Yamaha Vs. Denon AVR sound profile

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
I have my old Yamaha RX V-473 running my new KEF R'3's in 2 channel. Soon I'll be auditioning them with a Denon X4400H.

I've heard Marantz is "warm," Denon warm but a little brighter than Marantz. Yamaha seems accurate and a little bright to me, I like it, but I really don't have much experience with the sound profiles of other AVR's...

Any input on sound profile differences?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think that the whole sound profile thing across a brand's many owners/factories/employees let alone models is a bit insane when it comes to labeling them as warm or neutral or bright or whatever, let alone what are usually speaker descriptions. I have had several brands of avrs and don't find the sound signatures aside from specific dsp to be an issue. Get the power and features you need. The Denon 4000 is an old unit, assume you mean 4400 or maybe 4300 or 4500? I think as was pointed out in another thread you posted in, the Denon has advantages over your old Yamaha avr in terms of power/impedance handling.

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
I think that the whole sound profile thing across a brand's many owners/factories/employees let alone models is a bit insane when it comes to labeling them as warm or neutral or bright or whatever, let alone what are usually speaker descriptions. I have had several brands of avrs and don't find the sound signatures aside from specific dsp to be an issue. Get the power and features you need. The Denon 4000 is an old unit, assume you mean 4400 or maybe 4300 or 4500? I think as was pointed out in another thread you posted in, the Denon has advantages over your old Yamaha avr in terms of power/impedance handling.
Corrected. Yes I'll soon have an X4400H.... :) Right... The specs I have some more understanding with but with all the interpretations of how they sound I don't have much experience. I do understand sound interpretation is totally subjective.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Give it a try, but keep in mind there are many options for playback so make sure you understand all the adjustments and options....I've got a couple Denons and they're nice units. Had a roommate before with one, too, and it was fine as well. They're more similar than different aside from functionality and power....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis