it's right. It's not hard to measuer the distances and setting the levels is easy as well.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
The distance figures more than physical distance oh wait...not for Yammies....

Audessey baby!:D
I say just set everything manually, that way you know it's right. It's not hard to measuer the distances and setting the levels is easy as well.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I think my 661 will be my last Yammy receiver. Nowadays all Yamaha cares about is stuffing as many DSP options as they can which I never even use (other than PLIIx when I watch netflix through my Roku). Their new models measure pretty poorly compared to advertised specs (see 863 review) too. I think I might go for one of those new Marantz as they are dead sexy looking and have Audessey. Even Onkyo is slipping as their new models don't seem to hold a candle to last year's.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yapo

The auto setup on my Yamaha is accurate for setting the SPL levels and distances for my speakers. I just go and edit the speaker size and crossover like you suggest. I also disable the Yamaha PEQ feature.

It you use the manual setup with an SPL meter you should get the same results within +/- 0.5 dB.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis