panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I got my new Yamaha YAS-203 sound bar yesterday. I got it from A4L for $150. MSRP is $399.

It's actually pretty decent for the price. The refurbished price. This is nowhere near worth $400. I guess the electronics are what you're paying for. It supports Dolby Digital and DTS and acts as an IR repeater and can learn IR commands, but the money wasn't spent on the drivers. It is obviously a step above my TV speakers, but so is my smart phone. The sub has localization issues, but that's not a surprise. I just need to put it next to the sound bar to fix that. I had put it next to my nightstand and it's distracting.

For casual music listening and TV watching this thing will do the trick just fine. It's in the master bedroom so if I really want to do "critical listening" I'll go in my office or the theater.

For anyone looking for a good solution on the cheap I can recommend this one without hesitation. If you get it for $150.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Vizio soundbars supposedly have decent sound. I wonder if you've looked at them?
https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3821-C6-38-Inch-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B00SMBG8QY
i did. Listened to one in BB and it was decent. More expensive than the Yammy though. Brother in law has a vizio and he likes it a lot.

I'm happy with this one for the money. I just can't bring myself to spend more than that on a sound bar knowing I could do better with on wall and a separate amp and sub. Would cost more, but would sound much better. Not all that concerned with it being a bedroom system.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I just got a chance to really dial it in and I can say I'm totally satisfied with this little guy. Mighty impressive now that the sub is where it should be. Bass extension is admirable for what it is. I listened to a few NIN songs from Add Violence and it actually sounded quite good. Nice soundstage like the Cnet review said. Not spectacular, but for a soundbar this I have to say is the best one I've heard in the under $500 range. It'd still be difficult to pay $400 for it, but the more I listen to it the more I like it.

I can't believe I like a sound bar. Maybe I'm getting old?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis