Yamaha WXAD-10 with Denon AVR 1706 AV Recevier

Y

yannssolo

Audiophyte
Hello to all,

I am new here, i would like to have some help to make the good choice about some equipment i want to buy.
I have a Denon AVR 1706 receiver. It's quite old and does not have hdmi/wifi...I have 4 Triangle Elara LN01 on it and a sub.

Now, I would like to play local music and also stream qobuz hifi on these Triangle speakers (only both front ones for stereo)

I think about two possibilities, that are quite cheap : Chromecast audio and mostly Yamaha WXAD-10. For the CA, it's straight forward, i plug it into the optical input of my AV Receiver. But I heard that CA is sometimes problematic with FLAC audio files, and i do not want to convert all my local flac files. Is it true ?

Thus, which is the best way to plug the Yamaha WXAD-10 on my receiver ? There are Ext. In inputs, and "normal" analog input ? What would be the difference between them ?

If i understood well, if i plug it to ext. in inputs, the receiver acts only as an amp, there is no signal processing done, but i could not modify bass or treble, only the volume, it is right ?

And, if i plug it into the "normal" analog inputs, i don't see what would happened because the digital to analog conversion would be done once with the Yamaha DAC and then, the signal goes through all the AV Receiver surround circuitry, for processing. In this case i would not hear the Yamaha "sound". It's like the receiver would defeat the Yamaha sound processing and apply its own processing, no ?

Could you please telle me if my thinking is correct ?

Thanks a lot

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thus, which is the best way to plug the Yamaha WXAD-10 on my receiver ? There are Ext. In inputs, and "normal" analog input ? What would be the difference between them ?

If i understood well, if i plug it to ext. in inputs, the receiver acts only as an amp, there is no signal processing done, but i could not modify bass or treble, only the volume, it is right ?
That is correct.

And, if i plug it into the "normal" analog inputs, i don't see what would happened because the digital to analog conversion would be done once with the Yamaha DAC and then, the signal goes through all the AV Receiver surround circuitry, for processing. In this case i would not hear the Yamaha "sound". It's like the receiver would defeat the Yamaha sound processing and apply its own processing, no ?
You can minimize such effects by selecting "Direct", but if you are concerned about losing the "Yamaha sound processing" (that's really a myth, pretty sure the difference is not audible if you select direct mode).

Could you please telle me if my thinking is correct ?
You are correct except the "Yamaha sound processing" part, that should not be affected if you select the Denon's direct mode, or even the stereo mode. For what you want to do, there are no audible benefits in using the ext. inputs, only the inconvenience. Those inputs are for mulitchannel inputs from SACD, DVDA etc., and I am sure you know that already.

Last edited:
Y

yannssolo

Audiophyte
That is correct.

You can minimize such effects by selecting "Direct", but if you are concerned about losing the "Yamaha sound processing" (that's really a myth, pretty sure the difference is not audible if you select direct mode).

You are correct except the "Yamaha sound processing" part, that should not be affected if you select the Denon's direct mode, or even the stereo mode. For what you want to dot, there are no audible benefits in using the ext. inputs, only the inconvenience. Those inputs are for mulitchannel inputs from SACD, DVDA etc., and I am sure you know that already.
Thanks a lot for your answer, that's clear know, i know what to do. Thanks again

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis